2024 Dodge Ram Revolution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim 370

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just ask the residents of Ft Myers how those EV's worked out when it came time to evacuate. Most of them got abandoned. Now they are returning home to find their abandoned EV's burning to the ground after getting drowned in water. NO THANK YOU!!

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In an evacuation, an electric vehicle that is fully charged can actually have a bit of an advantage over a ice vehicle. The electric draw while sitting still or moving ahead sporadically can be accomplished in many instances more efficiently. But yes, vehicles that were left behind for whatever reason were adversely impacted by the exposure to salt water. That can impact the batteries and cause spontaneous combustion. But if they do catch fire at least they won't show up for for some unsuspecting person on a car lot like a flood damaged ice vehicle would.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Considering the amount of electricity used for a standard wall plug, I'd let them plug up. Doubtful they'd take more than $1 of electricity to charge their EV during say like a dinner party. The folks I know that own EVs say they charge overnight for only a couple dollars. Shoot, if I'm going to spend money to entertain them, another buck or two on electricity is not a concern.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
I will consider an electric truck when I can afford one that is about as comfortable as I have now, can tow my 6000 lb travel trailer 350+ miles on a single charge, can carry all the stuff I do now, and AND can be recharged in about 10 minutes for an additional 350+ miles.

I don't care much about how it looks, how big the screen is, or if the steering wheel is oval or round (as long as its still a wheel). I don't need more power or speed either.

I just want a truck that is as durable, capable, and affordable as the one I've got.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I will consider an electric truck when I can afford one that is about as comfortable as I have now, can tow my 6000 lb travel trailer 350+ miles on a single charge, can carry all the stuff I do now, and AND can be recharged in about 10 minutes for an additional 350+ miles.

Don't mind if you quote me on this: I'll bet we will see 350+ miles towing in the next 5 years. My guess is it will be via range extending batteries or other tech inside the trailer hooked to the truck to help power it. That and also possible battery tech will improve greatly, but I'd put another couple of years on the battery improvement thing.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
There is no way for me to run my business using an electric vehicle.

I Escórt Semi Trucks that are carrying wide loads
They often drive 500 to 650 miles in 12 hours
They will not wait for me to recharge the trucks batteries
They get paid by the miles driven & that is also the way i get paid

plainsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Waiting for word on 2024 RAM with the turbo 6 option. When you live 8-10 hours from CO, UT and AZ there is no way I'd consider electric. A one day drive would become 2 days and towing a trailer might even be 3, not to mention hotel costs. An over obsession with electric for anything except local driving, and they aren't cheap, and fossil fuels needed to produce the electricity. Slow down Mr. President, you live in a bubble, not with us.

Mister B

Reaction score
they are new technology and there will be a market for them. I wont buy one in my lifetime but they will be a good fit for others. my only gripe is the government forcing them on us. consumers are always motivated enough to buy stuff if they want it or need it. I dont like the collusion between the auto mfrs and the politicos on this. in my area there is currently a barrage of ads pushing these things while there is a shortage of traditionally powered vehicles supposedly due to chip shortages..I guess an all electric car full of pc boards and giant full color monitors and other video and lighting enhancements somehow needs fewer chips..who'da thunk it.
what would make it a great fit for others that won't be for you? just curious

Mister B

Reaction score
Technology is going in that direction and the days of carbon fuel are clearly numbered. Let’s just hope the technology is developed enough to have the same, or better, capabilities than what our current gasoline engines offer. I expect that my next truck will be completely electric. A hundred and twenty years ago people thought the new “horseless carriage” would never catch on. They were quickly proven wrong.
Do you expect to have an electric truck because the ICE/Diesel will be out-innovated or is it something else?

Mister B

Reaction score
EV's are trendy, but i would never buy a used one of any brand. The batteries cost an average of $20,000. So, buy used you might be in for a shock. that being said, would that effect the actual trade in value? I mean, who wants to buy a used EV, only to find out you have to replace thee batteies? And, if you bought a new EV for, say, $60,000, would the dealer offer you a fair trade in value?

Also, an EV requires a charging station of 75 amps. You have to hire an electrician to wire up your garage for this because you just can't plug them into a 120 volt outlet because it would take at least 2 days to fully charge. So, figure out an additional cost of $2500 to $5,000 . And keep in mind there have been many garage fires they don't report with EV's catching fire while charging. (friend of mine is a firefighter)

If the Ram truck is a hybrid, meaning it will run on gas or electric, i might be interested, but, i doubt i'd buy of lrease one. IF i did lease or buy i'd have to have a lot of warranty questions...in writing..about all that's covered, including the trade in value.

Another thing to consider is that with a possible change in government, gas prices might go back down because the pipelines would be opened once again.

Just my opinions.
What is it you're really worried about? EV batteries are getting smart, sorta like solar panels. The energy is becoming concurrent, meaning you could eventually make money on charging your car. As for the change in government, I'm not sure if that will really determine gas prices all that much. Auto manufacturers have already dedicated to certain transition deadlines, so I doubt a change in gov't would influence their whole plan. So, what is it you're really worried about?

Mister B

Reaction score
Just ask the residents of Ft Myers how those EV's worked out when it came time to evacuate. Most of them got abandoned. Now they are returning home to find their abandoned EV's burning to the ground after getting drowned in water. NO THANK YOU!!
Is this to say that those with ICE/Diesel cars faired well from water with their engines and tailpipes being flooded with water? What about EV's really bothers you?

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
what would make it a great fit for others that won't be for you? just curious
for folks that stay local or short hops they will be fine. my son has a cpl. buddies that bought battery trucks just to haul their boats to nearby lake they like because they have plenty power. those guys have more money than I do. any truck I own would have to tow my travel trailer and be able to take the wife and I skiing in the mountains once or twice a year and be good for other travel. I wont put up with multiple charging stops when I travel.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
EV's are trendy, but i would never buy a used one of any brand. The batteries cost an average of $20,000. So, buy used you might be in for a shock. that being said, would that effect the actual trade in value? I mean, who wants to buy a used EV, only to find out you have to replace thee batteies? And, if you bought a new EV for, say, $60,000, would the dealer offer you a fair trade in value?

Also, an EV requires a charging station of 75 amps. You have to hire an electrician to wire up your garage for this because you just can't plug them into a 120 volt outlet because it would take at least 2 days to fully charge. So, figure out an additional cost of $2500 to $5,000 . And keep in mind there have been many garage fires they don't report with EV's catching fire while charging. (friend of mine is a firefighter)

If the Ram truck is a hybrid, meaning it will run on gas or electric, i might be interested, but, i doubt i'd buy of lrease one. IF i did lease or buy i'd have to have a lot of warranty questions...in writing..about all that's covered, including the trade in value.

Another thing to consider is that with a possible change in government, gas prices might go back down because the pipelines would be opened once again.

Just my opinions.
I dont know of anywhere around here that adding 75A sub panel would cost more than a cpl. hundred dollars if there was room on your main panel. of course I dont know if there is something else required besides the 75A connection.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So 8qm reading that the official name appears to be Ram 1500 REV. Hmm...

Ram Charger was open. :)

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I dont know of anywhere around here that adding 75A sub panel would cost more than a cpl. hundred dollars if there was room on your main panel. of course I dont know if there is something else required besides the 75A connection.
This could start being a problem. With people switching to heat pumps and now some starting to switch to electric cook tops, people are going to have to upgrade to 400 amp service to run it all. That could run over $10k to upgrade line from pole to house, then add in the box (actually should go with 2-200 amp boxes off a main) and the cost could hit $20k. Of course you may not run it all at the same the time, but an electrician should do a load test and design the system.

We have an all electric house and get by with 200 amp, but geothermal takes less than heat pumps so we are good. Not sure we could add a charger to the system.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
My son added a second 200A panel last year to run his detached garage and shop and to plug his 50A travel trailer into..cost under 500$ but I guess that same work would vary in cost depending upon where you live. I added a 100A sub-panel a few years ago to run the pool equipment and my shop and it cost me 250$ I think.