2500 Cummins, good for towing or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
my 2020 2500 pulls my 12400 lb. fifth wheel great, it has a cummins and 373's and a payload of 2138 lbs.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Well it better be able to pull my 26 ft travel trailer cause this is what followed me home last night.
2021 2500 Bighorn in Olive Green Pearl.

IMG_2162.JPG

IMG_2161.JPG

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Welcome to your new home Sarge.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, if you don't work the 6.7 cummins hard you wasted a LOT of extra money. My dealer turned me away from one and pushed me to the 6.4 gasser. I had the money all out and he said what, how much and how often will you tow? I told him occassionally a large trailer with a backhoe or dozer on it... Not a lot and not that often. He literally said you are wasting your money and will have issues with the cummins if you don't "work" it every day..... He sold me on an 8500.00 cheaper 6.4L Since your horse has left the barn already, good luck with it!

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Well, if you don't work the 6.7 cummins hard you wasted a LOT of extra money. My dealer turned me away from one and pushed me to the 6.4 gasser. I had the money all out and he said what, how much and how often will you tow? I told him occassionally a large trailer with a backhoe or dozer on it... Not a lot and not that often. He literally said you are wasting your money and will have issues with the cummins if you don't "work" it every day..... He sold me on an 8500.00 cheaper 6.4L Since your horse has left the barn already, good luck with it!

LOL. Our plans are to haul the TT to Ct this spring, then out west during the summer to visit the national parks. Then back to FL for winter then repeat for a couple of years. I think we'll put that rig to good use.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LOL. Our plans are to haul the TT to Ct this spring, then out west during the summer to visit the national parks. Then back to FL for winter then repeat for a couple of years. I think we'll put that rig to good use.
You should have a long and happy experience with your cummins then. I had a 2007, first gen 6.7 with the DPF and NO urea injection. That truck ran perfectly. I put 130k on it in 5 years and it was still going strong. Never should have traded it in! The brakes lasted for 90,000 miles because of the excellent engine breaking with the new turbo they put on them. Fantastic vehicle but I wouldn't have used mine enough and the dealer was frank and honest with me about it. (Sign of a good dealer).... Good luck, I am sure you will enjoy it!

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
My last diesel truck (I had a Jetta diesel after that) was a 1991 D250 and it was a daily commuter mostly. Awesome truck, it was easy to "tune up" and I had it 7 years and it had about 180K on it when I sold it. It rusted out as I lived in Ct at the time.
It turned heads all the time even though it was a plain jane looking truck with a cap. A real sleeper.
This one is too sofisticated but its a beast