2022 Ram 3500 with steering issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gjcowboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings ho
I ordered the 2022 Ram 3500 Laramie in March. It now has about 1200 miles on it. As you drive it and go to turn into curves the steering continues to hold the wheels in that direction until you yank them back. If you were to let go of the steering wheel it would continue on that path. It quit after a while and now it’s back. Its real scary with a 18000 lb 5th wheel camper behind you. I took it to the dealership and couldn’t get it to do it of course. It does it in either direction and I have raised and lowered the front tire air pressure from 60 to 85 and made no real difference. Hope some has had this hand know what it is. Almost a self driving truck

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Does it do this with the trailer attached, or only when it's empty...or both? If you have a high hitch weight/high bed load and it does it, have the caster adjusted. Make sure the dealer tech doesn't cross caster that sumbitch...Because a lot of them will.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Are you 100% for certain that it's not your lane assist on maximum help?
This. I noticed my 22 Ltd Longhorn 2500 doing that also. Realized pretty quickly that if I turned off Lane Keep, it stopped. We have a lot of very twisty roads here in the Ozark Mts, so it's nice they put a button on the dash to shut off lane keep easily.

OP
OP
G

Gjcowboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings ho
It was doing it empty no trailer when I first noticed it steering for me. Yesterday it only helped out 2x but not enough to stop at the dealership and show them what was happening. I did shut off the lane assist button and it did not steer for me the rest of the way home. I sure hope that was it. Thanks for the help.

ConstrucringAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2022 with 20000 miles on her you need to go get the alignment checked mine did the same thing and Dealer could not find anything wrong I installed new tires on it at 500 miles and noticed the passenger front has worn the inside bal. To to the dealer and was told the warranty on the front end is only 12 months and 10000 miles. My front end was all out of wack and not adjusted correctly for the get go.

Bruce Rocha Jr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am not positive on this but was not the tierods on a recall? I had mine replace in my 2018 under warrantee.

My truck also has a steering issue where in a corner the steering wheel tightens and then loosens repeatedly in a long corner , it feels like it has electric power steering

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I am not positive on this but was not the tierods on a recall? I had mine replace in my 2018 under warrantee.

My truck also has a steering issue where in a corner the steering wheel tightens and then loosens repeatedly in a long corner , it feels like it has electric power steering
Don't know about tierods, but my 18 2500 CTD had that notchy steering like you describe. They had to replace the power steering box to fix it. My 22 2500 CTD has a similar feel with the lane keep assist on when driving on curvy roads.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
this is a little off the topic but I just drove a 2020 laramie 2500 hemi with only 19000 miles on it and I could not believe the amount of slop in the steering. considering trading my '19 1500 laramie on it. am afraid if this is how it handles at 19,000 how will it be as I put some miles on it. am I wrong in thinking it should be pretty tight and nearly as good handling as my 1500 since it is still relatively new. it was really like piloting a barge. maybe something wrong with this one. feedback from 2500 gasser owners welcome.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
this is a little off the topic but I just drove a 2020 laramie 2500 hemi with only 19000 miles on it and I could not believe the amount of slop in the steering. considering trading my '19 1500 laramie on it. am afraid if this is how it handles at 19,000 how will it be as I put some miles on it. am I wrong in thinking it should be pretty tight and nearly as good handling as my 1500 since it is still relatively new. it was really like piloting a barge. maybe something wrong with this one. feedback from 2500 gasser owners welcome.
I'd say something was wrong. I've not driven a 1500 anything in a lot of years, but my 18 2500 had tight steering before and after they replaced the power steering box. And I've not read of this being an issue, at least on stock trucks. Lifted/leveled, you do read about some issues.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
thanx. the truck is a good price and in every way seems brand new except that the GY transforce 20's are almost worn out. that and the steering got me wondering if maybe the previous owner had some big tires and lift and took that stuff off at trade time and if I buy it, I will be the one to get everything back to spec. my son has a '20 laramie with the same tires and his as do the ones on my '19 all still look new.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I ordered the 2022 Ram 3500 Laramie in March. It now has about 1200 miles on it. As you drive it and go to turn into curves the steering continues to hold the wheels in that direction until you yank them back. If you were to let go of the steering wheel it would continue on that path. It quit after a while and now it’s back. Its real scary with a 18000 lb 5th wheel camper behind you. I took it to the dealership and couldn’t get it to do it of course. It does it in either direction and I have raised and lowered the front tire air pressure from 60 to 85 and made no real difference. Hope some has had this hand know what it is. Almost a self driving truck
We see that you have received some great advice from your fellow forum members! However, if these suggestions do not address your concern and you decide to visit your dealer, our team would be happy to offer additional assistance throughout that process! We're available via private message.

Callie
Ram Cares