3.0L Hurricane Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
The 1500's did receive signifcant updates. They're a true 5th gen though yes the powertrain has remained the same. Cab and bed is completely different on the 1500's, I don't remember off hand about frame/suspension.
DOH, yeah, I was assuming a 2500/3500. The 1500 is definitely the new 5th gen platform.

ISellRams22

TxnRamTrvlr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My '21 1500 Laramie Sport has the 5.7 Hemi which has only 395HP, yet when I hit the gas, it takes off like a shot. Quite unlike the "Hurricane" I6 with supposedly 420HP.
No matter HOW it's tuned, 420HP SHOULD be able to get up to speed quite a bit faster than the I6 that sort of meanders along until it gets up to speed. 0-60 in 3.7 HRS! YEEHAW!!!
Something wasn’t right with the one you drove then. I have the 5.7 in my 2020 ram and it’s fast and I love it but the wagoner Witt the 3.0 is just as fast, it rips for how heavy it is. Everyone who drives them agrees they are very torque driven and pull hard. Don’t know how you felt otherwise ?

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Something wasn’t right with the one you drove then. I have the 5.7 in my 2020 ram and it’s fast and I love it but the wagoner Witt the 3.0 is just as fast, it rips for how heavy it is. Everyone who drives them agrees they are very torque driven and pull hard. Don’t know how you felt otherwise ?
I agree. I test drove a Grand Wagoneer with the HO 3.0 and it MOVES. It's almost as heavy as my 6.4 2500 and is considerably faster. These new engines are impressive.

Yeah, they don't sound as good, but they have the beans.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree. I test drove a Grand Wagoneer with the HO 3.0 and it MOVES. It's almost as heavy as my 6.4 2500 and is considerably faster. These new engines are impressive.

Yeah, they don't sound as good, but they have the beans.

The Hurricane in Grand Wagoneer is putting down 0-60 times in the mid 5 second range. I'm betting Hurricane is being underrated by Mopar. We know the new TRX is testing with one, and given Mopar's reputation is built on horsepower it won't be any slower than the outgoing Hellcat engine.

What's really going to be fun is the new Chargers and Challengers hitting the streets in '26 with these engines under the hood. No it doesn't sound like a V8, but the folks driving BMWs and Supras don't care.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
How's the durability for a small displacement, high pressure engine that's not a diesel? If people don't want 100,000 miles+, it's fine. Ask Ford Ecoboost owners.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How's the durability for a small displacement, high pressure engine that's not a diesel? If people don't want 100,000 miles+, it's fine. Ask Ford Ecoboost owners.
Why you always get the extended warranty. People will be financing these trucks for 6, 7, 8 years... better do the smart thing and make sure you are covered in case of catastrophe.

Realistically they'd better be pretty darn durable. Stellantis has pinned its reputation for the next two to four years on this engine since there will not be a V8 to replace Hemi in any new versions of vehicles where it is currently used. Ram, Durango, Charger/Challenger/300, Jeeps, etc. It's going to be spread over the entire North American lineup of vehicles, just like Hemi was. If it turns out to be garbage it could sink the entire company.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The Hurricane in Grand Wagoneer is putting down 0-60 times in the mid 5 second range. I'm betting Hurricane is being underrated by Mopar. We know the new TRX is testing with one, and given Mopar's reputation is built on horsepower it won't be any slower than the outgoing Hellcat engine.

What's really going to be fun is the new Chargers and Challengers hitting the streets in '26 with these engines under the hood. No it doesn't sound like a V8, but the folks driving BMWs and Supras don't care.
Why is sound so important to some owners? I don't care what it 'sounds' like, as long as it's QUIET!

what I really want is reliability, and MORE POWER!

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Why you always get the extended warranty. People will be financing these trucks for 6, 7, 8 years... better do the smart thing and make sure you are covered in case of catastrophe.

Realistically they'd better be pretty darn durable. Stellantis has pinned its reputation for the next two to four years on this engine since there will not be a V8 to replace Hemi in any new versions of vehicles where it is currently used. Ram, Durango, Charger/Challenger/300, Jeeps, etc. It's going to be spread over the entire North American lineup of vehicles, just like Hemi was. If it turns out to be garbage it could sink the entire company.

What you're doing, is "hoping". We have 1.5 decades of pentastar, hemi, and ecodiesel issues which are higher than industry standard. I haven't followed their smaller engines but the little "tiger shark" the hurricane is based on doesn't seem to have the best reputation either.

Even the cummins, they managed to mess that up for 2 years with a bad fuel pump, despite knowing the issues with it (GM had to drop it way back in 2015 or somewhere around there).

I will help you hope, but realistically the first adopters are going to have issues. We will see 5 years down the road but at that point, if I need a replacement half ton I'll be in a GM enjoying my new v8.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Why is sound so important to some owners? I don't care what it 'sounds' like, as long as it's QUIET!

what I really want is reliability, and MORE POWER!

Some people buy an appliance vehicle. Some people buy an experience vehicle. Enthusiasts are strongly in the second camp, and the sound is part of the overall experience and aesthetics of the experience.

If you're buying an Accord to go back and forth to work in, you probably don't care. If you're buying a sports car to play on the curvy roads with, you probably do.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some people buy an appliance vehicle. Some people buy an experience vehicle. Enthusiasts are strongly in the second camp, and the sound is part of the overall experience and aesthetics of the experience.

If you're buying an Accord to go back and forth to work in, you probably don't care. If you're buying a sports car to play on the curvy roads with, you probably do.
The generation of younger drivers came of age fantasizing about Supras and Skylines, not Mustangs and Camaros. Boosted fours and sixes are more desirable to them than high displacement V8's.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
The generation of younger drivers came of age fantasizing about Supras and Skylines, not Mustangs and Camaros. Boosted fours and sixes are more desirable to them than high displacement V8's.

I responded to the question of why people care about sound. Younger drivers don't tinker with the exhaust? Right.

Doesn't matter if they are into tuner imports or American iron. FWIW, my son and his friends run the gamut from turbo Audis to Mustangs to bro-dozer diesels and lust after C7 Corvettes pretty universally. Not sure why the C7, but it seems to be the 'cool one' for them.

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Everyone that responded that something was was wrong with the Wagoneer I drove is absolutely right. It has a **** poor excuse for a motor in it. I drove a WAGONEER, not a GRAND WAGONEER. The single turbo was like driving my old '94 Dakota with the 4 cyl. So much power you had to shut off the AC to drive 70. Chrysler has ALWAYS had ****** 4 cyl engines except for the Mitsubishi ones. I drove a friends 4 cyl Caravan when they first came out and it felt stronger than the Hiccupcane. It was the cheap engine. Don't know about the HO engine, and don't care. I don't like turbos. One grain of sand gets past the filter and it's toast!

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Everyone that responded that something was was wrong with the Wagoneer I drove is absolutely right. It has a **** poor excuse for a motor in it. I drove a WAGONEER, not a GRAND WAGONEER. The single turbo was like driving my old '94 Dakota with the 4 cyl. So much power you had to shut off the AC to drive 70. Chrysler has ALWAYS had ****** 4 cyl engines except for the Mitsubishi ones. I drove a friends 4 cyl Caravan when they first came out and it felt stronger than the Hiccupcane. It was the cheap engine. Don't know about the HO engine, and don't care. I don't like turbos. One grain of sand gets past the filter and it's toast!
What are you rambling about? The optional engine in the Wagoneer is the standard output 3.0 I6-TT. Twin turbo, and it puts out 420 HP.

Now, it might feel slow because it's a 6000 lb vehicle. Pretty much 1000-1500 lbs heavier than a 1500.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
femu4akwa6snvyvl0dgto3&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everyone that responded that something was was wrong with the Wagoneer I drove is absolutely right. It has a **** poor excuse for a motor in it. I drove a WAGONEER, not a GRAND WAGONEER.
What are you smoking? The Wagoneer has two engine options, 5.7 Hemi and the "standard" Hurricane, which is twin turbo 420hp. Motortrend got a 5.5 second 0-60 out of a regular Wagoneer L with the Hurricane. Very impressive for a 6200lb vehicle.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know where some people pull their nonsense from. But, it's amusing, to say the least.

The Grand Wagoneer I drove with the HO 3.0 I6-TT was pretty fast. For a 6600 lb vehicle it moved. I kinda wish they'd put that engine in the 2500. It's probably not rated for that kind of duty cycle though.

It'll be cool once these engines start hitting the secondary market, junk yards in wrecks, and what not. They'll make for some interesting swaps. Squeeze one in a Wrangler or Dakota.

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
All I can say is the damned thing was SLOOOOOW to get to 60. I have a 5.7 and when I push the pedal, it takes off. And all it has is 395HP. This turkey is supposed to have 420 horses...they must all be qudraplegic. Not gonna talk about HO, but SO is is a POS engine. Jeep was real nice, but I think the ORIGINAL Willys had more get up and go.
Y'all have your opinions. I have mine. And mine is if they expect me to buy another RAM, it better have a HEMI or at least a V8.

And Rainman, the FUTURE options per many sources is Wagoneer has go kart motor I6 Hiccupcane, and GRAND Wagoneer will have the HO. All you have to do to get moving is wait for the hamster in the turbo to wake up and start running to provide the boost the anemic 6 cyl enough to get it moving.

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
If the damned thing weighs 3 TONS why the HELL are you putting a 6cyl in it. It takes fuel to make power. And it takes A LOT of power to move 3 TONS.

I guess if you're a guy who doesn't care about getting up to speed, it's ok. But for me... I'm all about getting there faster.

Looks like I'm gonna have to try to get a crate engine for backup in case my HEMI dies of old age and I'm still kicking.

I'm 71, so that won't be THAT long.