3.21 gear ratio - anyone actually towing with it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjump

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 8 Speed
With all me searching, I never really asked if anyone was actually towing with the 1500 with 3.21 ratio.

Is there anyone out there, or am I the only bonehead that actually bought one, and wants to tow with it?

THX

Last edited by a moderator:

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
People do all the time- your biggest enemy will be frontal area, but that is manageable if you let the onboard systems and transmission do the work for you. Don't try to outsmart the computer. It knows what it needs to do to keep the engine and transmission in a sweet spot so it is running efficiently without trying to eat itself. Don't expect to be able to launch off the line, let it wind up slowly, and on long climbs concentrate on RPMs not some arbitrary number on the speedometer :)

PicRR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, regularly with my sled trailer which is also used to haul my bikes and crap to the track. Averaging about 3,000 lbs so not high weight but it should give you a starting point with this in mind....it's like it's not even there. Tows so easily and still good mileage.
To help you, trailer is a Triton TC-167.

Added March 2014-Did a couple of trips this winter with 3 sleds, extra fuel cans, all our gear in cold temps and in the snow. Had no issues and was still getting respectable mileage (approx. 17l/100 kms). Guessing was in the area of 4500-5000 lbs.

Diller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins
I have several thousand miles towing a 5500-6000# car trailer and race car. I have never had a problem pulling it and the trans, oil, and coolant temps are always in the safe zone even in 90+ degree weather.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I am sure it must downshift a lot as 3.55's do and these are even higher gears.

$miley

RAMBOSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I too want to know about this topic as well as MPG between this gear and the 3:92 because I will be purchasing one soon with the 8 speed

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you tow anything boat size and up you would be crazy not to get a 3.92 IMO.

Lobster Poutine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have the 3:21 and intend to tow a travel trailer...i too wanted the 3:92, but i wasnt willing to wait to order the truck. i found the one i wanted 3:21 with the the towing package.

whats interesting though, it bothered me that it didn't have the 3:92, but it does have the towing package. to me, if the 3:92 was a necessity, not a nicety, for towing, that it would come standard with the towing package.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You "can" tow with it, but try towing with a 3.92 or better and you will understand. Better control from start to finish at any speed, also means way less wear on the truck.

Diller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins
I am sure it must downshift a lot as 3.55's do and these are even higher gears.

$miley

When towing, I keep the speed between 65 and 70. In tow/haul mode it really doesn't down shift all that often. I guess I must be "crazy" for towing with the 3.21s but some people make it out like I am trying to tow with a Smart car or something. The 3.21s are plenty capable to tow within the manufacturer's recommendations. Sure there will be more wear and tear if you are towing over the limits but that isn't the issue here.

OP
OP
J

jjump

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 8 Speed
For me, the frustrating part is that I went into the dealership with towing on my mind, I knew I wanted, at least, a nice lightweight travel trailer, I also knew I would "like" to have a toy hauler, and I can't say for sure that salesman will deliberately deceive, but mine knew I towed an open trailer currently with my GMC Sierra, and also knew I was there because I chose the Ram for it's greater towing capabilities.

Having said that, they never once mentioned to me that if that is the case, I should choose the 3.92 gear range, that the 3.21 would be limiting.

Again, frustration, but also partly my own fault to blame, had I joined this forum 2 weeks earlier, I would have known all of this. Maybe the salesman really just didn't know.

With that being said, I cannot find any toy haulers, with at least one queen/double bed, and two flip down beds/couches for the kids, that fall into my GCWR that the 3.21's have, which is anywhere from 6900-7400 based on tongue weights.

I am going to get one anyways, and just not load it fully, and if I feel that tge gears will need changed, I will fork out the money, or better yet, use it as a down payment and just get a new truck with the 3.92's. It sucks to have to go through that.

I did however write and send a strongly worded letter to the dealership, and I am thinking of sending it to Dodge about this issue, to see if I can at least luck out and get the gearing updated.

So far, the leader is a Grey Wolf 21RR, dry hitch of 693 ( I used 1000 as a guide on the slider tool), 4337 dry weight, plus 2000 for quads, gear, etc, gets me to 6400 roughly.

I am hoping the 3.21's have no problem with 6400, which I feel they wont.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
For me, the frustrating part is that I went into the dealership with towing on my mind, I knew I wanted, at least, a nice lightweight travel trailer, I also knew I would "like" to have a toy hauler, and I can't say for sure that salesman will deliberately deceive, but mine knew I towed an open trailer currently with my GMC Sierra, and also knew I was there because I chose the Ram for it's greater towing capabilities.

Having said that, they never once mentioned to me that if that is the case, I should choose the 3.92 gear range, that the 3.21 would be limiting.

Again, frustration, but also partly my own fault to blame, had I joined this forum 2 weeks earlier, I would have known all of this. Maybe the salesman really just didn't know.

With that being said, I cannot find any toy haulers, with at least one queen/double bed, and two flip down beds/couches for the kids, that fall into my GCWR that the 3.21's have, which is anywhere from 6900-7400 based on tongue weights.

I am going to get one anyways, and just not load it fully, and if I feel that tge gears will need changed, I will fork out the money, or better yet, use it as a down payment and just get a new truck with the 3.92's. It sucks to have to go through that.

I did however write and send a strongly worded letter to the dealership, and I am thinking of sending it to Dodge about this issue, to see if I can at least luck out and get the gearing updated.

So far, the leader is a Grey Wolf 21RR, dry hitch of 693 ( I used 1000 as a guide on the slider tool), 4337 dry weight, plus 2000 for quads, gear, etc, gets me to 6400 roughly.

I am hoping the 3.21's have no problem with 6400, which I feel they wont.

Enjoy it man! I think you have the 8 speed working in your favor. Just drive her and let the computers do the work. I bet you'll be surprised.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agreed. At 21' and 6400lbs you should be comfortable.
For peace of mind you could record trans, oil and engine temps while driving at highway speeds empty and then again while towing to see how hard everything is working. I was pleasantly shocked to see mine were almost exactly the same; these trucks are tough!

OP
OP
J

jjump

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 8 Speed
27 footer I believe, but hey....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Huh- weird naming convention on the 21RR.
27' is getting as long as you'd want to tow with a half-ton, but that is a length discussion, not weight. We got talked in to an ultra lightweight 32'. Never considered length because its so far under our max. Now every gust of wind and passing vehicle is a potential white knuckler because it presents SO much side area.
Just food for thought.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
.....I am going to get one anyways, and just not load it fully, and if I feel that tge gears will need changed, I will fork out the money, or better yet, use it as a down payment and just get a new truck with the 3.92's. .....

Like others have said... these are very capable trucks. You have put a lot of thought into this and with smart loading you should have little problems pulling the Grey Wolf you have selected.

BTW... be careful if you go looking for a 1500 with 3.92s... I did that that and ended up coming home with a 2500 cause I got a better price...:Big Laugh:

OP
OP
J

jjump

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 8 Speed
I was shooting for 24' - 26', but not too many options in that range that have 2 couches/bunks.

I thought about the smaller 19rr, and building some sort of bunk beds

StPat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Huh- weird naming convention on the 21RR.
27' is getting as long as you'd want to tow with a half-ton, but that is a length discussion, not weight. We got talked in to an ultra lightweight 32'. Never considered length because its so far under our max. Now every gust of wind and passing vehicle is a potential white knuckler because it presents SO much side area.
Just food for thought.

I agree. I figured bumper to ball it would be about 25'. I am wondering if the add the length with the ramp door down on toy haulers?

OP
OP
J

jjump

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 8 Speed
Hmmmm, makes sense.