3.0L Hurricane Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exactly my point- a whole different animal..
I predict they will do the same thing with the I-6...
Given that Hurricane is premiering in Jeeps and Rams it likely is already done. If they want to make a different version for use in the upcoming Charger/Challenger replacement they will do so. The "HO" Hurricane is very likely what the 2500 will get as a base engine with its next refresh.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Given that Hurricane is premiering in Jeeps and Rams it likely is already done. If they want to make a different version for use in the upcoming Charger/Challenger replacement they will do so. The "HO" Hurricane is very likely what the 2500 will get as a base engine with its next refresh.

I don't think they'll put the HO in the 2500. If they use a hurricane variant it's tune will be very conservative and designed for low end torque and longevity, just like how they didn't put the SRT 6.4 in it with 485 hp.

2500 customers are not as attracted to peak hp numbers, they want something that can be flogged half to death and still keep running each and every day for years. That's not what the HO is about, it's about delivering peak horsepower.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I don't think they'll put the HO in the 2500. If they use a hurricane variant it's tune will be very conservative and designed for low end torque and longevity, just like how they didn't put the SRT 6.4 in it with 485 hp.

2500 customers are not as attracted to peak hp numbers, they want something that can be flogged half to death and still keep running each and every day for years. That's not what the HO is about, it's about delivering peak horsepower.

Exactly. Peak horsepower and torque for extended periods of time. The HO engines are for short bursts of power. You run a Hellcat at 4000 RPM's for an hour and you won't have a Hellcat engine left.

If they do use the 3.0 in the HD trucks it'll certainly be configured differently. Probably hybrid turbo's that spool up faster for more bottom end, longer intake runners and more conservative tune.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yeah Ram has already said that the 6.4 in the HD trucks isn't going away, for now. My guess, and hopes, are that they'll have a new V8 to replace it. And use sparingly in high performance cars. Like Ford and GM do, so they can stay within their carbon credit limit. That would make the most sense to please their client base. Because I just don't see the enthusiasm over the I6-TT. I'm sure they'll use it in the Daytona, or whatever they're coming out with. But people are going to want a V8. And if they can't get it from a new Mopar product they'll buy used, or go to GM or Ford.

Making the most power isn't always as important as the experience. Ferrari's don't make the most power, but they sure do sound sweet. Listening to that flat plane V8 sing equals smiles. Listening to a Hellcat sing equals smiles. Unless they can make that I6-TT sound like a GTR, I'm not so sure.

Top Fuel Nitromethanol engines make >10,000 hp.

For a 36 second lifespan.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
You run a Hellcat at 4000 RPM's for an hour and you won't have a Hellcat engine left.

You may want to take a look at the durability testing regime Chrysler used on these motors. They survive 24 hour road courses and 500 hour max torque dyno pulls, I think you underestimate them a bit. The Hellcat block is beefed up like the BGE truck block vs the naturally aspirated 6.4L car motor.

Now, going an hour without stopping for fuel is highly unlikely...

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You may want to take a look at the durability testing regime Chrysler used on these motors. They survive 24 hour road courses and 500 hour max torque dyno pulls, I think you underestimate them a bit. The Hellcat block is beefed up like the BGE truck block vs the naturally aspirated 6.4L car motor.

Now, going an hour without stopping for fuel is highly unlikely...
Back in the 70's we had a Plymouth Fury III with a 360 V8 and a Holly 4bbl. I was at a gas station filling up and left the engine running. The attendant came out and said "you can't fill it up that way." I asked him why, thinking he didn't like me leaving the engine running. He said "You will never be able to fill the tank if you leave the engine running'" ;)

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Exactly. Peak horsepower and torque for extended periods of time. The HO engines are for short bursts of power. You run a Hellcat at 4000 RPM's for an hour and you won't have a Hellcat engine left.

If they do use the 3.0 in the HD trucks it'll certainly be configured differently. Probably hybrid turbo's that spool up faster for more bottom end, longer intake runners and more conservative tune.
I'm old enough to remember when trucks ran NA straight 6s and worked the crap out of them...
They stuck 300ci I-6 Fords in F350s- torque was king back then. HP-not so much...

In fact my grandpa had a Flatbed D200 Dodge with 225 slant 6, 2bbl, 3speed w/granny gear and used it as a wood hauler, part time log skidder and towed his heavy clamming boat around with it.
That thing was bulletproof-but I believe I've owned motorcycles that put out as much HP...
No reason they can't build a HD version of the Hurricane.

Last edited:

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess my point is 3.0 liters of spark ignition can only be pushed so far and still be durable.

Then you're into diesel territory. Ecoboosts were flaming out at 70,000 miles and not even worked that hard.

The ecoboosts also don't use forged internals. Cast crank and rods with hypereutectic pistons. As far as I know, from articles, the hurricane engines are all forged internals. That should make them handle boost quiet well. Ecoboosts also used borg warner turbo's, while they're ok, they weren't cooled properly and would poo the bed early in their life.

Time will tell with these hurricane's. I wouldn't be an early adopter, that's for sure. Give them a couple years to work out the American market bugs.

OP
OP
JerryETX

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
Yeah Ram has already said that the 6.4 in the HD trucks isn't going away, for now. My guess, and hopes, are that they'll have a new V8 to replace it. And use sparingly in high performance cars. Like Ford and GM do, so they can stay within their carbon credit limit. That would make the most sense to please their client base.
I don’t think Ram has a choice but to come out with a new engine that produces more power/torque. Ford has the 7.3 which is strong. GM has the 6.6 gas which initially wasn’t much of a factor as far as competition but when they paired it with the new Allison 10-speed it gives the 7.3 a run for its money. My best friend has a 24 GM 6.6 gas and I rode with him pulling a gooseneck trailer with about 9k. Not at all considered a heavy load I get it but the way he was able to pull some pretty steep hills with it was impressive.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don’t think Ram has a choice but to come out with a new engine that produces more power/torque. Ford has the 7.3 which is strong. GM has the 6.6 gas which initially wasn’t much of a factor as far as competition but when they paired it with the new Allison 10-speed it gives the 7.3 a run for its money. My best friend has a 24 GM 6.6 gas and I rode with him pulling a gooseneck trailer with about 9k. Not at all considered a heavy load I get it but the way he was able to pull some pretty steep hills with it was impressive.
Yeah that L8T with 464 ft/lbs and the Allison is a great combo.

Man, I really hope FCA comes out with a 7.0L 426 Hemi. Give us, like, 430-440 HP and 500 ft/lbs to just poo all over the competition, while bringing the rebirth of an icon of an engine.

OP
OP
JerryETX

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Yeah that L8T with 464 ft/lbs and the Allison is a great combo.

Man, I really hope FCA comes out with a 7.0L 426 Hemi. Give us, like, 430-440 HP and 500 ft/lbs to just poo all over the competition, while bringing the rebirth of an icon of an engine.
Yes! And no cylinder deactivation.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
A Lycoming/Continental piston aircraft engine is designed to produce 85% power, 90% of the time it runs. Most car/truck engines are designed to produce 20% power 85% of the time they run. We used to preach this to the experimental aircraft guys who insisted on converting automobile engines to run aircraft. Yea, they worked...But most, not for long. The best conversion to do was to convert a pile of cash into a Lycoming. Seems like some of this wisdom might apply to this turbo vs. displacement debate.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The updated HD trucks are supposed to be revealed tomorrow. Rumor is Hurricane will be confirmed in it as well. Mopar has their whole future riding on this engine. It better live up to the hype.

OP
OP
JerryETX

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
The updated HD trucks are supposed to be revealed tomorrow. Rumor is Hurricane will be confirmed in it as well. Mopar has their whole future riding on this engine. It better live up to the hype.
Interesting no offense but I hope that’s not correct. I’m no engineer but I can’t see a 3.0L engine holding up to HD duty cycles. Sure they can put bigger turbos on the HD’s that can handle the work load but you still have a 3.0L engine.

In my opinion this would be a disastrous move for Ram HD trucks.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm going to guess the 6.4 hemi is still the gas option in the updated truck. 2500's are not subject to the same rules, it's not as much of a problem running the 6.4 there as it is the 5.7 in the 1500. And Ford has the biggest gas engines available, GM has the next largest, Ram already has the smallest I can't see them going even smaller with turbos.

Remember that Ford doesn't use turbos in their super dutys despite a decade+ of experience with them in trucks. That says a lot.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All they need to do is stroke the 392 6.4 to a 426 7.0. We're not talking a massive overhaul here. That'll free up a good bit more low end torque and a few more ponies up top.

There's nothing wrong with the BGE block to where it cannot be improved. Ditch MDS for the HD trucks, there's no need for it.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
All they need to do is stroke the 392 6.4 to a 426 7.0. We're not talking a massive overhaul here. That'll free up a good bit more low end torque and a few more ponies up top.

There's nothing wrong with the BGE block to where it cannot be improved. Ditch MDS for the HD trucks, there's no need for it.

That's actually what Ford did too. The 7.3 and 6.8 in their super duty is the same engine, except the 6.8 has a shorter stroke.

StansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I think the 6.4 I have in my 2022 Ram with 4:10 gears is a great pulling truck. It pulls my travel trailer with no problems, and I get between 7-10 mpg depending on terrain and wind. I do not need the turbos that means something extra to go wrong.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therapywolf