2022 RAM 3500 HO Cummings Aisin transmission trouble.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sawgunsmith

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 RAM 3500 MEGA Cab Longhorn 4X4
Engine
6.7L I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel
My truck left my wife set 600 plus miles away with a P0731 code.
My truck is a 2022 RAM 3500 MEGA cab Longhorn with HO Cummings and Aisin transmission. It has less than 6600 miles on it and has never been hooked to a trailer.
We had MOPAR Roadside Assistance tow it to RAM Country Fort Stockton which is a very small town in south Texas. The service manager there tells me that they have a technical service bulletin that says they are to find and replace damaged parts and that replacing the transmission is not authorized.
My position is that we bought this truck to be our retirement vehicle. Our traveling vehicle and we planned to put many many miles on it. Now we have a new truck with a transmission that has debris run through it and probably the transfer case and no matter what they do they will never get all that out and I and more importantly she will never trust the truck to be reliable again.
I have opened a complaint with Chrysler over the roadside assistance frustrations, the fact that the warranty only pays $35.00 a day for a rental vehicle and a vehicle that my wife can get her camping gear into to come home with cost us $85.00 a day and we are stuck for the difference, and my wanting the transmission replaced not repaired on such a low mile truck.
My fear is that the transmission has debris run through it and no amount of flushing and filtering will prevent some of the debris from remaining and causing damage or premature wear.
Also, now that I think about it, I'm certain that the transmission and the transfer case are married and share the same fluid. So now I'm worried that even if I get a new transmission there will be debris in the transfer case to deal with.
Can you help alleviate any of my concerns please?

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Tough deal. I'd feel the same as you. Maybe ask for an extended warranty on it?

OP
OP
S

sawgunsmith

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh, I plan on it.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It could be a simple sensor so before you get too wound up you should wait for the diagnosis. It could be a simple fix....

And the transfer case is completely separate, there is no shared fluid. 2 different parts that are connected externally.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I believe the warranty states FCA will repair or replace defective parts at THEIR discretion not the vehicle owners. While having issues with a relatively new vehicle are never fun, it seems FCA is living up to the terms of the warranty. Any repairs would be warranted for the remainder of the warranty terms. We see posts like this fairly often. Someone is not happy with their truck and comes here to complain, vent, etc then they are never heard from again.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
There is an issue with these that cause them to fail at a very early mileage interval, and it's unique to that year and a limited number of units. When they first discovered it, they were installing new units, probably because they needed the broken ones to determine the COF and devise a plan to correct. If you can get it back to the dealer where you bought it, they would probably be more help. Otherwise, I'd open a ticket with @RamCares and let them help guide that dealer through the correct process. It sucks...But that trans is a bullet proof unit and has a simple manufacturing defect that is causing major failures. Once corrected, it'll be fine for a long time.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
There is an issue with these that cause them to fail at a very early mileage interval, and it's unique to that year and a limited number of units. When they first discovered it, they were installing new units, probably because they needed the broken ones to determine the COF and devise a plan to correct. If you can get it back to the dealer where you bought it, they would probably be more help. Otherwise, I'd open a ticket with @RamCares and let them help guide that dealer through the correct process. It sucks...But that trans is a bullet proof unit and has a simple manufacturing defect that is causing major failures. Once corrected, it'll be fine for a long time.
We appreciate being tagged in this. If anyone is need of additional assistance, please reach out to us. We're available via direct messaging.

Callie
Ram Cares

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
They are having a big issue with a manufacturing problem at Aisin. The K1 snap ring can fail, and you lose gears 1-4. It is not clear if it is the snap ring itself, or a machining issue with the groove it resides in. There is a member on CF and HD Rams who has been tracking these failures, and compiling information. There are LOTS of trucks out of commission with this. They were initially swapping transmissions, but there have been several documented failures of replacement transmissions. Ram does not seem to have, or at least admit to, a handle on a build date or serial number range for this issue, and they are being treated on a Fix-As-Fail basis. The current fix, per TSB, is to replace the K1 clutch drum assembly.

BTW, if you quit driving the truck as soon as it failed, current thinking is it is unlikely to have collateral damage. Those that tried low range, and/or flooring it to force it to move to get off a highway/out of danger seem to be the ones that did more significant damage.

You may consider reporting this to NHTSA to help spur a recall, instead of this drip-drip approach. For all the failures that have been documented, only a handful of folks have bothered to report this potentially dangerous situation.

Last edited:

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well, if you’re still making payments on it, stop, then say you apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
This looks exactly like the list that is being compiled by mbarber84 on Cummins Forum..
That is correct. I referenced the two forums I see his posts on, but did not give his name.

As of this morning, 168 trucks listed. Absolutely terrible approach to this by Ram.

OP
OP
S

sawgunsmith

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
BTW, if you quit driving the truck as soon as it failed, current thinking is it is unlikely to have collateral damage. Those that tried low range, and/or flooring it to force it to move to get off a highway/out of danger seem to be the ones that did more significant damage.
My wife was stuck out at a walking trail somewhere in Big Bend park with some of her deaf lady friends. Some quite old. And there was no choice but to move if at all possible and I do not fault my wife for her decision to do so. I don't think anyone would.
Nothing said so far changes the fact that now I have a truck I paid six figures for, waited three weeks short of a year to get, and has les than 6600 miles driven on highway and maintained road without ever been hooked to a trailer that is in all likelihood going to have a repaired transmission with crap run through it that my wife will worry about for as long as we own this thing.
And chri5k above, with responses to posts like the one you gave me, I can understand why you never hear from posters again. Thank you.

homeyclaus

Reaction score
Ram Year
just shopping
Engine
perhaps
My wife was stuck out at a walking trail somewhere in Big Bend park with some of her deaf lady friends. Some quite old. And there was no choice but to move if at all possible and I do not fault my wife for her decision to do so. I don't think anyone would.
Nothing said so far changes the fact that now I have a truck I paid six figures for, waited three weeks short of a year to get, and has les than 6600 miles driven on highway and maintained road without ever been hooked to a trailer that is in all likelihood going to have a repaired transmission with crap run through it that my wife will worry about for as long as we own this thing.
And chri5k above, with responses to posts like the one you gave me, I can understand why you never hear from posters again. Thank you.
At that point keep track of the shop time and lemon law it. There really isn't much else one can do.

CaptMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Has this happened to any 2023's? I have a choice between a new '22, which I like better because of the options, or a 2023. Both DRW. I won't get the '22 unless they do the snap ring repair before I buy it. Thanks.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
And chri5k above, with responses to posts like the one you gave me, I can understand why you never hear from posters again.
He spelled out what the factory warranty is, did you not read the paperwork when you bought the truck?
Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean it not correct. Some people are disillusioned about what the factory warranty should do, several have thought they're entitled a new vehicle because the engine blew.
As for the part about people complaining then never to be seen again, that happens more often than not and it doesn't matter what or how anyone replies to the post.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Has this happened to any 2023's? I have a choice between a new '22, which I like better because of the options, or a 2023. Both DRW. I won't get the '22 unless they do the snap ring repair before I buy it. Thanks.
Have read of one early 2023 special order truck that had a 2022 transmission in it that failed, if you look at the blue metal tag on the side of the trans it starts with a 2 then a letter then numbers like this ( 2-L 1234) its a 2022 transmission if it starts with a 3 then its a 2023 transmission...

wolfman2022

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO 6.7
Add another one to the list. Mine has been in the shop almost 2 weeks with this failure. They told me the reason they are instructed to repair is because if replaced, then you could get another faulty one and be back in the same boat.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Add another one to the list. Mine has been in the shop almost 2 weeks with this failure. They told me the reason they are instructed to repair is because if replaced, then you could get another faulty one and be back in the same boat.
That's a line of BS, the reason for the K1 drum kits is they have found that not all transmission need to be fully replaced, but sometimes the K1 kit being installed does not fix the problems so they then have to order a brand new transmission and that takes many months to arrive...

Last edited: