2500HD 5.7 transmission overheating?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
nice find there

OP
OP
N

napkinthief

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is no thermal bypass. Just the original pressure switch.

Is there a test for the switch?

That description you posted points to valve body ball #2

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Pressure Sensor??
If he has no thermal bypass, I would suspect that sucker!

here is cut and paste...

Common Problems with the 545RFE
Delayed and/or harsh 3-4 or 4-5 shifts
Problem – Owners may experience an unusually delayed or harsh 3-4 or 4-5 gear change, where the transmission doesn’t seem to want to go into that particular gear.
Solution – This issue is related to valve body problems where the material used to make one of the checkballs has broken down to the point that fluid is able to get past and engage the underdrive clutch during those shifts. An upgraded #2 checkball will be needed to solve the issue.

Solenoid Pack: With no transmission bands, the electronically controlled 545RFE relies on a solenoid switch pack to direct fluid to the correct clutch pack for gear engagement. If the solenoid pack goes bad, you’ll experience no gear engagement, engine stalling, ‘limp mode’, or failure to engage overdrive.

Slipping and Delayed Gear Engagement: The transmission pump has a little valve mechanism inside it, which controls the fluid pressure being transferred from the torque converter. If it goes bad, you’ll have delayed gear engagement, transmission/torque converter overheating, stalling, slipping, and reduced fuel economy.

Another common problem is overheating. This happens when the moving parts inside the transmission are creating more friction heat than the ATF can remove. The most common cause of this condition is towing heavy loads, driving in stop/go traffic, or on mountain roads where the transmission has to shift a lot.

Updates to Remanufactured 545RFE Transmissions
545RFE_FRO-1-300x300.jpg

• Fully remanufactured valve body includes updated solenoid switch valves for improved shifting, lubrication, and performance.
  • Fully remanufactured torque converter is tested for leaks, lockup, concentricity, and balance. Upgrades exceed OE requirements and eliminate the possibility of front seal leaks, premature bushing wear, and vibration.
  • Completely remanufactured pump, complete with updated TCC limit valve and TCC accumulator to ensure proper TCC control and cooler flow, provides consistent internal pressures, eliminating slippage and delayed engagement.
  • New line pressure sensor maintains consistent shift quality.
  • Secured accumulator cover bolts prevent loss of 3rd or 4th gear.
  • Fully remanufactured solenoid packs are tested separately from the transmission before dyno testing to verify shift quality and pressure control.
  • All-new custom-spec bushings improve internal fluid flow control and pressures.
  • Bushings and machined surfaces polished to a mirror-like OE finish of 16 RA or less.
  • Complete system correction and recalibration kit installed to address several OE flaws. Modifications include updates to servos, the PR system, and valve body accumulators.
  • Heavy-duty recalibration kit installed to reduce slippage and increase durability.
  • Complete road simulation using a dynamometer testing program called C.A.R.S. (Computer Aided Road Simulation). Every transmission is cold and hot tested before shipment.

That’s the trans i bought for my 1500, only it’s the 65RFE (i’m aware there’s no differences aside from the vb)

Sent from RAM

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

You have the 2500, so instead of you having a 545RFE/65RFE you have a 66RFE

Sent from RAM

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well a 5.7 is the first sign of problem in a 2500... if your tranny is running anything over 190 you have serious issues. Plugged tranny cooler would be my thought... I have a 2019 with the 8 speed and I pull 8,000 and never see it over 175.... your tranny is already cooked.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

If your trans was running over 190 for extended periods of time and not just once, then i’d seriously suggest a new trans or atleast a rebuild, as you have no idea how cooked the clutches are which in your case they could be so cooked theyre minutes away from a catastrophic failure.

I expect your VB to be warped which is causing not enough fluid pressure to get to the clutches, which is causing the clutches to drag against each other and cause major heat build up and the truck not being able to dissipate the heat.

I’d go with a new valve body first, not an expensive one, as there’s no way to prove that that’s actually the issue. If you get a cheap new VB for your truck and it clears the issues then you know what to look for.

If it doesn’t, then i’d just take out the trans and rebuild it.

Sent from RAM

OP
OP
N

napkinthief

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Sent from RAM

Sent from RAM

i do believe it has a 545rfe. in tow haul there is only 5 speeds. the build sheet says 5.7 and 545rfe when looking up by vin

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm not 100 but I think only the Cummins for the 65,66, or 68 in that early year whatever one it was I guess 68, so your 2500 also had the 5.7 I think it is possible you have the 545. My memory have failed me before, but I know before the 6.4 we had that 5.7 in the 2500 and I thought the 545 came with it.

OP
OP
N

napkinthief

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just chiming back in here, 2 weeks later...

seems replacing the fluid and filter was a cureall for the trans. ive not had a rough shift or slip over the past week at all.

yesterday i took a 45 mile drive, came back, idled it for over an hour and trans temps didnt go over 145. (idling after a drive was killing my temps before)

ive kept in the back of my head, the cost of a rebuild and been throwing savings into that pool. eventually it may need it and ill be ready

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
just chiming back in here, 2 weeks later...

seems replacing the fluid and filter was a cureall for the trans. ive not had a rough shift or slip over the past week at all.

yesterday i took a 45 mile drive, came back, idled it for over an hour and trans temps didnt go over 145. (idling after a drive was killing my temps before)

ive kept in the back of my head, the cost of a rebuild and been throwing savings into that pool. eventually it may need it and ill be ready

What fluid did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

napkinthief

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
final update here, maybe one more after this if i open up the trans..

about 2 months and 2400ish miles later, the trans goes back to same symptoms. the fluid is burnt again. i was able to stretch it out long enough to get another trans. sourced from fenix auto in rahway nj, 110k mile 545rfe paid 1200 with 3 year warranty.

the cooler lines didnt look good, exterior rust, fittings didnt look easy to remove. so i also replaced the cooler and the 2 pairs of hard lines to the trans, paid about 350 at dodge (including new exhaust bolts/nuts, new torx bolts for front driveshaft and front pinion seal)

she drives really well now, ill probably eventually open up the old trans for a looksie, but doubtful ill have any issues in near future.

also note, the ONLY 545rfe that works direct drop in is 09-10 ram 1500/2500 5.7 with 4x4

thanks for the help guys, now that shes ready time for fun mods :D

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
final update here, maybe one more after this if i open up the trans..

about 2 months and 2400ish miles later, the trans goes back to same symptoms. the fluid is burnt again. i was able to stretch it out long enough to get another trans. sourced from fenix auto in rahway nj, 110k mile 545rfe paid 1200 with 3 year warranty.

the cooler lines didnt look good, exterior rust, fittings didnt look easy to remove. so i also replaced the cooler and the 2 pairs of hard lines to the trans, paid about 350 at dodge (including new exhaust bolts/nuts, new torx bolts for front driveshaft and front pinion seal)

she drives really well now, ill probably eventually open up the old trans for a looksie, but doubtful ill have any issues in near future.

also note, the ONLY 545rfe that works direct drop in is 09-10 ram 1500/2500 5.7 with 4x4

thanks for the help guys, now that shes ready time for fun mods :D

great to hear, i’d suggest looking @ your pump if you ever get it apart. let us know what you find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk