3.0L Hurricane Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And - Ford planned to make a 6.8 V8. If they do it right, without lifter problems (see: 7.3) or cylinder cutout crap, I would go with them for a 3/4 ton Super Duty.
Ford also had the 6.8L V-10 triton a very torquey engine, problem it liked ejecting spark plugs from their home, with the coil intact, I had a big old dent in my hood, looked like a gremlin was in there because of the lack of threads in the head 3-4 threads if I remember correctly, there was a V-8 ford W the same problem.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Ford also had the 6.8L V-10 triton a very torquey engine, problem it liked ejecting spark plugs from their home, with the coil intact, I had a big old dent in my hood, looked like a gremlin was in there because of the lack of threads in the head 3-4 threads if I remember correctly, there was a V-8 ford W the same problem.

We used them at work for generator engines. Super reliable. Terrible breather design, though. Hung off left side bank in the cold, plugged in freezing, humid conditions, choked off the engine. Had to create a PCV heater for them.

The 5.4 3-valve V8 was the problem, we didn't use those. Once again, great idea, implemented bad. Stuck spark plugs. These naturally aspirated engines prioritized reducing air intake restriction using two intake valves. Engine made some percent more power than a two valve head would have.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
the hemi in my '19 laramie with 3.92 rear end ran great and I got 20 on the highway just about all the time

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Had an Expedition with 5.4. It ate coil packs like Doritos, blew head gaskets @11K miles, which were on national backorder because there were so many doing it, then at @13K catastrophic transmission failure. Those are just the highlights, there was plenty more, and that was in one year of ownership. Never towed, never overheated. Just plain junk.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I'm somewhat enjoying the irony of now the 5.7 is rock solid and reliable because it's being replaced, but any other thread is full of people complaining it's an unreliable and poorly designed engine that destroys cam shafts if you look at it sideways and don't use a voodoo priestess to bless your oil changes.
I noticed that too...