3.0L Hurricane Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It'll be cool once these engines start hitting the secondary market, junk yards in wrecks, and what not. They'll make for some interesting swaps. Squeeze one in a Wrangler or Dakota
Supposedly Hurricane was designed to fit in any Mopar powered by Pentastar or Hemi. The new Challenger and Charger will surely have it. I'm more curious now what the Pentastar replacement will be... assuming it will be the turbo four currently in Hornet.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
If the damned thing weighs 3 TONS why the HELL are you putting a 6cyl in it. It takes fuel to make power. And it takes A LOT of power to move 3 TONS.

I guess if you're a guy who doesn't care about getting up to speed, it's ok. But for me... I'm all about getting there faster.

Looks like I'm gonna have to try to get a crate engine for backup in case my HEMI dies of old age and I'm still kicking.

I'm 71, so that won't be THAT long.

You do realize that applying boost means you need more fuel? More air, more fuel equals more power. Always. The number of cylinders has nothing to do with it. Even displacement has nothing to do with it when it comes to boost. Just look at Formula 1 using a 1.6 liter supercharged V6 producing over 1000 HP.

Naturally aspirated V8's have their place. They are more efficient under load than anything with forced induction.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I don't know where some people pull their nonsense from. But, it's amusing, to say the least.

The Grand Wagoneer I drove with the HO 3.0 I6-TT was pretty fast. For a 6600 lb vehicle it moved. I kinda wish they'd put that engine in the 2500. It's probably not rated for that kind of duty cycle though.

It'll be cool once these engines start hitting the secondary market, junk yards in wrecks, and what not. They'll make for some interesting swaps. Squeeze one in a Wrangler or Dakota.
There is a whole thread ranting about the intention to replace the 6.2L in the TRX with a Hurricane 3.0L...
The 2500s are probably not far behind..

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a whole thread ranting about the intention to replace the 6.2L in the TRX with a Hurricane 3.0L...
Different workloads. While I'm sure the 3.0 is perfectly fine for punchy bursts of high load it would probably not last very long on sustained high load situations, like towing 10,000 lbs. I could be wrong, it does have all forged internals. It's the high compression that's the issue. Unless it's just way over built, like a diesel that runs on gas. If that's the case then people should be happy, since that would mean there is a metric ton of boost headroom on the engine.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
^^^I agree, but I wouldn't count it out unless it fails miserably in the other platforms...
I'm sure they're already tinkering with a HD duty cycle...
The 6.4 Hemi in my PW is a good motor IMO but the 6.4 Hemi in my Bro-in-Law's Challenger 392 Scatpack is a whole different animal...
And boost is standard fare on diesels anyway so I'm sure the engineers don't see it as a issue...
They'll probably beef up the internals, tune it for less HP and more torque and sell it as an up-priced option to the Hemi...
But what do I know...

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^^I agree, but I wouldn't count it out unless it fails miserably in the other platforms...
I'm sure they're already tinkering with a HD duty cycle...
The 6.4 Hemi in my PW is a good motor IMO but the 6.4 Hemi in my Bro-in-Law's Challenger 392 Scatpack is a whole different animal...
And boost is standard fare on diesels anyway so I'm sure the engineers don't see it as a issue...
They'll probably beef up the internals, tune it for less HP and more torque and sell it as an up-priced option to the Hemi...
But what do I know...
The 6.4 BGE in our trucks is a different engine than the 392 put in cars. We get forged internals, but at a much lower compression ratio, different intake, tuned for low end torque and extended run at higher RPM's. We can park our engines at 4000 RPM's for hours and not hurt it. The 392 would have a pretty short life if you did that. Different intended duty cycles.

We'll have to see what they come up with. As far as I know the 6.4 in HD trucks is staying, at least for the next couple years. I'd like to see them bring back the 7.0L 426 for the HD trucks, like Ford did with their 7.3. Big displacement, simple push rod V8.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The other day I just watched a video from butta da finga or whatever he calls himself on YT, and apparently there is some interesting opinions that a new hemi (or v8) is being developed and could be released very shortly. Hard to make out exactly what he was saying because he slurs a little.

I didn't follow most of the argument all that well, but, the strongest argument there is that (especially) GM's and Ford's v8's are going nowhere, EV's are being slowed, so Ram needs a v8 to remain with the competition.

As for the hurricane, most people seem to be focused on the 0 to 60. OK, when you floor it it gives you a respectable WOT performance, but that's not how I use my truck. Any perceptible lag or feeling of weakness low down or non-linear acceleration is an immediate hard pass.

The hemi/zf is like a good smooth whiskey. Sure other stuff is more potent and gets you wasted quicker, but a smooth whiskey is still king. It's not always about how fast you're getting there.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The other day I just watched a video from butta da finga or whatever he calls himself on YT, and apparently there is some interesting opinions that a new hemi (or v8) is being developed and could be released very shortly. Hard to make out exactly what he was saying because he slurs a little.

I didn't follow most of the argument all that well, but, the strongest argument there is that (especially) GM's and Ford's v8's are going nowhere, EV's are being slowed, so Ram needs a v8 to remain with the competition.

As for the hurricane, most people seem to be focused on the 0 to 60. OK, when you floor it it gives you a respectable WOT performance, but that's not how I use my truck. Any perceptible lag or feeling of weakness low down or non-linear acceleration is an immediate hard pass.

The hemi/zf is like a good smooth whiskey. Sure other stuff is more potent and gets you wasted quicker, but a smooth whiskey is still king. It's not always about how fast you're getting there.
It's really all about the tuning. If you've ever driven a F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost it's an impressive combo. Small turbo's, boost comes on at low RPM's. In the truck they're hitting over 450 ft/lbs at 1700 RPM. It pulls like a diesel. I loved that engine my F150, the rest of the truck not so much.

The downside, there's nothing "Eco" about it. You're always in boost and getting terrible fuel economy. Unless you're extremely light on the throttle. So it's a catch 22. Power down low, terrible fuel economy, power up high, better fuel economy but you're ringing it out to get the power.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It's really all about the tuning. If you've ever driven a F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost it's an impressive combo. Small turbo's, boost comes on at low RPM's. In the truck they're hitting over 450 ft/lbs at 1700 RPM. It pulls like a diesel. I loved that engine my F150, the rest of the truck not so much.

They're not hitting 450 lb/ft unless they're at WOT. People need to stop obsessing over 1 silly metric like peak HP/Torque as it never gives the full story.

But I do agree that poor tuning can make things worse, and I'm not holding my breath.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
They're not hitting 450 lb/ft unless they're at WOT. People need to stop obsessing over 1 silly metric like peak HP/Torque as it never gives the full story.
To carry this fine statement further, that's WOT under a large load...Like up a hill at max towing capacity. The ECM won't allow it to do otherwise. Like my Cummins...Yea, 1075ft/lb at 1400rpm...But only up a grade with 20k lbs behind it, in first gear, at slow speeds. Out of the hole? Half that, maybe...3/4 when it hits thrid gear.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

I can tell you 100% they are doing focus group testing on the concept to check consumer's reaction and willingness to consider it.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To carry this fine statement further, that's WOT under a large load...Like up a hill at max towing capacity. The ECM won't allow it to do otherwise. Like my Cummins...Yea, 1075ft/lb at 1400rpm...But only up a grade with 20k lbs behind it, in first gear, at slow speeds. Out of the hole? Half that, maybe...3/4 when it hits thrid gear.
Torque management is a b.... on everything.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Torque management is a b.... on everything.
Without it you'd just be boiling the tires off.

"Heavy Duty" trucks are held to different emissions standards than regular ones, so I figure the 6.4 HD Hemi will stick around for a little while yet. But yes, it too will eventually go.

The boosted six is likely to be the near future option anyways. I just read where Nissan is dropping the gas V8 in the next-generation Titan and Armada, to be replaced with their own turbo V6.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Without it you'd just be boiling the tires off.

"Heavy Duty" trucks are held to different emissions standards than regular ones, so I figure the 6.4 HD Hemi will stick around for a little while yet. But yes, it too will eventually go.

The boosted six is likely to be the near future option anyways. I just read where Nissan is dropping the gas V8 in the next-generation Titan and Armada, to be replaced with their own turbo V6.
Yeah Ram has already said that the 6.4 in the HD trucks isn't going away, for now. My guess, and hopes, are that they'll have a new V8 to replace it. And use sparingly in high performance cars. Like Ford and GM do, so they can stay within their carbon credit limit. That would make the most sense to please their client base. Because I just don't see the enthusiasm over the I6-TT. I'm sure they'll use it in the Daytona, or whatever they're coming out with. But people are going to want a V8. And if they can't get it from a new Mopar product they'll buy used, or go to GM or Ford.

Making the most power isn't always as important as the experience. Ferrari's don't make the most power, but they sure do sound sweet. Listening to that flat plane V8 sing equals smiles. Listening to a Hellcat sing equals smiles. Unless they can make that I6-TT sound like a GTR, I'm not so sure.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Making the most power isn't always as important as the experience. Ferrari's don't make the most power, but they sure do sound sweet. Listening to that flat plane V8 sing equals smiles. Listening to a Hellcat sing equals smiles. Unless they can make that I6-TT sound like a GTR, I'm not so sure.
Enthusiasts don't buy as many cars as regular people do... and regular people don't care about sound. Mopar has had a lot of success spreading the Hemi around "performance" versions of their cars, but they sell ten base models for every V8.

Being a three liter twin turbo straight six I imagine Hurricane will sound a lot like a Bimmer when it is uncorked. It's not a V8 sound, but some people like it. I'll probably go test drive a Ram 1500 with it next year just to see what all the fuss is about. Doubt I'll bite because my 2019 Classic is all the truck we need for hauling supplies and towing a small trailer and there's nothing wrong with it. Will be interesting to experience the new technology anyways.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
The 6.4 BGE in our trucks is a different engine than the 392 put in cars. We get forged internals, but at a much lower compression ratio, different intake, tuned for low end torque and extended run at higher RPM's. We can park our engines at 4000 RPM's for hours and not hurt it. The 392 would have a pretty short life if you did that. Different intended duty cycles.
Exactly my point- a whole different animal..
I predict they will do the same thing with the I-6...