2023 2500 Tradesman Tire Pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Here is something I have never run into before. I have many years of towing experience and maintained a CDL until I retired. Under normal circumstances, the tire pressure on the door pillar is what is suggested for everyday driving, i.e., 35 PSI all-around, even though the max on your tire sidewall says 65 PSI. My new RAM 2500 door pillar says 75 front/80 rear, and the max on the sidewall is 80. I looked through all the data I could find and that is apparently what it's supposed to be. This is not what I have known from experience. The door pillar is for normal driving and you add PSI according to your load, up to your max PSI on the sidewall, which you pretty much never get to. The manual even says (paraphrased), "The tire pressure indicated on the door pillar is the recommended pressure up to your maximum GVWR." If I were to go by the calculations that I know, it should be running somewhere in the 40 PSI range on every tire, but if I drop it that much my TPMS will come on and not go away until I air it back up to 80 PSI again (so says the manual) For info, I have:

2023 RAM 2500 Tradesman, 2x4, 6.4L Hemi, Reg Cab, LB, GVWR 10,000# GVWR, Payload cap. 3913#, Towing cap. 15,540#, Tires: Firestone Transforce 245/70R17E 119/116R

Anyone got an input?

Last edited:

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I go by the pillar. Can you grab a picture of the door stickers? Does it indicate anything about the pressure? My RAM 1500 just said "Cold Pressure", does your label say something else?

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I go by the pillar. Can you grab a picture of the door stickers? Does it indicate anything about the pressure? My RAM 1500 just said "Cold Pressure", does your label say something else?
Yes sir, as I said in my original post the pillar sticker says 75/80, front and rear respectively. Here is a pic of the yellow one, the white one says the same thing.

I thought that was astronomically high, but when I look at the tread touching the ground it is flat from side to side with no lifting on the edge. And I did the chalk test also on both the front and rear, and it indicates proper inflation. And I've been driving the truck for two months and there is no noticeable wear anywhere on the treads. I also noticed that even with the PSI that high I do not get a particularly rough ride. I'm stymied.

Attachments

• RAM_CargoCap.JPG
    RAM_CargoCap.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 22

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Yes sir, as I said in my original post the pillar sticker says 75/80, front and rear respectively. Here is a pic of the yellow one, the white one says the same thing.

I thought that was astronomically high, but when I look at the tread touching the ground it is flat from side to side with no lifting on the edge. And I did the chalk test also on both the front and rear, and it indicates proper inflation. And I've been driving the truck for two months and there is no noticeable wear anywhere on the treads. I also noticed that even with the PSI that high I do not get a particularly rough ride. I'm stymied.
I have a 2021 2500 gas. My door pillar says 65 rear 60 front, tire is max 80 psi. I switched out the Firestone Transforce ATs that came on it as the off road upgrade tire, because they were totally useless off road. Now running my long term favourite all round tire, Goodyear Duratracs in the same 275-70-18 size that came on the truck.That pillar door pressure is for the 10,000 GVW.

For my normal driving I am running at about 8200 pounds, scale verified. I find the ride WAY WAY better at 45 front 40 rear, empty. The ride quality did not noticeably improve until I got below 50 pounds. My bet is, if you drop yours that far you will also see a tremendous difference.

Tire pressure by weight for a huge variety of tires can be found here.

https://tirepressure.com/lt275-70r18-tire-pressure

I used AlphaOBd to reset the TPMS thresholds to 50 front and 45 back so I don't get the warning light till I go more than 20% below that. You current TPMS is also set at 20% below your door pillar so yours will go off at 60 and 64 pounds respectively.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2021 2500 gas. My door pillar says 65 rear 60 front, tire is max 80 psi. I switched out the Firestone Transforce ATs that came on it as the off road upgrade tire, because they were totally useless off road. Now running my long term favourite all round tire, Goodyear Duratracs in the same 275-70-18 size that came on the truck.That pillar door pressure is for the 10,000 GVW.

For my normal driving I am running at about 8200 pounds, scale verified. I find the ride WAY WAY better at 45 front 40 rear, empty. The ride quality did not noticeably improve until I got below 50 pounds. My bet is, if you drop yours that far you will also see a tremendous difference.

Tire pressure by weight for a huge variety of tires can be found here.

https://tirepressure.com/lt275-70r18-tire-pressure

I used AlphaOBd to reset the TPMS thresholds to 50 front and 45 back so I don't get the warning light till I go more than 20% below that. You current TPMS is also set at 20% below your door pillar so yours will go off at 60 and 64 pounds respectively.
While I agree with most of that, I have to remind you that both the door pillar and owners manual still say 75/80. Reprogramming the TPMS so it will activate at a lower pressure will not change that. If I were to lower the PSI even to the 60/64 you mentioned - which I don't necessarily disagree with - and I have an accident, especially while towing a trailer, the accident investigator will say my tires were grossly underinflated because he is going to go by what the door pillar and the owners manual says. Who knows how that will affect who was at fault. I know this because I am retired LE and I have seen it happen.

As for the 10,000 GVWR thing. The owners manual states that the PSI on the door pillar is to be used up to the GVWR.

The PSI on the door pillar is based on the size of the tires I put on the truck, not the brand, so this means that throughout the life of the vehicle whenever I buy new tires of any brand the 75/80 PSI thing remains the same as long as the tires are the same size.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run my tires between 50 and 55 psi. For the tires I have on my 16 if I remember correctly around 52 psi they will "carry" the grwr. So like you're saying if I were to get in an accident and I was overweight I would also be over my rear axle weight. At that point what's the difference if they're going to come after you for one or the other. I never am over loaded but just saying. 80 psi unloaded is way too much. At least in mine.

I also lowered my tpms limits with alfaobd.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
OP. AT 45 psi all round I am at 10,000 gvw with 2500 pounds per tire, at 60 all round I am at 12,000 gvw, at 80 psi I am at 15,000 pounds load capacity. So would you care to try to explain how Ram gets the pressures they set. Over inflated tires are just as dangerous as under inflated. On top of that they wear poorly, take longer to stop, hop in corners and they ride like crap.

Do what you like but having the tire makers pressure chart for load I have more than adequate defense to a claim my tires were grossly under inflated.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I run my tires between 50 and 55 psi. For the tires I have on my 16 if I remember correctly around 52 psi they will "carry" the grwr. So like you're saying if I were to get in an accident and I was overweight I would also be over my rear axle weight. At that point what's the difference if they're going to come after you for one or the other. I never am over loaded but just saying. 80 psi unloaded is way too much. At least in mine.

I also lowered my tpms limits with alfaobd.
And if you got in an accident and were well within the cargo/axle/towing capacity of you vehicle in all other respects, but were way under the recommended tire pressure listed on the pillar and in your manual?

I guess in a nutshell here is my question:

Why would both the door pillar and the owners manual list the proper inflation for normal driving all the way up to max GVWR as 75/80 PSI when everything tells us that this is not correct? Is it something special about the particular truck I have - 2023 2500 ,regular cab, long bed, with zero options on it giving it the maximum cargo and towing ability for its trim? I have never seen anything like that before...have you?

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
OP. AT 45 psi all round I and at 10,000 gvw with 2500 pounds per tire, at 60 all round I am at 12,000 gvw, at 80 psi I am at 15,000 pounds load capacity. So would you care to try to explain how Ram gets the pressures they set. Over inflated tires are just as dangerous as under inflated. On top of that they wear around, take longer to stop, hop in corners and they ride like crap.

Do what you like but having the tire makers pressure chart for load I have more than adequate defense to a claim my tires were grossly under inflated.
You get no argument from me. What does your door pillar say? I have the tire maker's chart - several different charts, in fact - and they all say for the base weight, front and rear axles, of my RAM it is actually 80 PSI front and rear. My door pillar says 75 front/80 rear, so it is within those specs. So if I get in an accident and my tires are noticeably off from those PSI rating I will be grossly underinflated.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
You get no argument from me. What does your door pillar say? I have the tire maker's chart - several different charts, in fact - and they all say for the base weight, front and rear axles, of my RAM it is actually 80 PSI front and rear. My door pillar says 75 front/80 rear, so it is within those specs. So if I get in an accident and my tires are noticeably off from those PSI rating I will be grossly underinflated.
Like I said above my pillar is front 60 rear 65 for the stock 275 70 18 Firestone Transforce ATs. The manufactures inflation chart from Firestone for the OEM tires shows much lower tire pressure of just over 45 psi at 2500 pounds per tire than the door post shows me.

I would truly love to hear how Ram comes up the the pillar inflation pressures and what their rational is for recommending tires be so over inflated. Got to be a reason but I sure can't figure out what it is.

Last edited:

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Like I said above my pillar is front 60 rear 65 for the stock 275 70 18 Firestone Transforce ATs. The manufactures inflation chart from Firestone for the OEM tires shows https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...cs-sites/firestone/TBR/load-inflation-tabmuch lower tire pressure of just over 45 psi at 2500 pounds per tire than the door post shows me.

I would truly love to hear how Ram comes up the the pillar inflation pressures and what their rational is for recommending tires be so over inflated. Got to be a reason but I sure can't figure out what it is.
I can hazard a guess how they come up with it. In the chart you linked to, if you find your tire size and look in the column for 65 psi, it says the load carrying capacity of the tire at that pressure is 3195. 3195 X two tires = 6390. Guess what the Gross Rear Axle Weight Rating on a gas engine Ram 2500 is. Hint...its 6390. So I don't think its a coincidence that they tell you to use a pressure that ensures your tires are able to carry the same load as the axle. But to me that means that it really is not necessary to use 65 psi when the truck is unloaded. Just my opinion.

What I'm now curios about is why mine has a sticker that says to use 70 instead of 65. I suspect that its because I have the 20 inch wheels with size 285/60-20 but unfortunately I'm not finding that size in the chart.

Edit: I found another source for my size. Its not an official firestone reference but it looks useful.
For my size i.e. 285/60-20 it is different. At 65 PSI it only has a load carrying capacity of 3085. So to get at least as high as the truck's axle rating of 6390, I have to go to 70 psi which gets me a load carrying capacity of 3285 x 2 = 6570. Of course even with my travel trailer hooked up, I'm nowhere close to the GRAWR but even so, when towing, Ill go with at least the 70 psi

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I can hazard a guess how they come up with it. In the chart you linked to, if you find your tire size and look in the column for 65 psi, it says the load carrying capacity of the tire at that pressure is 3195. 3195 X two tires = 6390. Guess what the Gross Rear Axle Weight Rating on a gas engine Ram 2500 is. Hint...its 6390. So I don't think its a coincidence that they tell you to use a pressure that ensures your tires are able to carry the same load as the axle. But to me that means that it really is not necessary to use 65 psi when the truck is unloaded. Just my opinion.

What I'm now curios about is why mine has a sticker that says to use 70 instead of 65. I suspect that its because I have the 20 inch wheels with size 285/60-20 but unfortunately I'm not finding that size in the chart.

Edit: I found another source for my size. Its not an official firestone reference but it looks useful.
For my size i.e. 285/60-20 it is different. At 65 PSI it only has a load carrying capacity of 3085. So to get at least as high as the truck's axle rating of 6390, I have to go to 70 psi which gets me a load carrying capacity of 3285 x 2 = 6570. Of course even with my travel trailer hooked up, I'm nowhere close to the GRAWR but even so, when towing, Ill go with at least the 70 psi
Well that actually makes a great deal of sense to me, in terms of at least a rational explanation of how they came up with the numbers. Good job working that out.

Like you say though, that is still way over inflated for what an empty pickup weighs. Also like you, I air up to at least 65 all round if I am hauling or heavily loaded in the box. There the extra pressure does make a positive contribution.

Last edited:

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Pressures on the door sticker are for max load. Meaning you are at or near your payload capacity. If your unloaded there's zero reason to run those pressures. Flippin miserable running tires that high.

I also find it odd that your door sticker shows pressures that high. That's nuts for a 2500. Mine show 60 front 65 rear, which if you look at the pressure chart for your tires will show the load they can carry at a given pressure. I just can't wrap my head around why it would want 80 psi in the rear. Could see that if it was a 3500. But a 2500 has a 10,000 GVWR. Don't need to come close to 80 PSI on your tires to exceed 10,000 lbs of load capacity.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Pressures on the door sticker are for max load. Meaning you are at or near your payload capacity. If your unloaded there's zero reason to run those pressures. Flippin miserable running tires that high.

I also find it odd that your door sticker shows pressures that high. That's nuts for a 2500. Mine show 60 front 65 rear, which if you look at the pressure chart for your tires will show the load they can carry at a given pressure. I just can't wrap my head around why it would want 80 psi in the rear. Could see that if it was a 3500. But a 2500 has a 10,000 GVWR. Don't need to come close to 80 PSI on your tires to exceed 10,000 lbs of load capacity.
I completely agree. What I can't understand is why, at that pressure, I'm not getting a hell of a bumpy ride.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Tires are designed to do 2 things, carry weight and maximize handling. Strictly staying on road usage and tires spec'd to OEM or similar, adjusting tires to a pressure other than what is listed on the door jamb will impact handling characteristics. Is that always bad, can't say but the truck certainly will not react how it was designed to in all situations. Kind of think that's why door jambs don't provide 2 sets of values; loaded and unloaded.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
In my 2006 2500 with a CTD when not towing I ran 60 PSI rear and 65 PSI front, extra in front due too the diesel engine, I recall the door sticker had cold inflation 50 PSI o_O & 70 PSI for max weight with OEM 265/70/17 E tires, I see no reason to run 75 PSI if not towing, BTW I ran my tires at that 60/65 PSI for 15 years and never once had a tire that failed...