2025 1500 RamCharger. Is it an EV?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Been patiently waiting for what our next EV or PHEV will be but have always known we would eventually pickup another electrified vehicle some day. Our first EV was a FIAT 500e with about 90mi total full charge range. At the time we had a Ford Explorer for family hauling and long out of town trips, the little electric Fiat for everyday local commuting. Plugging in the electric Fiat every night became second nature and must say it was always a blast to drive. When the 3yr lease on the electric Fiat ended I was sad to see it go but my wife said how about we get rid of both the Explorer+Fiat and consider getting a Pacifica PHEV minivan. At first I was no fricken way I’m gna be driving a mini van when I’ve always driven SUVs since expecting our first child in 1994 then nearly 30yrs later with both kids grown n one already had moved out on his own she’s talking about getting a mini van. Well after some back n forth I gave in since we were just going to lease the PHEV Pacifica as company lease anyways and we would still be utilizing the Level2 EV charger I installed in garage. Honestly that PHEV instantly became my daily driver, it had all the bells & whistles, the overhead birdseye camera view was super slick n helped tremendously when parking the long 7seater van. It only had a full electric range of up to 33miles but when recharging every night and sometime topping off again at the office I would average between 900-1100 miles per tankful on the Pacifica which came out to roughly around $40 per month gassing up at Costco. Now just imagine what it felt like after the 3yr lease on the PHEV Pacifica ended and I picked up a 2021 RAM 1500 eTorque 5.7 Hemi, I went from $40/mo for gas on the Pacifica to $400+/mo for gas on the RAM 1500. Needless to say we had to adjust quickly to the monthly increased gas bill shock because we knew the PHEV Pacifica minivan would not be able to handle the 26ft travel trailer we had in mind which we took delivery 12/22. Come this July when the lease on our 2021 RAM 1500 ends we will be willing to wait a few months for the 2025 RamChargers to roll out. Hopefully all the great things I’ve read about the RamCharger is not just hype.
You couldn't pay me to take a first model year anything. Been there, done that, have the shirt.

NicksGarage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I signed up to get on the waitlist to order the truck. Was looking at getting a used diesel truck to replace my 1500, since my towing needs have increased. I have plenty of solar to charge the truck and if they fulfill the promise of vehicle-to-grid capability, I will put off buying a house battery. Most of the towing I do is local but do have several long trips a year. If it works as they say, I'd be driving on electric mostly, even when towing locally, and then have the range for trips. My 1500 struggles to get 10mpg towing our RV on our long trips. I barely get 15mpg driving around town. I rented a 2022 2500 diesel for one camping trip (because the TIPM went out on the 1500) and got 16mpg. I'm glad they're not forcing the new tech on just the high spec trucks. While I like what's in a Limited, I don't want to spend that much money for it. My 2009 1500 SLT 4x4 cost almost $40k new and it has manual cloth seats and just had the basic radio.

I know there are a lot of anti-EV people out there that will never accept that they are, or can be, good. Just like all those people that said Mopar would go under if they tried to sell a 4-door Charger. Too each their own but listen to facts and not BS.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Nothing wrong with the hybrid approach for a truck. It's what Ford and GM should have done instead of going full EV, which, as we all saw, was a massive failure for anyone that uses their truck as a truck.

This Ramcharger has potential. That being said, good luck to anyone that buys first model year. You have some balls. Or a lot of patience. Guarantee it's going to be in and out of the shop as they work through all the new platform gremlins. I've made that mistake once before, never do it again.

GARC

Reaction score
Have been reading as much as I could find and have yet to really find an answer, can the generator send power directly to the 2 motors as stated below:
"a 130-kilowatt generator that sends electrical power to the high-voltage battery and/or to the two electric motors"
or does the built in generator only send power to the batteries?

thanks