3.0L Hurricane Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Boosted made one.
There's a few Hellcat swapped trucks running around,but it's not a cheap swap.A Canadian dealership in Ont actually did the first one way back in 16,the truck has shown up for sale a couple times since they built and sold it,but i've lost track of where it is now,or if it's even running still. Up till Covid a local dealership about 30 miles from me,was swapping 6.4's into trucks and the smaller Jeep,the one that the 3.6 is the big motor in. My local Ford dealer has put whipples on a few of their regular cab shortbox trucks,and will install a whipple on any new 5.0 truck if you have deep enough pockets. There's still the odd dealer that will build one-off vehicles,you just have to find them,and use your big check book,lol

Last edited:

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Boosted made one.
It cost him north of $35k for the swap as well, plus a lot of time making harnesses and chasing down all the quirks that come along with the swap and fixing those. In the end, it's awesome but he warned me that if I ever considered it, to just be prepared.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I say bring back the Magnum 5.9L...
Those things ran into the 200K mark with little more than a tune-up...

True, but they were dogs and sucked gas like a pig. If Chrysler had designed the lube system correctly on Gen III Hemi, we wouldn't have any gripes. Yeah, the exhaust bolts suck, but that's not a destructive loss of vehicle failure. More like nuisance.

They could have made a modern DOHC, but leveraged Hemi legacy for marketing, instead of creating a new legacy. It worked, they sold tons of these things, but it's also too bad because the day has come where they're forced to start over instead of the time of their own choosing. American corporate executives suck.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
True, but they were dogs and sucked gas like a pig. If Chrysler had designed the lube system correctly on Gen III Hemi, we wouldn't have any gripes. Yeah, the exhaust bolts suck, but that's not a destructive loss of vehicle failure. More like nuisance.

They could have made a modern DOHC, but leveraged Hemi legacy for marketing, instead of creating a new legacy. It worked, they sold tons of these things, but it's also too bad because the day has come where they're forced to start over instead of the time of their own choosing. American corporate executives suck.
It bothers me more that they called these new engine's Hemi's. They aren't. They're more of an evolution of the magnum/LA than anything else.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

They started designing this iteration of Hemi back in either 98 or 99 if i remember right,and by then overhead cams were common,so they could of easily got rid of the cam in block design they used,and put a decent set of overhead cam heads on it,and had a hell'va power house engine,that would of bypassed the oiling issues. The 5.7's also started to have more cam/lifter issues after they moved the cam tunnel up farther in 08 to accomodate the VVT system,prior to that there were very few issues in regards to the lifters,although the heads had an issue with dropping valve seats if you overheated the engine.They fixed the valve seat issue,but seemed to have created the cam/lifter issue by moving the cam farther up in the block,putting the cam farther away from crank splash,and further compounding the issue by blocking alot of crank splash to the cam with the VVT tunnel

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
It bothers me more that they called these new engine's Hemi's. They aren't. They're more of an evolution of the magnum/LA than anything else.

Not true. Hemi is a marketing name for a cross flow cylinder head. The first name was crossfire. That didn't catch on, so they tried Hemi, short for hemispherical cylinder head.

Hemispherical shape allows placing valves across from each other to create cross flow air scavenging during valve overlap. The fluid mechanics become pronounced only at high airflow rates, above 5,000 rpm. Hence the Hemi won at NASCAR - Richard Petty #43.

Hemispherical cylinder heads are expensive, so they went to a funky pentagonal shape that is much easier to machine and still keeps valves at cross angle.

How many of you routinely operate your truck above 5,000 rpm? Case closed.

This info is all searchable on the interweb, btw.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
They started designing this iteration of Hemi back in either 98 or 99 if i remember right,and by then overhead cams were common,so they could of easily got rid of the cam in block design they used,and put a decent set of overhead cam heads on it,and had a hell'va power house engine,that would of bypassed the oiling issues. The 5.7's also started to have more cam/lifter issues after they moved the cam tunnel up farther in 08 to accomodate the VVT system,prior to that there were very few issues in regards to the lifters,although the heads had an issue with dropping valve seats if you overheated the engine.They fixed the valve seat issue,but seemed to have created the cam/lifter issue by moving the cam farther up in the block,putting the cam farther away from crank splash,and further compounding the issue by blocking alot of crank splash to the cam with the VVT tunnel

Yup.
Iterative design-by-committee engine, with separate components departments that didn't talk to each other, fixing warranty as you go.

Sounds quite German to me (I'm German ancestry).
What a coincidence Daimer-Benz bought Chrysler (it was no merger like they tried to advertise) in May, 1998. Sold for a loss of billions in 2006. Anyone could see it was a disastrous cultural mismatch, but the arrogant Germans. I remember thinking in '98, this ain't gonna work. And I was just a Senior Engineer then.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
How many of you routinely operate your truck above 5,000 rpm? Case closed.

This info is all searchable on the interweb, btw.
I'm gonna go with the politically correct "no comment" :Big Laugh: :Big Laugh: I watched my wife drive up the street earlier today with our 300C,and not only were the back tires spinning ,i'm pretty sure it was at 5500 when it made the 1-2 shift:rolleyes:
The girl has a heavier foot then me :Big Laugh:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'm gonna go with the politically correct "no comment" :Big Laugh: :Big Laugh: I watched my wife drive up the street earlier today with our 300C,and not only were the back tires spinning ,i'm pretty sure it was at 5500 when it made the 1-2 shift:rolleyes:
The girl has a heavier foot then me :Big Laugh:

I forgot to add the obligatory caveat exemptions for you and yours.

Notably, all the NHRA Top Fuel engines are Hemi's, despite being blown and nitro methanol fueled.
You can see the cross flow valves in the heads in the work bay interviews.

I'm about low end grunt without all the diesel exhaust aftertreatment, like an everyday HD contractor. They're making it impossible to get now.
And no, I don't want a locomotive traction trolley motor with 8 tons of fire hazard batteries.

OP
OP
JerryETX

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
I'm about low end grunt without all the diesel exhaust aftertreatment, like an everyday HD contractor. They're making it impossible to get now.
And no, I don't want a locomotive traction trolley motor with 8 tons of fire hazard batteries.
Bingo! You’re not the only one

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Hi y'all! Just wanted to let you know that I had the misfortune to drive a '23 Wagoneer with the new super engine - the HURRICANE!!!! Yaaaay!
I have 2 Rams. A '13 Tradesman with the 4.7 in a quad cab and a '21 Laramie Sport with the 5.7.
The new super engine took off ALMOST as fast as my '13. And it has 280K miles on it. What a POS TURKEY that thing is. 450HP MY ASS! 4.5HP MAYBE.
By contrast, my '21 took off like a scalded ape and I thought I was going to have to go back and pick my teeth up off the street!
God, I love that 5.7! AND YOU DAMN EUROPEANS NEED TO GO BACK TO EUROPE AND MAKE YOUR LITTLE 4 CYL GO CARTS!

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi y'all! Just wanted to let you know that I had the misfortune to drive a '23 Wagoneer with the new super engine - the HURRICANE!!!! Yaaaay!
I have 2 Rams. A '13 Tradesman with the 4.7 in a quad cab and a '21 Laramie Sport with the 5.7.
The new super engine took off ALMOST as fast as my '13. And it has 280K miles on it. What a POS TURKEY that thing is. 450HP MY ASS! 4.5HP MAYBE.
By contrast, my '21 took off like a scalded ape and I thought I was going to have to go back and pick my teeth up off the street!
God, I love that 5.7! AND YOU DAMN EUROPEANS NEED TO GO BACK TO EUROPE AND MAKE YOUR LITTLE 4 CYL GO CARTS!

The Wagoneer has the standard output 3.0 with 420 HP. Then take in to account tuning for comfort, not raw power.

Go drive the Grand Wagoneer with 510 HP. It's a fat pig of SUV at like 7000 lbs, but it moves. A hell of a lot faster than my 6.4 2500.

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
With the I6 in it? I don't believe it. That engine was a DOG!

It is NOT a hurricane, more like a fart in a whirlwind!

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
The Wagoneer has the standard output 3.0 with 420 HP. Then take in to account tuning for comfort, not raw power.

Go drive the Grand Wagoneer with 510 HP. It's a fat pig of SUV at like 7000 lbs, but it moves. A hell of a lot faster than my 6.4 2500.
My '21 1500 Laramie Sport has the 5.7 Hemi which has only 395HP, yet when I hit the gas, it takes off like a shot. Quite unlike the "Hurricane" I6 with supposedly 420HP.
No matter HOW it's tuned, 420HP SHOULD be able to get up to speed quite a bit faster than the I6 that sort of meanders along until it gets up to speed. 0-60 in 3.7 HRS! YEEHAW!!!

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My '21 1500 Laramie Sport has the 5.7 Hemi which has only 395HP, yet when I hit the gas, it takes off like a shot. Quite unlike the "Hurricane" I6 with supposedly 420HP.
No matter HOW it's tuned, 420HP SHOULD be able to get up to speed quite a bit faster than the I6 that sort of meanders along until it gets up to speed. 0-60 in 3.7 HRS! YEEHAW!!!

You clearly don't understand how torque and horsepower work, curves, tuning. Those numbers mean diddly squat without knowing how they are being applied on a given platform. You also make the assumption that your right foot is in control. It isn't. A multitude of computers are.