2500 6.4 buying advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I am going to be looking at buying a new truck within the next year and for I have concluded that a 3/4 ton gasser would fill my needs perfectly. I would like a late model used Ram with the 6.4. Main concern is reliability of the engine/transmission. I have read about the 14s having bad wrist pins but havent found much to read on concerning 15 models and up. Just as a general consensus how reliable are the motors/transmissions? Any common issues? Is it normal for them to clatter/tick on startup and it go away after a minute as I have read? Reliability is judged from my current 2010 QC TRX4 that has given flawless engine/transmission performance for 168,000 miles and counting.

Megazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd recommend posting in the heavy duty section also. I have a 2014 2500 with the 6.4 and have had no issues with the engine. I had shift solenoids go out around 2500 miles for the transmission that put the truck into limp mode. It was fixed under warranty with no mechanical or electrical issues since. I now have 30,000 miles on the truck. The only continuing problem I have is with the navigation system GPS not working correctly. Just annoying that I have to use my phone for GPS.

My truck does make a ticking/knocking sound when its cold out (below freezing) on the first start. It lasts about 3-4 seconds. I had a little bit of lifter noise until I ran two gas tanks of Redline SI-1 through. I did that about 15,000 miles ago, and the engine is super quiet now. I'm not sure if it was the Redline or just putting more miles on the truck, but it's quite now. The Ram is a lot quieter than my previous 2013 3.6L jeep. That thing sounded like a sewing machine.

In my opinion, if I was to go shopping tomorrow for a 6.4 Hemi and it ticked or knocked for more then 30 seconds I'd keep looking. One thing to realize is you can also hear the injectors. I'd recommend going and listening to several new and used 6.4s if you can. As for the transmission, mine works fine. The shift point from first to second is known to be a little big, but I've not had issues with it even while towing. If I accelerate hard and then hit the brakes sometimes, I get a clunk as the truck tries to figure out what I just did to it.

Drive a few, see what you think. I personally believe the reliability is there and that is why I purchased mine. I plan to have this truck for at least 10-15 years and then hand it down to my son. In the heavy-duty section, there is a "how many miles" thread. https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-many-miles-on-you-6-4-hemi.100126/ . Best of luck.

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I too have a 2014 2500 Mega with 4:10 gears. Engine and transmission have been great for 58,000 miles now. She's thirsty though. Overall average is 10 mpg that mix of hwy, city and pulling trailers. No maintenance like the deisel and not to mention up front cost of the Cummins.
I love my truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Mine has been solid. I don’t have the clattering issue or any kinds of whining noises. Nothing at all. The truck has just performed flawlessly. There was a little smoke once or twice at cold start up under 1,000 miles but has not happened since. Transmission has been fine. No complaints.

I would look for a 2016 maybe. And keep in mind that used HD’s can be a little bit of a gamble because most people beat the **** out of HD trucks. Find one with a nice history that was regularly serviced at the dealer and met all the services for the mileage. Take a long good test drive and inspect under the truck. Also listen for odd noises/smells etc..

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I... No maintenance like the deisel and not to mention up front cost of the Cummins.

I keep hearing people say all the maintenance the diesels have, I'm curious what you mean by that? other then fuel filters once a year I don't see a difference?

OP
OP
K
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies guys, usually negative things pop up when you do a google search on the 6.4 but then again people with problems are more likely get on the internet and ***** vs the the majority who are satisfied with their truck. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a good deal on one, they're somewhat of a rarity in my area

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Thanks for the replies guys, usually negative things pop up when you do a google search on the 6.4 but then again people with problems are more likely get on the internet and ***** vs the the majority who are satisfied with their truck. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a good deal on one, they're somewhat of a rarity in my area

Car forums especially make things look bad because there are more people going there to complain about stuff then people going on to say hey I bought a truck 5 years ago and have never had any problems with it. It was the same thing when I used to check the GM forums. Complaint after complaint. Don’t even think of going to a Cadillac forum.

Just think about how many 6.4 HD trucks are out there, a lot of those trucks being used for abusive work by companies and state agencies. Idling literally all day, towing and hauling a lot of payload all week. I see a lot of those around here on the highways and most are Hemi trucks. Check out sites that sell retired fleet vehicles and you’ll find some gas HDs with serious miles. Of course there can be issues but I see zero reason to be concerned they are generally unreliable. The trick is like with any used vehicle, find one that was well maintained.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I have a 2018 HD Ram 6.4, and after 5 Cummins HD's, I thought I would try a gasser. So far I just love this truck! I no longer tow, so another Cummins made no sense.

Engine is sewing machine smooth, however, I am now running Redline 5w40 oil. Never had a tick, and decided to go with the best oil right up front.

Honestly, drivability on the 6.4 is better than the Cummins. Accelerates better, handles better, stops better and has 900 pounds less over the front axle.

I enjoyed my diesel HD's when I used to tow, but I couldn't justify the cost of another one over the 6.4. I have zero regrets.

IMG_20180803_134412.jpg

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
The 6.4 with 410 gears is a beautiful combo, and I would recommend you look for that. The 6.4 HD truck turned out to have more legs and more capable than I ever thought possible. It's got power, comfort, ground clearance and nice ride height. My truck only has 6k on it so I can't comment on durability. I have noticed a knock/piston slap on cold start that I can hear 1:40 seconds After start up. That tells me the engine is starved of oil due to the small paper oil filter. Once the oil increases in temperature the knock goes away immediately. I did have a transmission issue, but a quick learn from the dealership fixed it. I also got The Clunk in the rear end, but selecting manual mode and locking out 6th gear took up the slop in the driveline in city traffic. These are minor issues to me but maybe not to you; only time will tell if they become an issue. Overall I absolutely love this truck, and would buy it again. The biggest problem I've had owning 3 Ram trucks is the Dealership, absolutely horrible and criminal at times dealing with warranty work, maintenance and repairs.

IMG_1292.JPG

BuggyMasters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve got the 4.10’s as well and it is a great driver! It is thirsty as someone else mentioned. Needs fed on a very regular basis but honestly think it would be worse with the 3.73’s.

Hogrider98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2016 6.4 with 373 love the truck.fuel economy is about equal to the 2010 tundra I traded in. I tow on weekends only so I could not justify a deisel powered truck.nor did I want to deal with the deisel emission components that seem to fail prematurely