$229.00 Remote Start at Best Buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KahneFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
by the way.. does it replace your current fob? or do you have to use in conjunction with it

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
by the way.. does it replace your current fob? or do you have to use in conjunction with it

No it doesnt. you need both.

thats a hell of a deal for it to include install and the bypass module.

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
i was thinking of getting it down the road.. but i hate i mean hate having 2 fobs

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
OP
OP
KahneFan

KahneFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if you push lock 3 times it will start ? Now I am thinking lol Thanks

I can't say 100% only because I haven't installed this exact one yet. But, with my previous CompuStar I could hit lock 3 times on my original Ram remote and it would start as well.

With that being said, the 3x lock (I think) is a feature of the bypass module alone and not the CompuStar. IF you get a good Best Buy tech, they can install the bypass alone for $200 (according to my BB tech). However, for $30 more, you get 2 remotes, plus you get the (ability to) expand the CS system to have 2 way remotes and I think you can even add vehicle tracking and ability to start from your phone - those all cost extra... but the option to expand is there for $30. Plus, my last truck only came with 1 fob so the CS system gave me 2 more ways to unlock my truck in case I locked my keys in... which I needed a couple of times.

Here was a video I made of my previous CS system:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I can't say 100% only because I haven't installed this exact one yet. But, with my previous CompuStar I could hit lock 3 times on my original Ram remote and it would start as well.

With that being said, the 3x lock (I think) is a feature of the bypass module alone and not the CompuStar. IF you get a good Best Buy tech, they can install the bypass alone for $200 (according to my BB tech). However, for $30 more, you get 2 remotes, plus you get the (ability to) expand the CS system to have 2 way remotes and I think you can even add vehicle tracking and ability to start from your phone - those all cost extra... but the option to expand is there for $30. Plus, my last truck only came with 1 fob so the CS system gave me 2 more ways to unlock my truck in case I locked my keys in... which I needed a couple of times.

Here was a video I made of my previous CS system:

Thanks for the reply and video,, Explains alot :)

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if you push lock 3 times it will start ? Now I am thinking lol Thanks

according to the other guy yes, but keep in mind the range is no where as good ad the compustar will be

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
@KahneFan if you get it done and can confirm the 3x button thingy please report back.. in fact pm me , cause then i def grab it when it hits dod again

OP
OP
KahneFan

KahneFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@KahneFan if you get it done and can confirm the 3x button thingy please report back.. in fact pm me , cause then i def grab it when it hits dod again

It's being installed Sunday, I'll definitely report back and let you know.

OP
OP
KahneFan

KahneFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yay! Best Buy got it in a day early and got it done today!

I can confirm that my video above still applies 100%. YES you can 3X lock to start and don't (have to) have the 2nd key fob if you don't want to. I tested tonight and you can also kill the truck with 3X lock. However, if you really, REALLY, really will never use the second fobs, you can just use the bypass system alone for $209 (ish). But, for only $30 more (on Deal of the Day) , I'd really suggest getting the full system... Just in case you ever want/need the other fobs. Plus, like someone said above, I think the CompuStar remotes get better range.

Finally I will add, for $150 I picked up the DroneMobile cell phone add on. This thing is AWESOME! From my phone I can see if my doors are locked. I can lock/unlock/start/kill my truck, plus a ton of other features - there is a monthly fee $3 - $10 depending on pay frequency and features. But that's worth the convenience. Hell, just today I used it to lock the doors on my truck from 50 miles away because I apparently forgot to when I left the house. Below is the home page screenshot from the Drone app. Not sure what's up with the updated 500 days ago thing, it's live stats.

Screenshot_20180714-191809_Drone Mobile.jpg

Last edited:

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
thanks for the info... so if i get that dotd system , thats all i need to make it work with the 3 unlock trick, correct... im not keen to paying monthly for the extras so ill keep it simple and cheaper.. lol..

OP
OP
KahneFan

KahneFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks for the info... so if i get that dotd system , thats all i need to make it work with the 3 unlock trick, correct... im not keen to paying monthly for the extras so ill keep it simple and cheaper.. lol..

Yes, the DOTD system is 100% all you need for 3X lock. And, again, if you will truly never use the extra alarm remotes, you can accomplish the 3X with JUST the bypass module for about $200 without waiting for a DOTD.

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
Yes, the DOTD system is 100% all you need for 3X lock. And, again, if you will truly never use the extra alarm remotes, you can accomplish the 3X with JUST the bypass module for about $200 without waiting for a DOTD.

Yea but who would do that when for 30 more you get the whole system plus the install.

Thanks for the info. Was the tech familiar with the three press method ? Or was it you that tried it on your own.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yay! Best Buy got it in a day early and got it done today!

I can confirm that my video above still applies 100%. YES you can 3X lock to start and don't (have to) have the 2nd key fob if you don't want to. I tested tonight and you can also kill the truck with 3X lock. However, if you really, REALLY, really will never use the second fobs, you can just use the bypass system alone for $209 (ish). But, for only $30 more (on Deal of the Day) , I'd really suggest getting the full system... Just in case you ever want/need the other fobs. Plus, like someone said above, I think the CompuStar remotes get better range.

Finally I will add, for $150 I picked up the DroneMobile cell phone add on. This thing is AWESOME! From my phone I can see if my doors are locked. I can lock/unlock/start/kill my truck, plus a ton of other features - there is a monthly fee $3 - $10 depending on pay frequency and features. But that's worth the convenience. Hell, just today I used it to lock the doors on my truck from 50 miles away because I apparently forgot to when I left the house. Below is the home page screenshot from the Drone app. Not sure what's up with the updated 500 days ago thing, it's live stats.

View attachment 134245
You might contact you're insurance company and see if you could get a discount for that drone security. You could deffinately put the kabause on someone trying to steel you're truck.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You might contact you're insurance company and see if you could get a discount for that drone security. You could deffinately put the kabause on someone trying to steel you're truck.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

its not a full alarm so i doubt they would. If it was paired with an alarm then they would. not to mention you should have asked already for once since you have a chip in your factory key.

OP
OP
KahneFan

KahneFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea but who would do that when for 30 more you get the whole system plus the install.

Thanks for the info. Was the tech familiar with the three press method ? Or was it you that tried it on your own.

The tech at our local store was very knowledgeable. He was definitely familiar with the 3X. When I first spoke with him to setup the CompuStar appointment, he's the one who mentioned I could save some $$ with just the 3X alone. But, he was looking at the full price $450 instead of the DOTD price. Once he saw the DOTD price he agreed it was worth the small amount more for the full system.