2500 4WD Steering Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Green_Manalishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just picked up a 2017 2500 4WD 6.7 w/120k. I noticed when cornering in 2WD, the steering acts like it's trying to self center, but not smoothly. It jerks the wheel slightly. Not enough to cause a crash, but annoying as all get out.

Suggestions?

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a similar issue with my 18 2500 CTD. The steering feels notchy, especially when going around corners at highway speeds. Local dealer has a steering box on order under warranty, but they are back ordered (which should tell you something). Someone here suggested I spray the u-joint knuckle on the steering shaft with lube. I did a few days ago and it seems to be much better. Time will tell.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The u joints tend to go bad, may want to look into that. On the steering shaft.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Most likely a Axle ujoint is bad. Jack the front end of the truck off the ground, turn the steering wheel to one side and try spinning the wheels. Should be able to see which one is binding up.

OP
OP
Green_Manalishi

Green_Manalishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the suggestions. All the hardware looks good. I rotated the tires just in case, but to no avail. It seems like more of a power steering issue as it doesn't appear until you're in a curve for a few seconds. The fluid level is good, and there are no other steering issues at other times.

i'll keep diggin...

OP
OP
Green_Manalishi

Green_Manalishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the suggestions. All the hardware looks good. I rotated the tires just in case, but to no avail. It seems like more of a power steering issue as it doesn't appear until you're in a curve for a few seconds. The fluid level is good, and there are no other steering issues at other times.

i'll keep diggin...

OP
OP
Green_Manalishi

Green_Manalishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

i'll keep diggin...

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

i'll keep diggin...
Yep, it sounds just like my issue. Did you spray lube the u-joint on the steering wheel shaft yet? Takes all of a minute to do.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have a similar issue with my 18 2500 CTD. The steering feels notchy, especially when going around corners at highway speeds. Local dealer has a steering box on order under warranty, but they are back ordered (which should tell you something). Someone here suggested I spray the u-joint knuckle on the steering shaft with lube. I did a few days ago and it seems to be much better. Time will tell.

These u-joints are considered 'non-serviceable', but if you're careful you can lube them as discussed here. They can be a challenge to get to, but I'd bet this is where OP's binding is coming from. If it were doing it while driving straight I'd think axle, but since it is while cornering I would suggest steering shaft.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Just picked up a 2017 2500 4WD 6.7 w/120k. I noticed when cornering in 2WD, the steering acts like it's trying to self center, but not smoothly. It jerks the wheel slightly. Not enough to cause a crash, but annoying as all get out.

Suggestions?

Hello @Green_Manalishi,

Sorry to hear about your steering concerns. We understand if you wish to continue troubleshooting in this thread, but if you decide to take your vehicle to the dealer for a diagnosis please let us know via private message. We would love to help!

Hannah
Ram Cares

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

Sorry to hear about this @jejb, let's see what we can do! If you wish, our team can create and escalate a case for parts assistance if you would like to continue working with your dealer. To start, send our team a message with your VIN to get started.

Hannah
Ram Cares

OP
OP
Green_Manalishi

Green_Manalishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With the truck idling in park, I turn the steering wheel back and forth with no issues. No slack, slop, play, etc.

What I did notice was when I turned the steering wheel any amount and held it there, listening to the engine rpm drop while it is powering the pump, after a second or two the rpm's rise slightly and at the same time, the steering wheel jerks a bit like it is trying to return to center.

It seems like there is a pressure valve inside the power steering pump that releases pressure which causes the steering wheel to jerk. It doesn't seem to hold a steady pressure. Jejeb, thanks for the tip. It could be an issue with the steering box and not the pump. I hope not since I'm out of warranty!

The saga continues...

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
With the knowledge you just posted, that does definitely sound like a power steering issue, whether it be the box or the pump. At least you've got a direction to go in now.