3.0L Hurricane Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
This.

I won't be one putting my money on the line to learn if they are or not, however. I'm more hesitant because 1st generation than because turbo.
That's my take on it. No way I'd be a first model year adopter. Been there, done that, never again.

That being said, Ram must have confidence in these engines if they're not going to have any cross-over years where the 5.7 would still be an option. They're all in, unlike Ford and GM. I guess Toyota also did a straight up switch.

OP
OP
JerryETX

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
I guess I’m considered “old” since I can’t get passed 55k for a mid-range model half ton. That’s near or maybe over a grand a month truck payment.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
The old 2011-2014 ecoboost's were trash. I owned one. I know. Modern ecoboosts are lasting.

You're right. Better sell that 6.4 and go buy you a 1976 D100 with the 318LA. Wouldn't want you getting stranded in the middle of nowhere with that purposely undurable glitzmobile.
You joke- but I've already told my wife that if anything catastrophic happens to my PowerWagon I'm not getting another new truck.
Now that I don't need it for a daily driver I'll buy an older restored pick up (or resto-mod).
I want one anyway but don't have the room or money for 2 trucks I only use occasionally...

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
You joke- but I've already told my wife that if anything catastrophic happens to my PowerWagon I'm not getting another new truck.
Now that I don't need it for a daily driver I'll buy an older restored pick up (or resto-mod).
I want one anyway but don't have the room or money for 2 trucks I only use occasionally...
I'm with you. But I tow a camper and boat all over the east coast. If I ever sell both I'm getting an old Dodge. I can build 318's, 340's and 360's with my eyes closed.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

I did for a few years, though not restored. Just old.

I sold a 1999 F-250 and two motorcycles, bought a 1975 GMC 3/4 ton and put the rest of the cash in a bank, and drove it for two years while saving money for my then-new-2012 Ram. I don't mind driving old trucks, but my wife sure didn't care for it.

RRBen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is this your opinion or have you seen information on this?

I personally agree a 3.0L is a small engine for a heavy duty truck but the output numbers are impressive and I don’t see a big straight six fitting in a 2500.
Like a 6.7.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The output numbers for a top fuel drag engine are impressive, too. 10,000+ horsepower ..... for a 36 second lifespan.

terb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
steam
I'm with you. But I tow a camper and boat all over the east coast. If I ever sell both I'm getting an old Dodge. I can build 318's, 340's and 360's with my eyes closed.
Are you saying that you can get all six pistons in with your eyes closed?

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The point is that no matter what, it's still a reciprocating engine. Power density is the enemy of longevity. Always has been and always will be. A 500hp peterbuilt will have a 15 liter engine. A 500hp ram has a 3 liter. A 1600 hp tug boat will have 68+ liters of engine in it!!!

The good thing is that basically since fuel injection, gas engines typically outlive the vehicle they're put in for light duty use. I'm a fan of the smaller forced induction engines in half ton trucks. The vast overwhelming majority of them don't tow much. The efficiency is much better. I'll reserve judgement on this one for now, but I like the idea a lot.

For an HD truck, gimme a bigass NA V8 and a buncha gears behind it.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
A buddy just bought a new Ford half ton with the 1st of the ecoboost engines, the 3.7 V6.

Notably, that's 20% more displacement than what Stellantis came up with.
Research by both he and I agree Ford had fixed most issues with this engine by 2018, 13 years after introduction. Not a good record.

Also, he doesn't tow much, so it might hold up for awhile. I'm starting to see some 150,000 mile longevity for it finally, instead of the 70,000 mile life it came out with in 2005. He's owned V8s up to now, selling his 5.0 V8 with 200,000 miles.

Yeah, I know MOPAR never fixed Hemi tick and GM never fixed AFM oil pumper, but they didn't have to be that way. The small, boosted Ford engine did. Not too interested in the little Stellantis 3.0L engine in a full size pickup. I'd get the Ford, first.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not too interested in the little Stellantis 3.0L engine in a full size pickup. I'd get the Ford, first.
They should have left things alone the Grand Wagoneer gets the 3.0 HO for a kid hauler grocery getter W 110,000 price tag, WOW where is there logic?

OP
OP
JerryETX

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
A buddy just bought a new Ford half ton with the 1st of the ecoboost engines, the 3.7 V6.

Notably, that's 20% more displacement than what Stellantis came up with.
Research by both he and I agree Ford had fixed most issues with this engine by 2018, 13 years after introduction. Not a good record.

Also, he doesn't tow much, so it might hold up for awhile. I'm starting to see some 150,000 mile longevity for it finally, instead of the 70,000 mile life it came out with in 2005. He's owned V8s up to now, selling his 5.0 V8 with 200,000 miles.

Yeah, I know MOPAR never fixed Hemi tick and GM never fixed AFM oil pumper, but they didn't have to be that way. The small, boosted Ford engine did. Not too interested in the little Stellantis 3.0L engine in a full size pickup. I'd get the Ford, first.
There are millions that would disagree with Ford fixing most of the Ecoboost issues. Ford has so many engines with cam phaser failures they couldn’t afford to do a recall. They did figure out a solution but not until 2020. Also Ford never put out a 3.7L ecoboost at least in trucks that I’m aware of. They put out a 3.5L and a 2.7L in trucks.