2023 Camping Season, what are your plans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
From Edmonton Alberta it’s a three hour drive to jasper park. To the middle of no where is about four. There’s public land use zones that are like your blm zones where you can camp randomly.

Went up there once... in uniform. There was a place near the Sask. border called Grand Centre, which in turn hosts Cold Lake AB, RCAF. Went up there with a bunch of F-16s to go play in what was once an annual event called Maple Flag (units of the USAF, RCAF, and the UK's RAF all combined for joint exercises that lasted a month. For the pilots, it was intensive. For us Ground Crew, it was a freakin' massive party with a lot of fishing, as the lakes had just barely melted and Northern Pike the size of grown men bit at anything you threw in the water.)

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We have two more trips planned now. We're going to Lancaster PA in June with some friends of ours from PA and another family.

Then the second one is at the end of Aug for my wife's 60th birthday. She wants a camping weekend so she'll get it. Those same friends will be coming down for our annual NJ get together. I'm really chomping at the bit to get this season started.

Now's the time to start planning the guys weekend trip as well. Most likely it'll be to All Chrysler Nationals in Carlisle PA. That's in the middle of July. I need to reach out to my brother and cousins to see who's doing what.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Some fun stats for ya:

40 million Canadians, and 90% of us live within 150 miles of the US border
35% lives in 3 main cities/areas: toronto, montreal, and vancouver

And apparently we're the most educated country in the world:

90% live within 150 miles of the USA border so you can order stuff, from our stores, then drive over to your USA PO Box and avoid VAT Tax, ya cheap SOB's.

Most Educated?
We're playing with a handicap. We have the entire South, in our totals.
Remove just one Rebel State & see h ow much we improve.

Making plans for our August Camp-outs, right now.
Hoping the Season lets us go until Oct but doubt it.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
90% live within 150 miles of the USA border so you can order stuff, from our stores, then drive over to your USA PO Box and avoid VAT Tax, ya cheap SOB's.

Au contraire, mon frere. We need to do the PO box thing cause y'all see the scary canadian address and just mark it up 250% because hey why not.

Besides, have you seen our tax rates? Even our taxes have taxes these days.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Edmonton is considerably farther than 150 miles from the us border shipping kills

Mando Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm retiring at the end of March. After some honey-do list things for my spousal unit of 42 years (she's two years younger and still working, but has lots of vacation time) we'll probably meander through Michigan's UP. Maybe down to the Dells in Wisconsin or over to Minnesota. Hocking Hills, OH is a GREAT place too. My family (brothers and daughter) have 41 acres on a trout stream north of Grand Rapids, MI about an hour away; we created 'rustic' campsites there overlooking the Tamarack Creek. That's our long weekend getaway spot. We've got a 25' HideOut I pull with my 2019 RAM 1500 Bighorn.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
we just got 45 cm of snow,it's -20c and another 30 cm on the way.the lake is still at least 45cm of ice.i can't wrap my head around camping or boating quite yet.i'm staring at my travel trailer right now and i cant even get to it with all the snow piled up around it.sigh.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Were down here on the SW side of fla..we tent camp..we try to get out a couple times a year and visit most of the north panhandle state sites for a weekend here and there...these dam hurricanes messed us up last year,friggin IANs eye ran slap over us....place still looks like a **** hole in most places around us....but nonetheless we try to get away anyways......I did read also the other day about the Canada thing..except it said 90% live within a 100 miles of the US border so the numbers here are prolly just hoopla on the internet ...remember if it's on the internet it must be true...right?...lol....I've enjoyed seeing the pics from everywhere...just wish we could get to visit those kind of places but they dont exist down here and were not near retiring. Keep posting them pics.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
we just got 45 cm of snow,it's -20c and another 30 cm on the way.the lake is still at least 45cm of ice.i can't wrap my head around camping or boating quite yet.i'm staring at my travel trailer right now and i cant even get to it with all the snow piled up around it.sigh.
Camper?
Figured all you Canadians had fancy Ice Palaces that you also used in the Summer.
I see them in our Campgrounds, during the Summer. sitting on teh ground.
Some of them are quite impressive.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Were down here on the SW side of fla..we tent camp..we try to get out a couple times a year and visit most of the north panhandle state sites for a weekend here and there...these dam hurricanes messed us up last year,friggin IANs eye ran slap over us....place still looks like a **** hole in most places around us....but nonetheless we try to get away anyways......I did read also the other day about the Canada thing..except it said 90% live within a 100 miles of the US border so the numbers here are prolly just hoopla on the internet ...remember if it's on the internet it must be true...right?...lol....I've enjoyed seeing the pics from everywhere...just wish we could get to visit those kind of places but they dont exist down here and were not near retiring. Keep posting them pics.
We tent camp too

Attachments

• 20210508_112533.jpg
    20210508_112533.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 7

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
Camper?
Figured all you Canadians had fancy Ice Palaces that you also used in the Summer.
I see them in our Campgrounds, during the Summer. sitting on teh ground.
Some of them are quite impressive.
if you're refering to an ice fishing shelter,i've actually used mine as a tent when i took my side by side out into the bush to do some remote lake fishing

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
if you're refering to an ice fishing shelter,i've actually used mine as a tent when i took my side by side out into the bush to do some remote lake fishing
No, Around here, Ice Palace's are 28 ft Campers, usually.
No solid axle, just pins so the camper can be laid flat on the Ice. Inside will have stove, bunks,
table etc but floor will have removable hole covers, allowing holes to be drilled into lake ice.
Basically, summer type of camper but setup for ice ifshing. See guys us them in the summer, isntead of having 2 versions of campers.

Sister in law has one.
A buddy has one, too, though he is thinking of getting a SnoBear.

Whatdoyaknow?
Just google-fu'ed Ice Palace fishing camper, looking for a picture or two,
and found out, they are actually called Ice Castle's.

ice-house-for-sale-1.webp

8x22-stub-rv-america-ii_07.jpg

8x22-stub-rv-america-ii_04.jpg

Wife;s family has been known to rent Electric Sites, at family Member shore side campground, run out wire, to their Unit, and create Villages.
Just huge, drunk, weekend get-away.

I'd rather have a Root Canal than Ice Fish but will do it, for the Son or Wife.
They find it Enjoyable.

Really should have them 'Tested', like Sheldon , from Big Bang Theory.
Who knows, they jsut might be Crazy.

EDIT:

This must be where the Palace idea for a name came from.
This model is actually called a palace. Know a gy who has it.

I thought they are were called that. Must be slang for teh big ones.

if you truly want to rough it

ice-castle-fish-house-3.webp

8x28-black-knight_02.jpg

could always go big or go home

ice-shack-1.webp

8x32-all-seasons-traveler_10.jpg

most of what you will see, in summer time camping,
if you see one, at all, will be the first one pictured.

28 ft or less.

Personally, can't imagine letting something, that expensive, just sit on the Ice.
Though, they do drive trucks on it.....
I have never & will never drive my anything on Ice.
I hate getting on it, all by my lonesome.

I like Boats
Boats Float &, best of all, are used in Summer

Last edited:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I just got a normal everyday camper.
North Dakota, yeah, they spend a ton of time, on the ice.

I don't see it.
Mcuh rather stay at home during Winter and plan my summer fishing.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My plans are to live vicariously through everyone else on here. We sold our 2020 Chaparral 392MBL fifth wheel earlier in the year. Someone offered me more than I paid new. We had plans to move to a toy hauler, but with prices right now we decided to wait a few years. I sold my 2016 3500 in January and bought my 1500. :confused:

I think the plan now is just to wait until we get the 16 year old off to college and then find a Super C on a Ram chassis and go that route.

Attachments

• camper1.PNG
    camper1.PNG
    897 KB · Views: 7
  • truck1.PNG
    truck1.PNG
    715.5 KB · Views: 7

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
Those must be some pretty tasty fish to spend that much money on a big ass trailer like that. You could get drunk at home where it is warm
i occasionally sit on my lazboy in the livingroom and watch the flag on my ice fishing set with my bino's.gotta love lake front living.when it's sunny i rip around the lake in my tracked side by side and swing by once in a while to check my set

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just booked another weekend. This time it's for All Chrysler Nationals at Carlisle, July 14-16. The campground Western Village RV Park only has a few full hook up sites left if anyone is thinking about going to the show and staying there. It was record setting participation last year, over 3000 Mopars, and if the campground is any indication of this year, it's going to be another record year.

I'm putting my truck on the show field. They have a class for mostly stock trucks and last year it was packed there. In that class the owners of the vehicles vote.

Hopefully I'll see a couple of you guys there. I'll start a dedicated Carlisle thread as the time gets closer.

JJEH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I think we have a family "meeting" at Lake Tahoe later this year... other than that no plans really. Sad I know.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I just booked another weekend. This time it's for All Chrysler Nationals at Carlisle, July 14-16. The campground Western Village RV Park only has a few full hook up sites left if anyone is thinking about going to the show and staying there. It was record setting participation last year, over 3000 Mopars, and if the campground is any indication of this year, it's going to be another record year.

I'm putting my truck on the show field. They have a class for mostly stock trucks and last year it was packed there. In that class the owners of the vehicles vote.

Hopefully I'll see a couple of you guys there. I'll start a dedicated Carlisle thread as the time gets closer.
!5 hrs from e.

Got friends coming, form Germany.
Wouldn;t be very nice but would be fun.

Enjoy the Camp and Cars

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
!5 hrs from e.

Got friends coming, form Germany.
Wouldn;t be very nice but would be fun.

Enjoy the Camp and Cars
Thanks, I can't wait. I want to do a few more things to the truck to make her look good. I want to do some type of graphics but I'm not sure what yet. I'm still looking. My last truck was more sporty and it was plain so it was easy to dress it up. This truck is already dressed up, so it's harder to add to it and still make it look good without spending a few thousand on rims, headlights, and taillights.