2wd 4low switch from diesel performance products

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adventurebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone with a manual transfer case PW instal one of these? I like the concept of not having to take it out of 4low when hitting switchbacks.

Question:

Works with the manual t case? Assuming so since it disconects the front "hubs".

Does this work when already in 4low? As in, do you need to hit the switch and then go into 4low? Or can you be in 4low and hit the switch to go in and out of 4wd as much as you like?

https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/bd-1030705-13-18-ram-hd-09-18-ram

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
it would appear all that gizmo does is when the trucks in 4lo you just hit the switch and it slides the axle shaft collar back over so your basically in 2lo. people with large campers that have to back into tight spots are the only ones normally using stuff like that. some people on the ford site are doing it by overiding the hubs so they have 2lo for backing large campers. really i see no other use for it

OP
OP
Adventurebound

Adventurebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe there is some confusion on what this will allow...basically when in 4low and you need to steer full lock it will disconnect the front hubs to prevent the front end from binding, or as some people might describe it, the front end will "hop".

If you have driven tight switchbacks in 4low you will know what I'm talking about. Reference the road to Briggs cabin in Death Valley.

Anyone on here actually intall one of these yet? I only learned of this bypass/switch recently from the FWC forum where someone installed one on their non-pw.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
looks like it would be an awesome addition.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe there is some confusion on what this will allow...basically when in 4low and you need to steer full lock it will disconnect the front hubs to prevent the front end from binding, or as some people might describe it, the front end will "hop".

If you have driven tight switchbacks in 4low you will know what I'm talking about. Reference the road to Briggs cabin in Death Valley.

Anyone on here actually intall one of these yet? I only learned of this bypass/switch recently from the FWC forum where someone installed one on their non-pw.

the only confusion is with yourself. i explained in stupid simple terms what it does. slides the collar over while the tcase is in 4lo

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the deisel power products has no sensors of any kind. it cant detect drivetrain binding. the switch has to flipped manually. for backing large campers to tight spots on pavement it could be useful. otherwise, seems useless

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can think of many times I would love 2lo. as mentioned tight steep switch backs would be great. I can think of many places in Moab it would be nice. would be great coming down black bear pass in colorado and pretty much any tight shelf road.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i suppose its like anything in life. one person could find 20 uses for it and the next person wont find any. if its something you want then buy it. hell with what anyone says. thats how i look at it

JamesgPW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
the deisel power products has no sensors of any kind. it cant detect drivetrain binding. the switch has to flipped manually. for backing large campers to tight spots on pavement it could be useful. otherwise, seems useless

What he is describing is in 4lo with the wheel turned hard to lock, low gearing will cause axle shaft binding in front axle and can leave the axle vulnerable to a shaft snapping under even very low throttle. This switch allows you to disconnect the front axle as you pointed out but keep the low gearing from the transfer case to the rear axle as to retard downhill acceleration. I think the OP asked if this could be engaged/disengaged while the truck is already in 4low. The answer is no, you will destroy your front axle drive components if you do. The product’s PDF gives very specific instructions for engaging and disengaging the front axle. The bypass switch must be activated FIRST, then a normal owners manual 4low engagement must be done. It goes on to state DO NOT disengage the switch (switch the front axle back on) until you have shift the transfer case back to 2wd, then you can turn the switch off, shift back to 4low and both axles will be powered. It also states DO NOT use this function in 4hi

Last edited:

JamesgPW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Full read the product PDF for this product before engaging it.

Last edited:

JamesgPW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Anyone with a manual transfer case PW instal one of these? I like the concept of not having to take it out of 4low when hitting switchbacks.

Question:

Works with the manual t case? Assuming so since it disconects the front "hubs".

Does this work when already in 4low? As in, do you need to hit the switch and then go into 4low? Or can you be in 4low and hit the switch to go in and out of 4wd as much as you like?

https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/bd-1030705-13-18-ram-hd-09-18-ram

DO NOT engage this while already in 4low, you will destroy your front axle. The product PDF gives instructions for engaging and disengaging the switch. You MUST engage the switch with the Tcase in 2wd, then shift trans to neutral, then shift tcase to 4low. Prior to turning the switch off, you must shift trans to neutral, shift tcase to 2wd, then turn switch off. Do not use in 4hi.

JamesgPW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I would stay away from this device. I'm already confused just reading the post...! Lol

It is a good mod but it has a very limited purpose offroad. In theory, the 19+ PW could take advantage of a “2low” offroad the best of all of them it can engage it’s rear locker in 2wd. Overall this is more of tow rig mod than offroad mod. While I probably don’t have the most experience in the situations the OP is referencing, I have some and I have found 4hi and setting my gear limit to one ******* my downhill speed enough with much less risk of front bind.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the only confusion is with yourself. i explained in stupid simple terms what it does. slides the collar over while the tcase is in 4lo
Easy there...I took it as the person responding to the post above there's talking about the Able Components locker bypass switch which has nothing to do with this.

As being involved in the off-road trailridng and rock crawling world for 20+years I can say having the option of 2 low on a trail is nice to have, and actually quite common nowadays as a lot of aftermarket transfer cases have this ability, and several other factory cases can be modified. I've been on a lot of trails where they are really tight and/or going up and down steep hills where being able to use low range would be very nice, but you don't need the traction of 4wd. Obviously maneuvering a trailer around would be a good use for it also.

A couple other comments:
Not quite sure how you will "destroy" the front axle if you shifted the device while in 4 low or not. Knowing the operation of the system I just don't see that happening. Granted, I wouldn't want to shift it while under power but this a different situation to just sitting still.
And you will not snap an axle under low speed, low throttle condition when turning on hard surfaces and getting wheel hop. Sure, it may seem bad but the torque loads are nowhere close to what you see during full throttle climbs up a rocky and rutted hill as you are bouncing around. If doing a slow full lock turn on a hard service would break something the truck wouldn't stand a chance in any other situation.....

JamesgPW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Easy there...I took it as the person responding to the post above there's talking about the Able Components locker bypass switch which has nothing to do with this.

As being involved in the off-road trailridng and rock crawling world for 20+years I can say having the option of 2 low on a trail is nice to have, and actually quite common nowadays as a lot of aftermarket transfer cases have this ability, and several other factory cases can be modified. I've been on a lot of trails where they are really tight and/or going up and down steep hills where being able to use low range would be very nice, but you don't need the traction of 4wd. Obviously maneuvering a trailer around would be a good use for it also.

A couple other comments:
Not quite sure how you will "destroy" the front axle if you shifted the device while in 4 low or not. Knowing the operation of the system I just don't see that happening. Granted, I wouldn't want to shift it while under power but this a different situation to just sitting still.
And you will not snap an axle under low speed, low throttle condition when turning on hard surfaces and getting wheel hop. Sure, it may seem bad but the torque loads are nowhere close to what you see during full throttle climbs up a rocky and rutted hill as you are bouncing around. If doing a slow full lock turn on a hard service would break something the truck wouldn't stand a chance in any other situation.....

The PDF for the mod literally says do not engage/disengage the switch while in 4LO because the the load put on the front axle by the tcase in 4LO and warns of damaging your ability to use your front axle if you do.

OP
OP
Adventurebound

Adventurebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What he is describing is in 4lo with the wheel turned hard to lock, low gearing will cause axle shaft binding in front axle and can leave the axle vulnerable to a shaft snapping under even very low throttle. This switch allows you to disconnect the front axle as you pointed out but keep the low gearing from the transfer case to the rear axle as to retard downhill acceleration. I think the OP asked if this could be engaged/disengaged while the truck is already in 4low. The answer is no, you will destroy your front axle drive components if you do. The product’s PDF gives very specific instructions for engaging and disengaging the front axle. The bypass switch must be activated FIRST, then a normal owners manual 4low engagement must be done. It goes on to state DO NOT disengage the switch (switch the front axle back on) until you have shift the transfer case back to 2wd, then you can turn the switch off, shift back to 4low and both axles will be powered. It also states DO NOT use this function in 4hi

Yes, answered the question I was asking. Thanks! Actually I see now they have the install/owners manual on the website...lol. I think I will pass, love the ability, don't love the functionality. I was just looking for a way to bypass manually shifting out of 4wd on tight turns but this seems; one it won't operate the way I wanted and two, it potentially could cause issues on the front axles.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The PDF for the mod literally says do not engage/disengage the switch while in 4LO because the the load put on the front axle by the tcase in 4LO and warns of damaging your ability to use your front axle if you do.
You need to actually read it. The below is directly copied from the file on the website....... It simply states it will not engage or disengage correctly, which is a long way from "destroying the axle", causing any type of damage, or killing a bus full of nuns............

IMPORTANT Engage the 2 Low Unloc before switching the transfer case to 4WD. Do not engage or disengage the axle lock while the transfer case is in 4WD mode. The load put on the front axle from the transfer case when in 4WD will not allow the front axle locking mechanism to engage or disengage correctly.

JamesgPW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yes, answered the question I was asking. Thanks! Actually I see now they have the install/owners manual on the website...lol. I think I will pass, love the ability, don't love the functionality. I was just looking for a way to bypass manually shifting out of 4wd on tight turns but this seems; one it won't operate the way I wanted and two, it potentially could cause issues on the front axles.
You need to actually read it. The below is directly copied from the file on the website....... It simply states it will not engage or disengage correctly, which is a long way from "destroying the axle", causing any type of damage, or killing a bus full of nuns............

IMPORTANT Engage the 2 Low Unloc before switching the transfer case to 4WD. Do not engage or disengage the axle lock while the transfer case is in 4WD mode. The load put on the front axle from the transfer case when in 4WD will not allow the front axle locking mechanism to engage or disengage correctly.
So usually when something doesn’t engage correctly and then has force directed into or at it during mechanical operation, it usually snaps, breaks, cracks, or pieces sheer off. Basically the way I reading that, is the mechanism in the tcase that locks and sends power to front axle will not be engaged or disengaged correctly, IE not aligned right, some type of pin not engaged or disengaged, some type of teeth out of alignment, something of that nature. Now apply the gearing force of 4LO and you are provably in for some type of a break. To me, any damage that could prevent my front axle from working when I need it too is the same as destroying it for all intents and purposes when there isn't a mechanics shop next to where you are stuck on the trail.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So usually when something doesn’t engage correctly and then has force directed into or at it during mechanical operation, it usually snaps, breaks, cracks, or pieces sheer off. Basically the way I reading that, is the mechanism in the tcase that locks and sends power to front axle will not be engaged or disengaged correctly, IE not aligned right, some type of pin not engaged or disengaged, some type of teeth out of alignment, something of that nature. Now apply the gearing force of 4LO and you are provably in for some type of a break. To me, any damage that could prevent my front axle from working when I need it too is the same as destroying it for all intents and purposes when there isn't a mechanics shop next to where you are stuck on the trail.
As already stated there is a big difference from something simply not engaging and it breaking. I also guarantee if it was going to cause damage the manufacturer would specifically state it could cause damage. Going a step further if somebody accidentally pushing the button in the wrong order was going to destroy the axle every time the manufacturer would probably have some time of failsafe built in to the system, like if 4 low was already engaged it wouldn't allow you activate the unlock switch (shouldn't be too difficult to tie into this signal).