2023 dodge ram filling gas problems.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aricninni

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
2023 dodge ram filling gas problems. I just bought a 2023 doge ram 5.7 hemi and since day one on first fuel fill up i cant fill. Pump keeps shutting off. I'm on 5th fill up and nothing has changed. I can't be the only one experiencing this. What is the problem. In still under warranty but this this is annoying as hell on new truck. Takes me like 30 minutes to fill. I tried multiple positions with the same results. Even tried that funnel under passanger seat for fuel can the dealership told me to try. Kind of silly to have to use a funnel to fill your truck. That didn't give me great hopes talking with dealership. Any suggestions that would be great.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
bad evap systems can cause this, mostly due to overfilling the fuel tank though.

CoZo6

2021 Longhorn Limited 1500
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
2023 dodge ram filling gas problems. I just bought a 2023 doge ram 5.7 hemi and since day one on first fuel fill up i cant fill. Pump keeps shutting off. I'm on 5th fill up and nothing has changed. I can't be the only one experiencing this. What is the problem. In still under warranty but this this is annoying as hell on new truck. Takes me like 30 minutes to fill. I tried multiple positions with the same results. Even tried that funnel under passanger seat for fuel can the dealership told me to try. Kind of silly to have to use a funnel to fill your truck. That didn't give me great hopes talking with dealership. Any suggestions that would be great.
I personally know this issue goes as far back as my 2017 2500. Check this subject in the 4th generation group amongst others

Fuel tank replacement​

and you’ll see what many did. My fuel funnel was the issue and replaced under warrant. I’m surpraised that this issue is still cropping up….

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
In other years, Ram owners have caused the vehicle to do the same thing, by trying to fill the fuel tank to the 100% full point.

They have said that the Ram has a 28 gallon tank, therefore they should be able to put almost that much fuel in it ..
They forget that there will always be an air pocket above the fill tube. In summer temps, fuel will expand & almost fill that air pocket
When the nozzle clicks off, check your fill gauge & if it is above 3/4 full, stop pumping

Now you say that with your Ram, you have not even been able to partially fill the tank, without the nozzle shutting off several times

Try going to a different gas station

The dealership will likely replace the Fuel Fill Tube as a fix

if that does not fix it, they may replace the fuel tank

OP
OP
A

aricninni

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have been to different gas station with same results. I'm taking it in tomorrow for them to look at. When I try to get fuel I can hear the fuel coming back up the fill tube then click from the pump. It happens everytime and very quick. I can keep you all posted.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One problem was the angle of the fill nozzle causing this problem, if that doesn't work, they replace the fuel tank this problem been around since 2019, this problem was supposed to be cured!!!, if they fix the problem make sure when you fill your tank and the nozzle clicks off stop filling it, the excess fuel can damage the Evap system.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Had that problem on my 2019.

First try was the updated filler neck. Solved the issue for about 6 months.

Second try was a new gas tank (rollover valve). Solved the issue.

If it would have gone to the third try then it would have been into the evap system.

Some have gotten free repairs because they top off their tank and flood the evap system.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Over filling would trip a CEL on a Chev I had.
Also, had the problem of clicking off due to defective vapor recovery hoses on the gas pump itself.

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I have a 22 Classic and I experienced the same issue when I first got the truck. I let it go and it seems to have corrected itself for the most part (just jinxed myself lol). Occasionally, it will still kick off but not nearly as bad as it was.

smoke_1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had my tank replaced on my 2020 Longhorn about a month ago under warranty. Had the same issue. No matter the gas station or the angle at which I was pumping, took about 30 minutes to fill. I could also hear the fuel coming up the filler tube. I could only get gas flowing if I barely squeez the pump handle so the fuel trickled in. It was very frustrating especially when I was already late for work and forgot the full up the night before. Anyway, I was told that the filler tube was not the issue but the tank had to be replaced due to a stuck valve or something to that effect. Works no problem now. I have been making sure now to stop pumping when the pump kicks off as I always used to try to pump to the next $$. Good luck!

ditzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2019 Tradesman and it only does this in the colder weather... when it first happened, truck was under warranty and the dealer replaced the filler neck, and then later the fuel tank... it will happen when the tank is near empty and then when 3/4 full it wont do it anymore until full.... looking for a diy fix for this

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I spoke to soon. Now I can’t fill up my tank without the pump nozzle clicking off. Took me 30 frustrating minutes to fill up. Same as everyone else I can hear fuel coming up the fuel filler tube then bam it clicks off. Gonna try a fix I saw on YT and if that doesn’t work I guess I may try replacing the fuel tank myself. Hopefully I can DIY if necessary.

Last edited:

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UPDATE: Took her to the dealer today for my state inspection and they had some time to look at the gas tank problem. They tried filling the tank with some gas and was able to easily replicate the issue. They said there was a lot of debris in the vent filter tube. They cleaned and blew out the tube so I’ll find out if this fixes the issue when I fill up again tomorrow. They acknowledged the TSB concerning this issue and didn’t even charge me for the cleaning the vent filter or the $189 diagnostics fee, or the state inspection which is usually $20! If this doesn’t fix it they said bring the truck back and they will perform the TSB and replace the gas tank and filler tube. Nothing but good service from them since I bought the truck. One of those rare exceptional service depts! Here is a photo of the service order entry for those interested. Almost forgot they opened a star case without me asking so maybe that's why I didn't have to pay??

Attachments

• IMG_0574.jpeg
    IMG_0574.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UPDATE #2. Tried to fill up normally and the nozzle clicked off after a few seconds. Tried a few more times with the same result. Making the call tomorrow to the service dept. I was hoping the vent filter cleaning and blow out would work. Hopefully their next step is to replace the gas tank and maybe the filler tube. Back to trickle filling the tank.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
in the tank itself, there are at least 2 valves

There is a Over Flow Valve & a Tip Over Valve & much more

this illustration is not accurate
the orientation arrow is wrong for one thing
1698629849847.png

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
UPDATE #2. Tried to fill up normally and the nozzle clicked off after a few seconds. Tried a few more times with the same result. Making the call tomorrow to the service dept. I was hoping the vent filter cleaning and blow out would work. Hopefully their next step is to replace the gas tank and maybe the filler tube. Back to trickle filling the tank.
It's not the tank. It's the fill tube and/or the vent tube, most common cause would be the vent tube has a kink in it or is somehow filling with gas and cutting off the air. Same problem with some Ranger boats.