2wd tranny into 4wd truck info please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oregonduck22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Hey everyone got a few questions for someone with knowledge on the dodge tranny's in the 97 year and the 2000 year. My truck currently is the 97 with the 5.9 auto. My buddy has a 2000 with the 5.9 Auto but it is 2wd. Mine shifts past 2nd gear so ive been looking at getting it replaced/rebuilt. The tranny is the 2wb truck shifts perfectly. Question got brought up is if the torque converter from mine would bolt up to the 2wd one? If so can you take the back second from the 4wd tranny and bolt it to the back of the 2wd tranny for the transfer case? Was thinking chrysler would of been smart and used alot of the same parts and case members for a few years before switching. Thanks for everyones help in advance, ask away if you need more info.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
If you're asking if you can swap the tailshaft of a 2wd with a transfercase, yes. Only thing you'll run into trans wise is electronics. Torque converter is no different

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Both should be RE46's - electronically controlled governor circuits - so the transmissions and electronics are the same. Torque converters are the same. As to the 2WD - 4WD issue; the "tailshaft" is actually the overdrive unit - the O/D unit bolts to the back of the main case, and interchange - you can take the 2WD O/D unit off and install the 4WD unit. Most of the time it is a simple swap.

BUT.

There is a piston to clutch pack clearance that should be checked to make sure the O/D piston applies properly. I would suggest picking up a manual on how to check this - ATSG makes good ones - or taking the 2wd main case and the 4wd O/D unit to a trans shop so they can check the clearance. They should not need the transfer case, which unbolts from the O/D unit.

Snowmanak406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Sensors could be different so keep the ones from the original truck if different. *Think* the NSS has a different plug on it. As they said clearance of the piston should also be checked. Imo while you are there replace the OD wavy snap ring as well. Common braking part.