2023 dodge ram filling gas problems.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It's not the tank. It's the fill tube and/or the vent tube, most common cause would be the vent tube has a kink in it or is somehow filling with gas and cutting off the air. Same problem with some Ranger boats.
As far as 5th gen 1500's go this has been a problem since the beginning. Known causes have been the filler tube, evap system, and tank rollover valve (requiring tank replacement). I wouldn't expect you to know that since you haven't been here long enough. The issues seemed to have been mostly addressed after 2020 models. Since this is on a '23 model it's probably an outlier and you could be right about the cause. But you can't possibly know for sure from where you sit, and ruling out the tank could point someone down the wrong path who might be diagnosing a similar issue. Especially considering that was the cause for so many people with earlier 5th gen model year 1500's.

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
Just came back from my third fill on the 6.4 and had trouble with the pump cutting off every three seconds. Have not had a problem with the first two fills, at the same pump. But....after a few times jamming the nozzle further in and changing positions it finally began filling w/o a problem. This pump is very slow so not a good gauge for most folks and I'm in Kalifornia where we have the evap spring loaded nozzles.

One other fact. This has been a problem with Jeep Wranglers and still is on my 2004. There is a second flap in the bottom of the fill pipe. I guess that is the rollover protection. Those Jeep owners that removed that one stopped the problem. I've learned on mine that when I **** the gas nozzle at about the 4 o'clock position it usually fills without shutting off. Gotta be just right though. Have no idea why that is a workaround. Doesn't make sense but it works.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a 2019 Laramie Longhorn not a 2023.
My bad, I thought Tulecreeper was referring to the OP's truck. But the comments I posted still apply, especially because yours is a 2019 and definitely in the range that had issues.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
As far as 5th gen 1500's go this has been a problem since the beginning. Known causes have been the filler tube, evap system, and tank rollover valve (requiring tank replacement). I wouldn't expect you to know that since you haven't been here long enough. The issues seemed to have been mostly addressed after 2020 models. Since this is on a '23 model it's probably an outlier and you could be right about the cause. But you can't possibly know for sure from where you sit, and ruling out the tank could point someone down the wrong path who might be diagnosing a similar issue. Especially considering that was the cause for so many people with earlier 5th gen model year 1500's.
You could be right, since I have no clue what a "tank rollover valve" is. I can't see, however, how the evap system could cause an early cut-off at the top of the fill-tube.

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UPDATE # 2 or 3. Just returned home from the dealer service Dept. They pulled something called the E-Sims module (I may have the name wrong) that was responsible for the back pressure in the fuel tank. Tried filling up after that and no joy on filling normally. Whatever they pulled earlier was put back. Now they have ordered a new gas tank and it will be here in 3 to 4 days. Still didn't pay a dime for today's service. Now it’s a waiting game till the new gas tank gets here and installed.

Last edited:

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now they have ordered a new gas tank and it will be here in 3 to 4 days. Still didn't pay a dime for today's service. Now it’s a waiting game till the new gas tank gets here and installed.
More than likely replacing the tank will cure your problem after they have extinguished all other possibilities.

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Heck it should. They have looked at everything else in the system Ram told them to look at. It has to be the rollover valve sticking shut when trying to fill up.

Jm91rs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any idea if this would be covered under powertrain warranty on a 40,000 mile truck? I'm sick to my stomach thinking that I may have to pay a dealer to chase this problem, but we're heading in the winter and on my 2021 Laramie I can't be standing at the pump for 40 minutes trying to fill it up.

Also note I've never once topped off the tank. After the pump auto-shuts off I'm done filling, no rounding up no trying to get as much as possible in there. Now if there's a pump somewhere that was defective and went too far once 1) Ram's engineering should account for that possibility 2) I need to find that pump again because it may the the only one that will fill up my truck now!

Last edited:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Any idea if this would be covered under powertrain warranty on a 40,000 mile truck? I'm sick to my stomach thinking that I may have to pay a dealer to chase this problem, but we're heading in the winter and on my 2021 Laramie I can't be standing at the pump for 40 minutes trying to fill it up.
It is probably the powers that be trying to get us ready for 1 hour “fill ups” that EV’s need. Not that I am conspiracy theory minded. ;-)

Jm91rs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had my tank replaced on my 2020 Longhorn about a month ago under warranty. Had the same issue. No matter the gas station or the angle at which I was pumping, took about 30 minutes to fill. I could also hear the fuel coming up the filler tube. I could only get gas flowing if I barely squeez the pump handle so the fuel trickled in. It was very frustrating especially when I was already late for work and forgot the full up the night before. Anyway, I was told that the filler tube was not the issue but the tank had to be replaced due to a stuck valve or something to that effect. Works no problem now. I have been making sure now to stop pumping when the pump kicks off as I always used to try to pump to the next $$. Good luck!
Was your warranty part of the 3/36 or the powertrain? I'm at 46k and can't get more then .5 gallons at a time. Can't imagine paying the dealer to chase this problem for me, but if it's covered under powertrain I'll feel so much better.

Jm91rs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is probably the powers that be trying to get us ready for 1 hour “fill ups” that EV’s need. Not that I am conspiracy theory minded. ;-)
HA! I'm not anti EV, but at least the EV guys get to sit in the car while it "fills". I have to keep feathering the pump, and standing there outside while I freeze (it hasn't even gotten below freezing yet, I'm just a baby until I adjust to the winter temps). It's going to be terrible in about a month.

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Also note I've never once topped off the tank. After the pump auto-shuts off I'm done filling, no rounding up no trying to get as much as possible in there. Now if there's a pump somewhere that was defective and went too far once 1) Ram's engineering should account for that possibility 2) I need to find that pump again because it may the the only one that will fill up my truck now!
I was outside my warranty but I believe Ram is covering this anyway. I haven’t paid a dime for the last two visits while they chase this down. Now I do have an extended warranty but and this is one of the covered items but haven’t had to use it yet. If Ram takes care of the tank replacement I’m a happy camper.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
HA! I'm not anti EV, but at least the EV guys get to sit in the car while it "fills". I have to keep feathering the pump, and standing there outside while I freeze (it hasn't even gotten below freezing yet, I'm just a baby until I adjust to the winter temps). It's going to be terrible in about a month.
It's all part of the plan. Make your ICE vehicle so inconvenient you'll be begging for an EV. Muwahahahahah.......

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
6 to ten years ago, maybe even back to 2009 ..

The vent tube on the filler neck was too Low at the highest part, the gas stations fuel nozzles at that time were not straight as they are today & the nozzles have a sensor in them & the sensors were too close to the handle.

That placed the top of the vent tube right in line with the sensor in the nozzle, so when the air in the gas tank came out of the top of the vent tube, it exited almost directly in line with the sensor built into the nozzle.
That created a sort of venturi effect & automatically shut off the nozzle.
A customer studied it & wrote a letter to Chrysler, that letter explained in detail what was going on.

The solution at that time was to move the top of the vent tube almost to the top of the Fill Tube.

That fixed everything until the makers of the Fuel Nozzles, made a change of their own :(

Chrysler's change in the Vent tubes position is the tube on the right

1699231107186.png

Last edited:

Jm91rs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an appointment tomorrow for the tailgate latch recall and a pretty bad exhaust leak that better be covered under warranty (leaking where the muffler bolts on). I'll bring this fuel issue up too and see where it goes. I can't find anything specifically about the fuel tank on the power train warranty, but then who in the world ever thinks you'd need a new fuel tank within 60k? It does mention fuel pump and components of fuel systems on an FCS layman translations of the power train warranty so it'd be hard to argue that the fuel tank is not part of the fuel system. Hoping for the best, just never expecting anyone to pay for something without argument once those 36,000 miles are up. My first Ram after 20ish GM trucks so how this goes will go a long way towards seeing if we start converting the rest of the fleet.

Jm91rs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
View attachment 531280

Thanks for sharing. My hope would be it's as simple as that vent line being clogged, but reading that it's often much more intense than that and after filler neck replacements don't fix it it's required replacement tanks.

Jm91rs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
FYI, dealer just denied warranty service on my fuel tank. Said after 36k there's no coverage on a faulty fuel tank? I'm at 46k miles, 2.5 years old. Absolutely infuriating since they know there's a problem. Got the wonderful "I don't work for Ram, I work for this dealership. Call Ram if you don't like this"

giganova

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
Same here on my '21: for the last two years I had real issues putting fuel into the 33 gallon tank: pump handle always clicked off after a few seconds, regardless how full the tank was, no matter what I did. But then a few months ago, the problem disappeared all of a sudden and everything's fine now.