2022 RAM 3500 HO Cummings Aisin transmission trouble.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoppslover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO Cummings
This just happened to me last Friday while on our way to a camping trip. Stranded 4 hours away from home to sort most of it out on my own. 2022 3500 dually with 12,600 miles.

Attachments

• 20230526_204458.jpg
    20230526_204458.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 7

speedon13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Just purchased a new 2022 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins HO Dully to pull a 2023 Grand Design Solitude (spent over $240,000 for both). Got the trailer loaded up attached to the truck using a GEN-Y gooseneck and proceeded to drive 15 miles. Slowed at a red light went to engage the gas and NOTHING! 4X4 disengaged and check engine light came on. Truck has 2119 miles with 15 of them towing, complete failure of transmission. Waited on the side of the road (in tears) with 5th wheel attached for 4hrs before we were able to get a tow. Had to get a friend to tow the 5th wheel back to the storage facility. Loss of all gears except reverse. We were taking our son to college 600 miles away as he had a class starting the next day for college. Had to get a U-Haul and load it up with his belongings. Truck is now at the dealership and I have no intentions of using RAM's parts to rebuild my transmission. I don't believe they have figured out what the exact problem is and don't feel safe towing a 14k lb. plus 5th wheel around behind me. We also have his entire football season RV parks rented starting this August to follow our son around to all his games. Now I'm just hopping to get the truck back before we have to head out again this August. This is our last child, hubby just retired after 26.5 yrs in the ARMY (CW4), and we purchased the truck and 5th wheel together just 2 months ago for this. He now considers the vehicle a lawn ornament.

speedon13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Just purchased a new 2022 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins HO Dully Big Horn to pull a 2023 Grand Design Solitude (spent over $240,000 for both). Got the trailer loaded up attached to the truck using a GEN-Y gooseneck and proceeded to drive 15 miles. Slowed at a red light went to engage the gas and NOTHING! 4X4 disengaged and check engine light came on. Truck has 2119 miles with 15 of them towing, complete failure of transmission. Waited on the side of the road (in tears) with 5th wheel attached for 4hrs before we were able to get a tow. Had to get a friend to tow the 5th wheel back to the storage facility. Loss of all gears except reverse. We were taking our son to college 600 miles away as he had a class starting the next day for college. Had to get a U-Haul and load it up with his belongings. Truck is now at the dealership and I have no intentions of using RAM's parts to rebuild my transmission. I don't believe they have figured out what the exact problem is and don't feel safe towing a 14k lb. plus 5th wheel around behind me. We also have his entire football season RV parks rented starting this August to follow our son around to all his games. Now I'm just hopping to get the truck back before we have to head out again this August. This is our last child, hubby just retired after 26.5 yrs in the ARMY (CW4), and we purchased the truck and 5th wheel together just 2 months ago for this. He now considers the vehicle a lawn ornament.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Just purchased a new 2022 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins HO Dully Big Horn to pull a 2023 Grand Design Solitude (spent over $240,000 for both). Got the trailer loaded up attached to the truck using a GEN-Y gooseneck and proceeded to drive 15 miles. Slowed at a red light went to engage the gas and NOTHING! 4X4 disengaged and check engine light came on. Truck has 2119 miles with 15 of them towing, complete failure of transmission. Waited on the side of the road (in tears) with 5th wheel attached for 4hrs before we were able to get a tow. Had to get a friend to tow the 5th wheel back to the storage facility. Loss of all gears except reverse. We were taking our son to college 600 miles away as he had a class starting the next day for college. Had to get a U-Haul and load it up with his belongings. Truck is now at the dealership and I have no intentions of using RAM's parts to rebuild my transmission. I don't believe they have figured out what the exact problem is and don't feel safe towing a 14k lb. plus 5th wheel around behind me. We also have his entire football season RV parks rented starting this August to follow our son around to all his games. Now I'm just hopping to get the truck back before we have to head out again this August. This is our last child, hubby just retired after 26.5 yrs in the ARMY (CW4), and we purchased the truck and 5th wheel together just 2 months ago for this. He now considers the vehicle a lawn ornament.

FYI its not Ram parts that will be used to fix the trans, the new replacement parts come directly from Aisin... I have read of those who had replacement parts installed and have towed heavy over 3K now without problems. BTW it was a snap rig that is the problem that either come out of the groove and or it snaps an causes K1 Drum problems like you experienced... IMHO if your going to tow your trailer often you should have something like either AAA RV coverage or some other type of towing insurance so that it will take care of not only the truck but also the trailer...

speedon13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Thank you for the reply. Yes, I do understand that Ram is not the part manufacture and that is AISIN. However, Ram is the one contracted with AISIN to have their transmissions installed in the vehicle. Along with not putting out any information as to the issues taking place with the transmissions or even a recall at this point. I have also been reading a lot about Aisin parts and that the snap ring may have been improperly machined. I don't believe that AISIN has fixed the issues with their parts to be comfortable enough to have them replaced with the same ones. There are several owners who have had this done and also had failures, which I do not have that time or luxury. I will be upgrading my transmission which will cost a pretty penny, but it will give me piece of mind over wondering if AISIN properly corrected the issues at hand.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Thank you for the reply. Yes, I do understand that Ram is not the part manufacture and that is AISIN. However, Ram is the one contracted with AISIN to have their transmissions installed in the vehicle. Along with not putting out any information as to the issues taking place with the transmissions or even a recall at this point. I have also been reading a lot about Aisin parts and that the snap ring may have been improperly machined. I don't believe that AISIN has fixed the issues with their parts to be comfortable enough to have them replaced with the same ones. There are several owners who have had this done and also had failures, which I do not have that time or luxury. I will be upgrading my transmission which will cost a pretty penny, but it will give me piece of mind over wondering if AISIN properly corrected the issues at hand.

On the several forums I'm and read almost daily so far no 2021 or 2023 Aisin transmissions have reported to have failed, so far all of those transmission that have failed were made in 2022 and the reason some do not work after the TBS K1 drum install is because the trans had more damage then was first thought at the time of drum install.

BTW so far not one 2023 Aisin transmission has been reported as failing, including the ones installed as a replacement for a failed 2022, so based on information reported to date it looks like Aisin has the snap ring problem corrected..

Also what transmission do you think is better then an Aisin that has been until this snap ring problem has been a very reliable transmission for many years and held up for millions of miles in Ram 3500, 4500 & 5500 trucks with a CTD?

wolfman2022

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO 6.7
What has the average time for repair been for those that had the repair? Currently i am still waiting for my truck to be fixed. It broke down on 16 May.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
What has the average time for repair been for those that had the repair? Currently i am still waiting for my truck to be fixed. It broke down on 16 May.
The longest time to repair that I have read about IIRC was 92 days, recall a new transmission was finally installed when the TSB K1 drum repair failed to fix the transmission....