3.0 diesel fuel milage drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ed Brock

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 & 2015
Engine
318 & 3.0 Diesel
2015 Laradio LE super cab with 3.0 V6 diesel and 8 spd automatic.
Issue, fuel milage has droped about 4 mpg and motor seems to labor. Anyone have ideas?

Barney556180

Don't need no stinkin' mask...
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What mileage figures you seeing? Driving changed? Any mods? How abruptly did the MPG go down?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Due to the cold weather and switch winterized diesel fuel it's not unheard of to loose a couple of MPG.
Use the block heater to pre-warm the engine, and use the winter front to get the engine up to operating temperatures quicker. I have my smart plug programed to come on about 2-3 hours before I expect to leave and it also looks at the outside air temperature to be below 40°F.

OP
OP
E

Ed Brock

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 & 2015
Engine
318 & 3.0 Diesel
Barney556180 and cradh68,

The milage drop was sudden. No mods, the truck is all stock. The milage drop happened in Oregon going to the LA area. The truck was getting 28 mpg after it was serviced, before service it got 26 mpg. No change in driving habits.

Now to address crash68's question, this changed happened in the mid summer months, 70-90 degrees. The truck lives in the LA area, so the temps don;t drop below 50 degrees at night.

Sorry to take so long to get back to you guys. Just very busy. I do appreacate your help. Any other ideas? Ed

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Tire pressure, air filter, brakes dragging? Did you get the diesel emissions update?

Edit: TFL is pretty reliable This was published in August 2019.

Here's another video about the issue This was from September 2019.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Ed Brock

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 & 2015
Engine
318 & 3.0 Diesel
Dave2018,
I never received a factory diesel emisssion update. Is that good? Are you saying the update hurts MPG? What is the update and you have an update number. (like they do for recalls).

No dragging brakes, truck will easly move in netural after comming to a full stop on a very slight down grade. Tire pressure checked and set on the higher end of the tire range.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I never received a factory diesel emisssion update. Is that good? Are you saying the update hurts MPG? What is the update and you have an update number. (like they do for recalls).

The AEM is the update he's referring to, some people have said their fuel efficiency went down, some stayed the same and other said it went up after this.
https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/eco-diesel-warranty.html

If you bought your truck after 2018, it most likely has been updated.

OP
OP
E

Ed Brock

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 & 2015
Engine
318 & 3.0 Diesel
crash 68,
Truck was bought new in '15. The drop in milage happened while on the road. In California, the dealer did change the fuel filter at my request and sai nothing else was wrong.
Of course, that does not mean that someting is not working correctly.
I'm looking up the link you sent me. Thanks, Ed

OP
OP
E

Ed Brock

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 & 2015
Engine
318 & 3.0 Diesel
I'm so happy with myself. I found the like and how to get into it.
Thanks folks. From a dinosouar.

OP
OP
E

Ed Brock

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 & 2015
Engine
318 & 3.0 Diesel
Guys,

I just received a letter from Dodge about the recall money. I called the dealer, they checked thier records and guess what. When I took the truck in to have the fuel filter changed, the dealer preformed the update yall are talking about. Nice if they would have told me.

Question, is there a way to uninstall this factory update? Is there a product like a tuner that will bypass this update. I'm like you, I don't like it, I don't see where making something run like crud and getting worse milage is good for the enviroment.

I degress, sorry. Ed

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Question, is there a way to uninstall this factory update? Is there a product like a tuner that will bypass this update. I'm like you, I don't like it, I don't see where making something run like crud and getting worse milage is good for the enviroment.
Unless you buy a pre-AEM ECM for your truck and change the VIN along with injector calibration codes with AlfaOBD there is no going back.
If you want to keep your truck legit as far as the EPA along with better power and fuel economy than before the AEM, you'll want a GDE tune: https://greendieselengineering.com/product/ram-1500-ds-ecodiesel-compliant-hot-tune/

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Those #$@#%$$ so and so's! Did it behind your back! Well, I'm glad we got to the bottom of it. I guess you are one of those people that would say that the update was a downgrade! hope the money settlement helps.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Too late for this advice to help the OP, but perhaps someone in the future:

If you like the way your vehicle performs then do something to prevent OBD2 connection use before you let a dealer work on it. I use a warning tag tie wrapped around the connector so they can’t plug in without cutting it off. I also insist the service writer put it in writing on the work order no updates are permitted.

Dealer SOP unfortunately is to treat YOUR property like it’s THEIR property and they’ll do software “upgrades” without a second thought or consulting you. Techs aren’t trained to ask, they’re trained to just do it. And unlike other computer systems, there’s no way provided to roll back a bad release.

Tim Szika

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
2015 Laradio LE super cab with 3.0 V6 diesel and 8 spd automatic.
Issue, fuel milage has droped about 4 mpg and motor seems to labor. Anyone have ideas?
I have a 2016 with the 3.0 and had the AEM update done 7 months ago and noticed a huge change in performance/ fuel economy and now 7 months later I just another 3 mpg out of nowhere. No driving changes, weather etc.

I'm averaging 17.3 MPG on an eco diesel..............HELP

Pjwilbricht

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 and 2016
Engine
5.7 Hemi and 3.0 EcoDiesel
The AEM is the update he's referring to, some people have said their fuel efficiency went down, some stayed the same and other said it went up after this.
https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/eco-diesel-warranty.html

If you bought your truck after 2018, it most likely has been updated.
It absolutely caused the mileage to decline. I lost 2-3 instantly. And had to get them to reprogram due to pedal lag. But still best truck I have ever had. Just bought a second RAM 1500 Hemi Longhorn last pm. My college kiddo getting my 2016 EcoDiesel.

But that update (AEM) is for sure going to lower. And I think that when you get service done they will push all/any software updates which may affect the entire truck.