'22 Eco acceleration shudder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KC Kevin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm at 8500-ish miles and have had an issue pop up. the acceleration just seems to drop off momentarily then resumes as if nothing happened. It's occurred on the last few drives; all on the same fuel tank. I didn't notice it at all prior to this fill up. It can vary from 'wow, what was that?' to barely noticeable. There is no apparent relation to engine temp and no warning lights come on.

Bad fuel maybe? Any thoughts?

OP
OP
KC Kevin

KC Kevin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Follow up- This issue got progressively worse. The truck finally stalled out last Friday. Initially it would not re-start. Second attempt it did. Then the engine light came on. Ram Connect shows a power train issue.

Soonest I could get it in was 5/19, 5 days after a call. And that was the best available from three local dealerships. They told me they needed 5 days to diagnose the problem.

Wow. I am not feeling good at all about this.

Paladin308

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
I'm at 8500-ish miles and have had an issue pop up. the acceleration just seems to drop off momentarily then resumes as if nothing happened. It's occurred on the last few drives; all on the same fuel tank. I didn't notice it at all prior to this fill up. It can vary from 'wow, what was that?' to barely noticeable. There is no apparent relation to engine temp and no warning lights come on.

Bad fuel maybe? Any thoughts?
Following this because I take delivery on my 2022 Ram 3.0 Diesel. Please keep us informed

OP
OP
KC Kevin

KC Kevin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
They couldn't locate the problem, Jim. When they restarted the engine at the dealer, the engine light was off. I am pretty annoyed actually, because the truck was in the shop over a week.

In driving it since, (over 300 miles) I have had one minor irregularity. Honestly, my guess is I got some bad fuel.

Mattatto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Do you use any fuel additive live Hot Shots? Has this cleared up completely?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
They couldn't locate the problem, Jim. When they restarted the engine at the dealer, the engine light was off. I am pretty annoyed actually, because the truck was in the shop over a week.

In driving it since, (over 300 miles) I have had one minor irregularity. Honestly, my guess is I got some bad fuel.
Even though the engine light was off, a code is stored. They should be able to tell you what code was found.

OP
OP
KC Kevin

KC Kevin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Do you use any fuel additive live Hot Shots? Has this cleared up completely?
I do not.
And it has in fact cleared up completely.
I am over 10,000 miles now and I love this truck! I am glad the problem was as simple as bad fuel. Once I burned through that tank and refilled, it hasn't resurfaced.

OP
OP
KC Kevin

KC Kevin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It's doing it again- acceleration starts jerking, and then the truck stalls. Engine light comes on and then off again. It's stalled in the middle of an intersection twice in the past week. Flashing 'Service Throttle Control' briefly at the time of stall. Seems to happen fairly close to the house which could be identified as a cold-engine symptom (although it's far from cold these days)

Back to the shop. Last time they wiffed on finding anything.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
go to your Local auto parts store
ask them to hook up their scan tool, so that they can read the CODE
Write the Code down, do NOT Clear it.

With that code in your pocket, go ahead & do what ever plan that you have.
If you choose to go to the dealership for another attempt to fix it.
Do NOT mention the code. keep it to yourself for now.
They have better equipment & should find it themselves.

Good Luck

Pickup a copy of the California Lemon Law, just in case

OP
OP
KC Kevin

KC Kevin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Ok, so the truck has now been in, and out of the shop for a 2nd time for the same issue. The dealership seemed to be WAY more interested in fixing it this time and not only did so but fixed it FAST. I dropped it over at 10:30am yesterday and it was ready at 7:30 am today.

They ended up replacing injectors 4, 5 and 6 and also replaced the fuel lines servicing the injectors. The code on the Repair statement was P062E, for those that follow.

My suspicion is that there was new information in the system (this time) about the problem and the needed repair.

Does it seem WAY to premature for injectors to be failing? I just hit 12,000 miles. The truck is 8 months old for gosh sakes.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have learned, that as long as the factory warranty pays for the issue
you can't complain to much, although some times being without that vehicle can hurt. In my case, my Ram is my only vehicle & it is also my way of making money. The dealership does not have loaners or even courtesy rides to & from the dealership.

If the dealer can't fix the issue, then during 36 month, 36,000 mile period, that is when the Lemon Law comes into play.

I bought an Extended Warranty, the day i drove the Ram home
I forgot about price shopping for the Mopar Plan.

Anyway, i have not paid for any work done on my 2016 Ram, but i have had 5 or 6 Recalls done since January 2016.

My 2009 Ram had a few issues, but my Extended warranty on it covered the higher cost issues, the rear differential went bad, but that was the dealers fault & they took care of it

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Does it seem WAY to premature for injectors to be failing? I just hit 12,000 miles. The truck is 8 months old for gosh sakes.
It is on the short side for them to go bad, the other side of the coin very few injector problems have been reported with the EcoDiesel. Probably just a fluke that you needed injectors to be replaced and hopefully your problem is solved. If the problem happens again and the dealership throws more injectors at it, find a different dealership, they're throwing parts at it.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Ok, so the truck has now been in, and out of the shop for a 2nd time for the same issue. The dealership seemed to be WAY more interested in fixing it this time and not only did so but fixed it FAST. I dropped it over at 10:30am yesterday and it was ready at 7:30 am today.

They ended up replacing injectors 4, 5 and 6 and also replaced the fuel lines servicing the injectors. The code on the Repair statement was P062E, for those that follow.

My suspicion is that there was new information in the system (this time) about the problem and the needed repair.

Being they just announced the recall for the CP4 pump wonder if the pump is starting to fall apart an pushing metal shavings into the injectors, I also hope they replaced your fuel filters just to be safe... Hope your all fixed up and have no more problems...

OP
OP
KC Kevin

KC Kevin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Being they just announced the recall for the CP4 pump wonder if the pump is starting to fall apart an pushing metal shavings into the injectors, I also hope they replaced your fuel filters just to be safe... Hope your all fixed up and have no more problems...
They didn't change the fuel filter. From what I read, the CP4 pump recall is 2014-2020 model years.

DB Cooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETORQ
Follow up- This issue got progressively worse. The truck finally stalled out last Friday. Initially it would not re-start. Second attempt it did. Then the engine light came on. Ram Connect shows a power train issue.

Soonest I could get it in was 5/19, 5 days after a call. And that was the best available from three local dealerships. They told me they needed 5 days to diagnose the problem.

Wow. I am not feeling good at all about this.
If the codes cleared after a day or so, I had the same issue... occurs from dead stop. It turned out to be a software recall related to the sensor on the active on/off at the start. Try disabling that until you get the software update.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Being they just announced the recall for the CP4 pump
As of now the recall is only for the DS body trucks even though DT body trucks use the same fuel pump.
The failure rate for the EcoDiesel CP4.2 bases HPFP is under 1%

OP
OP
KC Kevin

KC Kevin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If the codes cleared after a day or so, I had the same issue... occurs from dead stop. It turned out to be a software recall related to the sensor on the active on/off at the start. Try disabling that until you get the software update.
My EcoDiesel doesn't have the active on/off feature.

OP
OP
KC Kevin

KC Kevin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Truck is headed back to the shop. Same issue. This will be the third time....

OP
OP
KC Kevin

KC Kevin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Update: The shop couldn't replicate the problem at the last visit about 2 months ago. They did re-program/update the software and changed the fuel filter. Thankfully, I've not had any issues since then.