3.0 EcoDiesel Reviews Needed (Real World)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayLuke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
I did tune it which made the driving experience much better, especially towing

JStulting

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodeisel
I purchased my Eco the year in March and I have 24,000 miles on it already. I drive every couple months from California to Arizona and then to Abilene Texas. I have it geared with the factory 3.92 pulling a 16' enclosed trailer. So far so good. Comfortable, sufficient power and the gas mileage at 17mpg towing 4400lbs is fantastic. It has a sweet spot on the highway at 84mph at 29mpg

The only problem I had was the Electric Throttle Control light came on when I was in Tucson AZ. It went into limp mode and the dealership refused to help me saying They were booked till Monday. I was able to get the truck off limp mode by waiting on the road for 30 minutes and continued my trek. Got back home and it was a two minute software update on the truck and that was 15k miles ago.

One thing I hate hate hate about the truck is the throttle response. Way too slow!! Thats my only eye roller.

RAMVANMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Pentastar
I purchased my Eco the year in March and I have 24,000 miles on it already. I drive every couple months from California to Arizona and then to Abilene Texas. I have it geared with the factory 3.92 pulling a 16' enclosed trailer. So far so good. Comfortable, sufficient power and the gas mileage at 17mpg towing 4400lbs is fantastic. It has a sweet spot on the highway at 84mph at 29mpg

The only problem I had was the Electric Throttle Control light came on when I was in Tucson AZ. It went into limp mode and the dealership refused to help me saying They were booked till Monday. I was able to get the truck off limp mode by waiting on the road for 30 minutes and continued my trek. Got back home and it was a two minute software update on the truck and that was 15k miles ago.

One thing I hate hate hate about the truck is the throttle response. Way too slow!! Thats my only eye roller.

I am at about 2200 miles on my 2020 Ecodiesel. Love the truck (coming from 3 Tundras over 20 years). Not as fast but I like the way it goes up hill. I am not a gun-it driver but this truck is plenty fast after the slow start. Tows better than my Tundra. My average mileage has been 25 mpg with highway hitting 29+ and towing around 19 (4500# flatbed no windage). I have had only one tech problem as the auto windshield washer sensor was delivered to me discounnected and was fixed by dealer in a few minutes. I had the dealer installed rear step as it is much stronger than the factory step. With the split doors and air shock lowering the truck when I park, not sure it was needed. I pop it down to use it only cause I paid $500 for it.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
This is a topic of interest to me, as I’m considering a JL to add to the fleet and Ecodiesel fuel economy is a big attraction.
However reliability is paramount as we travel remote areas whenever possible and a tow truck can be hard to find off road or in the Yukon Territory.

BTW has anyone watched the TFL fuel economy comparison between Jeep EcoD vs F150 gas hybrid? I’ll go look for a link.

Last edited:

DarrenMeBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Ford canceled their 6 diesel to go EV. I'm buying the Ecodiesel with big tank as i expect fuel to jump like it did as incentive to go EV. I hope they don't collapse the auto industry like they did last time carrot and stick to buy Hybrid and EV

Rut Row

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
87000 miles on my 2016. Other than the danged recalls, hasn't been in the shop for anything other than normal service.

RobertD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesle
Hi All, I've been poking around these forums a little, but the RAM forums are a bit foreign to me as I'm Jeep guy, (can we be FCA cousins?). I'm barging in today to ask for actual usage reviews on the new 3.0 ecodiesel they're putting in the new Jeep Wrangler and Gladiator. I ask here because there is no clear answer over there. I'm seeing a lot of comments that it's just completely plagued with issues, that it can't be any good if its italian. Hoping to get some real world owners here to give me some honest reviews. To me, it sounds like long drives and working it are the keys to healthy longevity on that engine, not stop light to stop light, mall crawling. My commute 5-6 days a week is 25-35 miles one way, 90% highway, and I would use it as an off roader usually every other weekend.

Let me apologize up front if this isn't kosher, but really looking for actual owners will good mileage on them and get real opinions.

Thanks all in advance for any input.
Well I have a 2016 and my family loves the truck. It's been like out family car. Even my wife loves it. It's been problem free since purchase until last week. We were on vacation and it stranded us, to the tune of $8000. The detail are in another post on this site. So, I want go in to details here.

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I was looking at a 2020 EcoD bighorn...forgot to look at the payload sticker. What is the payload for a crew cab Bighorn 4x4 (5.5 ft bed)?

Johnfox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi All, I've been poking around these forums a little, but the RAM forums are a bit foreign to me as I'm Jeep guy, (can we be FCA cousins?). I'm barging in today to ask for actual usage reviews on the new 3.0 ecodiesel they're putting in the new Jeep Wrangler and Gladiator. I ask here because there is no clear answer over there. I'm seeing a lot of comments that it's just completely plagued with issues, that it can't be any good if its italian. Hoping to get some real world owners here to give me some honest reviews. To me, it sounds like long drives and working it are the keys to healthy longevity on that engine, not stop light to stop light, mall crawling. My commute 5-6 days a week is 25-35 miles one way, 90%

Let me apologize up front if this isn't kosher, but really looking for actual owners will good mileage on them and get real opinions.

Thanks all in advance for any input.
Had 3 ecodiesels, 2 grand Cherokee limiteds and one ram all 2015. 19k miles in on the ram she blew. Long block plus turbo was all replaced. Lost my will to keep her much after the warrantee, sold her recently with 130 k miles and no problems after that. Cherokee’s we’re both fine. Although, they need to be run on the highways often.. anyway, just purchased a new limited Ram with the 5.7 L hemi. Found if I try I get the same if not better mileage than the eco diesel after emissions update.

Last edited:

JHA_

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
EcoDiesel
My 2019 Classic Laramie’s main bearings failed at 10,000 miles, trashing the engine. Waiting on a new one now. I had no problems before this.

70runner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L hemi
2021 Rebel, just past 2K mi, perfect. Got 28+mpg on 1200mi trip from dealer to home (SOCAL). With 33gal tank, one gas stop at 846mi on the odometer. Came from 2014 Tundra 1794. Just as quiet, smooth as the Tundra (also a great truck) with twice the gas mileage.