3.21 to 4.10 -- The continuing saga

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stateofdade

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So I'm for sure going to pull the trigger and install a 4.10 (very much considering a LSD at the same time) and my wife thinks that I'm wasting my money. I haul a large camper and we live in hill/mountain country and this would be a big upgrade. How in the world do I explain that I'm not just blowing cash on something like headlights or pin stripes? That's pretty much what she considers it to be.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Not sure how but your right.
Truck will pull better ,easier and get better mileage doing it.
Might last longer as well.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IDK< Big Large Camper??? 2500??? just a saying U up in the hills and not flat........

ADDED: Give Momma yer truck and get U a 2500??? LOL. U can always hope...............

OP
OP
stateofdade

stateofdade

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
IDK< Big Large Camper??? 2500??? just a saying U up in the hills and not flat........

ADDED: Give Momma yer truck and get U a 2500??? LOL. U can always hope...............

I attempted this. LOL...she just got a 19 Kia Sedona.

This 1500 pulls really well, but I know swapping out the rear-end will make a world of difference. In about 4-5 years I'll upgrade to a 3500 DRW.

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am not sure but I have been told that even if you do mods to your truck so it can tow more and you get into a accident the police will fine you for unsafe towing they use the sticker that states the maximum tow capacity. I too have a 3:21 and wish it was better

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I am not sure but I have been told that even if you do mods to your truck so it can tow more and you get into a accident the police will fine you for unsafe towing they use the sticker that states the maximum tow capacity.

There is a maximum tow capacity listed on a sticker?
That's a new one..(not really but there is no sarcasm font).
There is one that list GAWRs and the GVWR but you won't find a GCWR on the truck. That sticker also has the vehicle VIN along with the tire size w/running air pressure, the other yellow "payload rating" sticker is a recommendation. The vehicle GCWR is determined by either the weight classification of the vehicle or what you have plated the vehicle for(Elected Gross Weight Rating), this is based upon the state the vehicle is registered in.
The police aren't going to fine you for being overweight if you get into an accident, it will be for failure to maintain control the vehicle. That could happen towing a 500lbs utility trailer or not towing anything at all.

OP
OP
stateofdade

stateofdade

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I am not sure but I have been told that even if you do mods to your truck so it can tow more and you get into a accident the police will fine you for unsafe towing they use the sticker that states the maximum tow capacity. I too have a 3:21 and wish it was better

That would be true if I exceeded my truck's capacity. With a different gear ratio, I'll simply inform my insurance company of the change. It's notated in the file. I never tow more than I'm rated for anyway.

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is a maximum tow capacity listed on a sticker?
That's a new one..(not really but there is no sarcasm font).
There is one that list GAWRs and the GVWR but you won't find a GCWR on the truck. That sticker also has the vehicle VIN along with the tire size w/running air pressure, the other yellow "payload rating" sticker is a recommendation. The vehicle GCWR is determined by either the weight classification of the vehicle or what you have plated the vehicle for(Elected Gross Weight Rating), this is based upon the state the vehicle is registered in.
The police aren't going to fine you for being overweight if you get into an accident, it will be for failure to maintain control the vehicle. That could happen towing a 500lbs utility trailer or not towing anything at all.
I live in Ontario Canada and things are different If you tow more then 10141 lbs you need a different licence as well the door sticker on my door is (Gcwr). Which is the gross weight including cargo passenger and trailer weight

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
.....This 1500 pulls really well, but I know swapping out the rear-end will make a world of difference. In about 4-5 years I'll upgrade to a 3500 DRW.

Would you be better off to just trade now and apply the cost of re-gearing/limited slip to the 3500 purchase?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I live in Ontario Canada and things are different If you tow more then 10141 lbs you need a different licence as well the door sticker on my door is (Gcwr). Which is the gross weight including cargo passenger and trailer weight
Post up a picture of the VIN door tag, it would be interesting to see the difference with a Canadian VIN tag.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Would you be better off to just trade now and apply the cost of re-gearing/limited slip to the 3500 purchase?

Have you seen the prices of these trucks lately!?! You have a 2018 so I am assuming yes. I was in at the dealership getting some recall work done & could not believe how much they had gone up since I got mine in 2016. On the floor they had a 1500 that was pretty much at the same trim level as my Outdoorsman & it was $5,000 more than what I paid for mine! A mid level 1500 $5,000 more than my well equipped 2500!
I am needing a little more pulling power as the OP, so instead of dropping an easy $60,000 for a new diesel 2500, I am going to re-gear mine to 4.56. Should be plenty to pull our new addition... a 13,500lb. 5th wheel.

OP
OP
stateofdade

stateofdade

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7

Just took another note on a new van. We're going to pay the new van off in the next 3 years. I figure by that time I'll trade in on the DRW. Right now I'll pretty much break even on my truck and that doesn't include my additions to the package. I'd be in the hole by a couple grand. Would rather just get a few more years of great service before upgrading. I'll have have 2 of my 4 kids out of the house (hopefully).

OP
OP
stateofdade

stateofdade

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Have you seen the prices of these trucks lately!?! You have a 2018 so I am assuming yes. I was in at the dealership getting some recall work done & could not believe how much they had gone up since I got mine in 2016. On the floor they had a 1500 that was pretty much at the same trim level as my Outdoorsman & it was $5,000 more than what I paid for mine! A mid level 1500 $5,000 more than my well equipped 2500!
I am needing a little more pulling power as the OP, so instead of dropping an easy $60,000 for a new diesel 2500, I am going to re-gear mine to 4.56. Should be plenty to pull our new addition... a 13,500lb. 5th wheel.

Yeah, it's crazy what these things cost. I figure I'd be on the top side of things by investing 1200-1400 into a re-geared rearend with a LSD as mine is a 2WD. It will very much make my pulls more easy to handle and increase my tow/haul capacity by another 2k easy in terms of safety.

Still looking for a calculator to determine how much hypothetical weight I can handle over a 3.92 with a 4.10.

Last edited:
OP
OP
stateofdade

stateofdade

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Just spoke to Moe's and got fantastic information about the differences of the transmissions vs. gear ratios. I'll definitely be going with the 4.10 and the mopar LSD. Very excited to get concrete information.