$2200 transmission service?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The filter is built into the pan. Crazy
And you can purchase aftermarket pan/filter combos for less than $75. As 2020PW stated you can get the ZF branded fluid for about $18 per quart on eBay. It’s called Lifeguard 8 and it’s available by more than a few auto makers under their own name. I’ve found it branded as Audi for $12 a quart. You’ll need less than 7 quarts to do the transmission service. It’s a $200 DIY service. If you’re out of warranty use Valvoline Maxlife fluid for $20 per gallon from Walmart and a Chinese knockoff pan/filter for $30 off Amazon or eBay.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There isn't as much maintenance to do on vehicles these days (compared to many years ago) but I agree, what maintenance there *is* to do, and certain replacement parts that used to be pretty inexpensive (or not needed at all -- e.g. WIN module), has become a lot more costly.

But as pointed out, there are DIY and local garage work-arounds.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
There isn't as much maintenance to do on vehicles these days
Exactly, which means economies-of-scale as they apply to the necessary parts have shrunk, hence those parts are more expensive. Not to sound old, but just be glad you're not doing plugs, wires, points, and condensers every 30K miles.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Absolutely insane. $600 just for the fluid. See ya boys. I’m out of the Ram game. Trading in. Going back Chevy More than likely.
Oh my Prius has a flat. Look for the spare tire. Where's the spare? What's this? A can of fix-a-flat. Well that did nothing. Call for a tow. Three days later and a bill for nearly $400. Thanks Toyota, we don't need spares in an electric vehicle. Right on!
It seems that the manufacturers are driving you to the dealers for service. The ZF trans service is the same for all the German and European car manufacturers using that model transmission. By the manufacturer using "proprietary" parts and procedures, it keeps their parts required for maintenance and their "specialty" tools nearly a dealer-only requirement until the aftermarket catches up. Its a win-win for the dealer and manufacturer.
I have a fleet of GM trucks used in a commercial application. While they have run circles around the Fords that preceded them, they can have peculiar service items too, especially the diesel. My Ram is for personal use mostly, and has been more than enjoyable over the 27-year old Chevrolet 350 sportside 5-speed that it replaced with 260K trouble-free miles. I can't complain about the new GM trucks with the AFM because I read enough horror stories about them that I thought the Ram was the better choice with the MDS that can be turned off and controlled with a better lubrication strategy than what the owners manual dictates. Only time will tell. I have a serious dilemma when I have to buy my next 2500HD as to GM or Ram.
The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. Just ask my ex-wife. I can understand leaving to trade up, but to trade down?
Good luck with your GM.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Absolutely insane. $600 just for the fluid. See ya boys. I’m out of the Ram game. Trading in. Going back Chevy More than likely.
So a dealer is screwing you and you're going to trade the truck off because of it? What are you going to do when the GM and Ford dealers screw you on maintenance costs?

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 10spd automatic that Ford and GM developed together is just as complicated if not more so than the Rams 8spd automatic. I have an F150 with this transmission and it sucks compared to the ZF. I guess if you like starting off in 2nd or 3rd gear and it skipping gears so it can hurry up and get into top gear you might be alright. I guarantee you the service costs just as much and you won’t be happy with GMs anemic 5.3 if that’s what you end up with because it’s a real dog next to the Hemi or anything Ford has. Good luck

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Smudge, for 2200, I’d just by a mopar extended mopar warranty on line follow the recommended maintenance in the owners manual, mine states lifetime fill no maintenance required. I’m not changing my fluid, they can replace the trans under my lifetime warranty.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol yea 2200 sounds crazy has to be more to the story I just paid $250 for fluid and pan Gl with chevy It is not just ram that has this sealed transmission no dipstick BS planned obsolescence.

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FCA created more complicated mechanisms then is necessary, I really don't see the point of use 2 spark plugs per cylinder,and lake for the transmission, the fluid pan have to go with the filter,plus the special fill up procedure,ugh....

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Assuming your not some weak troll bot, I just gotta say, this isnt a cult. Nobody cares what brand vehicle you have in your garage. Whatever makes you happy, good luck with chevy, I'd drive a trail boss if someone gave me one

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The 10spd automatic that Ford and GM developed together is just as complicated if not more so than the Rams 8spd automatic. I have an F150 with this transmission and it sucks compared to the ZF. I guess if you like starting off in 2nd or 3rd gear and it skipping gears so it can hurry up and get into top gear you might be alright. I guarantee you the service costs just as much and you won’t be happy with GMs anemic 5.3 if that’s what you end up with because it’s a real dog next to the Hemi or anything Ford has. Good luck
you literally have to drop the transmission to change the fluid, and you think ram zf is bad, lol? If you get the 5 liter that is the process, I believe the 3.5 liter you don't have to, but that isnt any easy change either. The only real issue with the ram 8 speed is the process to check the fluid, that is what blows, but it is an easier dyi process then the 10 speeds. Now if you go to the dealer, well whatever expect to be out $$, My local toyota dealer wanted over 2 grand for 4 shocks and only two of them were struts, the other two just regular shocks. Me and my brother in law did a 4 strut change in 7 hours, it was no joke removing seats, dropping the knuckle, removing calipers, etc, but the cost was under 400 for parts. The only way forward in America for normal folk is find a way to do this sh i t yourself no matter what you buy. But, if you want to do yourself a favor, buy stuff from the 60's, 70's or 80's as opposed to these ridiculously complicated machines. All of this garbage is by design, they don't want the public to dyi, to be able to do your own stuff, to be the capable people you were meant to be.

Dang Camry 4 corner strut package, what a waste and a nightmare. Why do manu's just not use shocks? sigh

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
FCA created more complicated mechanisms then is necessary, I really don't see the point of use 2 spark plugs per cylinder,and lake for the transmission, the fluid pan have to go with the filter,plus the special fill up procedure,ugh....
I believe it’s part of the pollution control.