$2200 transmission service?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Dusty, While I have not done mine at low mileage yet, and will not do mine myself there is NO plug, so you should have a drain pan . some may even make it into the pan.
A dirt floor in the shed does come in handy at times, and a bunch of bridge timbers, and 3x12 planks. fork lifts never are a bad idea.

Jeepwalker, I did the farm house few yrs back, 1/2 pitch, 3 dormers, took a month, wife pissed off.
5 yrs ago, needed city house done, took 40 sq's of shingles a crew of 4 2 days + to do.
I helped , water carrier. turned 80 this month, but I finished the basement 3 yrs ago
Know a fellow still working at 96, thou he slowed down to just afternoons, just to keep busy.

Last edited:

Kerby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
sorry to hear that. definitely overpaid. Not sure what trans you have. Mine is a 8 speed. Per Dodge no service required. I did find a trans fluid kit for about $250 online with the requird fluid. All based on the Trans specs.

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My brother owns a transmission shop. GM is 75 percent of his bussiness. The 6 speeds now are falling apart because of the torque converter. Ram about 20 percent. The rest are the rest, including Ford. He does not see many fords but when he does, they have their own problems. Berring races for example in Fords. They are machined into the alluminum housing to save money. So when a bearing needs replacing on a Ford, it means a new housing or a junk yard housing in good shape.
One of the Mercedes V6s has the cam bearing races machined into the valve covers. Take the thing off without doing something else and the cams pop up/out.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dusty, While I have not done mine at low mileage yet, and will not do mine myself there is NO plug, so you should have a drain pan . some may even make it into the pan.
A dirt floor in the shed does come in handy at times, and a bunch of bridge timbers, and 3x12 planks. fork lifts never are a bad idea.
Okay. Thanks for the comment.

I was under my 2019 and I thought I saw a round, recessed area that would be a drain plug on the ZF transmission pan. I am probably mistaken.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 89230 miles.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Okay. Thanks for the comment.

I was under my 2019 and I thought I saw a round, recessed area that would be a drain plug on the ZF transmission pan. I am probably mistaken.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 89230 miles.
8 speed pans definitely have a drain plug. I have heard of replacement pans that do not though. It is honestly not that bad of a service. Was helping my brother in law change front diff fluid in his 10-speed f150 last year. We had a light setup under the truck and didnt notice how tall it was, set the truck down on it and it went through the transmission pan. (Kudos to the quality light though) Got to spend an extra day there to swap the pan and fill back up. Was actually an easier process than our Rams, at least for the 2.7 EB.

Dbrewton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was thinking of getting a newer Ram. But not now after reading too many nightmare posts on this forum. I will be keeping my 2005 Ram and rebuild/replace anything that breaks on it. I do my own mechanical work on all 5 of my cars. The Eldorado I have is an engineerig catastrophe. Won't be making that kind of mistake again. If I was wealthy maybe, but not this close to retirement.

Thebusdriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Absolutely insane. $600 just for the fluid. See ya boys. I’m out of the Ram game.

I used MaxLife ATF and did the fluid change myself. It’s about $8/quart. Bought a PPE aluminum oil pan which was about $300 (which is the premium option). Out the door for about $400 total. It’s not the easiest process but worth it to me instead of $2200. Been running strong for 6,000 miles so far.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I thought there was no plug, Maybe I am thinking of no dipstick, there is a plug to fill on the side from what I hear. I have not crawled around under this one.
I have had 2005, 2010 , and now the 8 speed, while I kind of miss the shifter to rest my hand on, I really do like the 8 speed, more snap, better mileage. It has had no problems at all.

Last edited:

Tunaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seems funny to me, some people, me included will work 3 days to make $1600 but will trade their vehicle before they work 2 hrs changing tranny fluid to save $1600. Not only that but Chevy's are ugly!!

cannabisjones

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i just replaced all the fluid and filters in my 2005 ram 1500 4.7L transmission. It took about 17L and cost $12/L. The filter kit cost $60 and came with both filters and a pan gasket. I dropped the pan, drained 6L of fluid from the pan, changed the filters, replaced the pan, added 6L...then i disconnected the return line from the oil cooler and started the truck and switched gears (staying in each gear for 5 seconds) then stay in park till the fluid drains out 6L. shut it off and add 6L. repeat till fluid from the return line turns clean and new. Complete trans flush and filter change for less than $300 in my driveway with no jack and 4 tools. 8mm for pans bolts, filter wrench, h20 hex bit for 2nd filter, crescent wrench for return line (17mm was too small and i just grabbed a crescent) I also cleaned the pan and gasket surface with a rag and brake cleaner.

Intense-Dakota

Landscape and Nature Photographer
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i just replaced all the fluid and filters in my 2005 ram 1500 4.7L transmission. It took about 17L and cost $12/L. The filter kit cost $60 and came with both filters and a pan gasket. I dropped the pan, drained 6L of fluid from the pan, changed the filters, replaced the pan, added 6L...then i disconnected the return line from the oil cooler and started the truck and switched gears (staying in each gear for 5 seconds) then stay in park till the fluid drains out 6L. shut it off and add 6L. repeat till fluid from the return line turns clean and new. Complete trans flush and filter change for less than $300.
Yes. The older transmissions are much easier and cheaper. The 8 speed is completely different though.

I miss the $75 trans flush my TF 727 trans in my Dart, but those days are gone.

Hydrasport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just curious, did the dealer recommend the ZF fluid service or did you ask for it? Have you referred to the trucks service schedule?

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
It's funny when people are saying servicing transmissions on new vehicles is a pain because you have to pull the pan and other parts like crossmembers. That isn't anything new and just started happening. It's actually fairly common onvehicles from all the way back to the 1960s-1970s to do stuff like that. I have an old Chevy "square body" K5 Blazer that I've owned for 30 years are you had to pull the entire pan off to change the fluid and filter (no drain plug). My previous truck was a Chevy 2500HD and remember thinking how nice it was that it actually had a drain plug, but you still had to pull the pan to change the filter, which also required pulling the crossmember.

Had one too!!

Loved that truck. Got it for $200 in 84.
Slapped in a new drivetrain & tires.
Did my level best to destroy it.

Almost 40 years later, buddy still talks about taking on the Quad trails and bouncing off the trees, down by in the river bank, low lands.
Gawds, that was one fun day.

Thanks for the Memory

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i just replaced all the fluid and filters in my 2005 ram 1500 4.7L transmission. It took about 17L and cost $12/L. The filter kit cost $60 and came with both filters and a pan gasket. I dropped the pan, drained 6L of fluid from the pan, changed the filters, replaced the pan, added 6L...then i disconnected the return line from the oil cooler and started the truck and switched gears (staying in each gear for 5 seconds) then stay in park till the fluid drains out 6L. shut it off and add 6L. repeat till fluid from the return line turns clean and new. Complete trans flush and filter change for less than $300 in my driveway with no jack and 4 tools. 8mm for pans bolts, filter wrench, h20 hex bit for 2nd filter, crescent wrench for return line (17mm was too small and i just grabbed a crescent) I also cleaned the pan and gasket surface with a rag and brake cleaner.

Great job. Thanks for sharing real-world experience. Sounds like you did it 'right'.

Man, I remember when Dextron II was like $2.50 a qt and a filter was like $15-18. Whole thing might cost $40. I'd still usually get 200k mi out of like a TH350/400 back then. Ahh, progress.

haleme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
20 years ago, I ran into the non-serviceable transmission on a 2003 VW Beetle convertible. The dealer said it was a "sealed for life" unit and the only option was a replacement at $4500 a pop. This was my first experience with nonrepairable transmissions. Thank goodness we had a Max Care warranty. Had the transmission replace 5 times in a 6 month period before we gave up on the car and sold it.

My 2018 2500 had the 30k transmission service performed at the dealer back in February for around $200. Didn't think twice about it and the truck shifts like new.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I thought there was no plug, Maybe I am thinking of no dipstick, there is a plug to fill on the side from what I hear. I have not crawled around under this one.
I have had 2005, 2010 , and now the 8 speed, while I kind of miss the shifter to rest my hand on, I really do like the 8 speed, more snap, better mileage. It has had no problems at all.

Fill and drain plugs and no dipstick is correct. Ram calls the transmission a sealed unit. Without the 8 speed I would not have purchased my truck. I'd really like them to find a way to put it or something similar behind a Cummins.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Fill and drain plugs and no dipstick is correct. Ram calls the transmission a sealed unit. Without the 8 speed I would not have purchased my truck. I'd really like them to find a way to put it or something similar behind a Cummins.
If they put on behind the CTD they better make sure the owner can check the trans fluid & service it them selves and not require it to use $32 qt ATF...

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Great job. Thanks for sharing real-world experience. Sounds like you did it 'right'.

Man, I remember when Dextron II was like $2.50 a qt and a filter was like $15-18. Whole thing might cost $40. I'd still usually get 200k mi out of like a TH350/400 back then. Ahh, progress.

The more unnecessary techno-glitz and software you have, the better person you are.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956