2nd key fob with remote-start - where to store?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prattguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey all - 1st-time Ram owner who is loving his new 2019. Question about what to do with the 2nd key fob. I may get ridiculed for this, but traditionally, I have kept the spare key to my prior vehicles in a magnetic box attached to the vehicle frame. That way, in the event I ever lost the main key I would always have my backup key right there. Now I have the remote-start feature on my key fob with no traditional (metal) key, and I'm not sure what to do about keeping a spare close by in the event I lose my main fob, or if it gets stolen. Can I still put the 2nd fob in a magnetic box on my frame, or will the close range of my fob prevent my truck from locking? Or, if someone breaks into the truck will the close proximity of the key allow to put their foot on the brake and start/steal the truck?

If I can't logically put it on the frame, it seems I would need to leave the spare fob at home which would leave me stranded if I happened to drive somewhere and lose the main. I've never lost a set of keys in my 45 years, but obviously there's always a first. Any other suggestions for keeping a backup close by other than carry two fobs with me at all times?

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
In the glove box. If you provide us with the address where you park your truck, we can make sure it stays safe for you.

Seriously though, I keep mine at home in a safe. I’ve never lost a keyless fob (or any fob) so its more in the event it gets damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evolved02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the glove box. If you provide us with the address where you park your truck, we can make sure it stays safe for you.

Seriously though, I keep mine at home in a safe. I’ve never lost a keyless fob (or any fob) so its more in the event it gets damaged.

Smooth!! lol

Yah I keep mine in the safe as well...

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Not sure how much range a FOB has. Could be if it is placed in the rear of the vehicle it would be far enough away from the receiver to keep it from allowing the truck to start. You’ll have to experiment a little to see if you can find a FOB “dead zone” to hide it in. Let us know what you figure out.

magic280z

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you put it too far toward the back it will unlock the tailgate. Can it be stored without the battery? The physical key in the fob will open the door and if you press the fob against the start button it should work without a battery. I'm not sure the long term effects of no battery in the fob.

Sam

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Until you said that, I did not even know that there was a physical key in there. That changes everything :)
That physical key will get you in, but alarm will go off if not unlocked by fob. Without the fob, you still can't start the truck.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
FWIW I keep my second key at my company (which owns the truck). I have thought about getting a third one for my backup, since I understand you can how have more than two. Pretty sure you used to be limited to two.

FPrice

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
In the pre-fob days I always had at least three keys for every vehicle. When keys were cheap.

1. On my key chain for regular daily use.
2. A spare at home if anyone needed the vehicle in my absence (vehicle was at home). Or bring it to me in the event of no. 3.
3. A key hidden in the vehice in the event I lost my keys while out. That way if I HAD to break a window, or better yet call AAA, I would have a key.

Now with my Ram 1500 and the fob, it's a bit more expensive to have these options past number 2.

You can use Uconnect to unlock your vehicle but that only does so much. You can use Uconnect to start your vehicle, but if you are on the outside, you are locked out. And if you can get inside, you still need the fob to be able to drive.

I am considering getting a third fob to hide inside my truck. Amd maybe take the emergency key out and side it somewhere on the outside. Still working out the pros and cons of this option.

And for anyone who says that they have never lost their keys, there is at least one other person who has and who has needed help.

Added: Just saw Tumbleweed's post, Thanks!

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
I think the extra fob belongs in the truck. Its easy to hide it where a thief will not easily find it. I have a cut key hidden outside the truck so I can get in to use the spare.

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
And for anyone who says that they have never lost their keys, there is at least one other person who has and who has needed help.

The question is, with the multiple options you listed, are the downsides worth the slim chance the keys are lost? We all have spare keys at home, that isn’t the issue. But, I have a coworker who had his car stolen because they found the hidden key. What if the car doesn’t lock right one day because it senses the second key? There are just so many downsides for me that I rather lose the couple of hours than lose the key or risk my vehicle.

Last edited:

dputnam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
I don't have remote start, so not sure how this might translate, but typically I would make a copy of metal key and hide-a-key so I could get into the vehicle, and then have the (chipped) FOB hidden in the truck. Like I said, with remote start enabled FOB hidden in the truck, it might allow anyone with access to start the truck.

FPrice

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The question is, with the multiple options you listed, are the downsides worth the slim chance the keys are lost? We all have spare keys at home, that isn’t the issue. But, I have a coworker who had his car stolen because they found the hidden key. What if they car doesn’t lock right one day because it senses the second key? There are just so many downsides for me that I rather lose the couple of hours than lose the key or risk my vehicle.

There are a lot of options and potential upsides/downsides. I guess that in the end, it depends upon which you consider to be the most likely scenario you might face.

For a period of time I considered hanging a spare key around the neck of a large King Cobra and keeping it loose in the passenger compartment.

A very SHORT period of time I might add.

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think your overthinking this. Have you lost your key before...some people have a habit of losing keys. The important thing is to have a spare FOB somewhere, if at home it takes longer to get, but at least you don't have to break into the truck and have it towed to a dealer.

There is always the Uconnect service. You get voice to text and remote lock/unlock from your phone. Your still can't start the truck.

You "could" wrap the extra FOB in foil, and then plastic, then electrical tape. Then attach it to the frame. The foil should block the signal from the FOB
It would be easy to confirm that the car won't unlock or start with the hidden FOB attached.
But remember to change the battery in the FOB every couple of years....BUT.....IF the battery goes dead in the FOB, you can
use the metal key to unlock the door. Then to start the truck, use the bottom end of the FOB to push the start button. There is a RFID chip in there just for the purpose of a dead FOB battery. For those that doubt this, check the manual.

Page 20 (2019 manual)
In a situation where the battery is low or fully depleted, a back up method can be used to operate the ignition switch. Put the nose side of the key fob (side opposite of the Emergency Key) against the ENGINE START/STOP button and push to operate the ignition switch.

Last edited:

dputnam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel