2022 Ram Towhaul making engine race

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SusanM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2022 Ram 2500 6.4 and tow a horse trailer with it. While in tow haul the other day when pulling up to a light the engine was really racing and wouldn’t stop. Pulled over and shut it off and then it was fine. Is this a transmission problem?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any lights on? Define really racing - rpms?

OP
OP
S

SusanM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No lights on and not sure about rpm’s but it was revving up. Have an appt at local dealer on the 9th for the radio recall and to check it out. Have to make two trips to Florida towing next montj

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My first guess would be cooling fan too. The other possibility is that if you noticed it only when breaking it was probably just tow haul mode which by design revs your engine up to help with breaking; the high RPMs slows the truck down.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Are you sure when you were braking, that the transmission didn't downshift to a lower gear to help slow down?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a 2022 Ram 2500 6.4 and tow a horse trailer with it. While in tow haul the other day when pulling up to a light the engine was really racing and wouldn’t stop. Pulled over and shut it off and then it was fine. Is this a transmission problem?
If the engine was really racing,odds are it would of been over powering the brakes,and you would of had a hard time getting it stopped at the light.As suggested it was probably the engine cooling fan.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Tow haul will make you hold gears longer and being a gas engine it will rev higher than a diesel to make torque. Sounds pretty normal did it shift after the hill? Or would it never shift? When I had a 6.4 it would run 5k+ accelerating with my camper.

smittyd174

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Tow haul mode is a weird animal , holds gears for longer periods when accelerating sometimes too long . It also downshifts really quick when stopping causing engine racing to aid in stopping .Also these trucks all have learning transmissions and if you don't use tow haul all the time it acts a little wierd until it figures things out .
My 2016 ,3500 with the Aisian Trans took a good day of towing to work as it should .After that worked perfect for the remaing 6 days of the trip . Then it had to relearn for no trailer and then when it was time to head home it had to relearn tow haul .