3.55 gear ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Gotcha... So not even up but a little nose down right?

Whether a trailer is riding nose up or nose down really has little to do with how the trailer is loaded. I can load a trailer very heavy in the front and if my receiver is high, the trailer will have its nose up. Similarly, you can load the ass end of a trailer full of anvils and attach it to a low rider 2WD truck and it's going to ride nose low.

There is some decent info in this thread but a lot of incomplete or partially accurate responses as well. OP, do yourself a favor and get your stuff setup right by someone who knows what they are doing. Taking advice from a bunch of folks on the internet who can't see or touch your setup is not a good place to start. I know everyone here is just trying to help and there is a lot of good info. Without being able to see and touch the equipment it's really hard to talk someone through doing it right.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There is some decent info in this thread but a lot of incomplete or partially accurate responses as well. OP, do yourself a favor and get your stuff setup right by someone who knows what they are doing. Taking advice from a bunch of folks on the internet who can't see or touch your setup is not a good place to start.
I'll agree about getting it set up correctly but there is a lot of good information that can be had on this forum.
@Russell44 read through some posts by VernDiesel, he probably has more miles towing heavy with his '14 1500 than most people on this forum have just drove their truck, His odometer is over the 500K mile mark most of which are towing. He gives a pretty detailed instructions on what weights and percentages need to be on the tongue and axles.
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/looking-at-the-numbers.123099/

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are right. What we gave you are snippets of advice. No amount of reading beats someone showing you in person. Go to a local RV dealer and ask if they can help you. There are many factors to consider when towing. Is the weight you stated dry or loaded? If it's dry most people add about a 1000lbs worth of stuff into their trailer. That affects your tongue weight. What is your weight distribution hitch rated at? An example is I use an Equalizer 4 point sway control and weight distribution hitch. My model is rated for 10k with a tongue of 1k. My old one was rated for 6k with a 600 tongue. Is yours sized properly? One size does not fit all. If you have any questions about your set up have your rig checked out in person by someone who knows what they are doing. You'll be thankful you did.

Last edited:

RayL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You should be fine with the 3.55 rear end. I have a 2016 Crew cab 1500 with the 5.7. In order to get good mileage when not towing, I ordered the truck specifically with a 3.21 rear end. However, I also tow a 7500 TT, so I use the transmission gears intelligently, by using max 7th on level ground or max 6th in hill country. It has proved to be an excellent choice. I get 21.5 mph at 70 mph when not towing and about 10.5 when towing.

Dennis Tracy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7HEMI
We are going from Niagara Falls Canada to Nova Scotia ... Any suggestions for a best route? Least amounts of hilly drive lol
I don't know the name, but there is a phone app that is specifically for towing. It shows the best towing routes, best gas stations for pulling in and out etc. This app was listed as one of the "Ten Top Apps to Have for Towing". Have a great trip.

OP
OP
Russell44

Russell44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thinking of changing my 3.55 gear ratio to 3.92 and get better towing capability with 5 gears...Is that true?

fivestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I don't know the name, but there is a phone app that is specifically for towing. It shows the best towing routes, best gas stations for pulling in and out etc. This app was listed as one of the "Ten Top Apps to Have for Towing". Have a great trip.
Any ideas on the name of this app? Ive looked around and cant find anything that seems to fit what you're mentioning.

Thanks!

renfrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just did a 2200 mile trip towing my car 2010 with 3:55 gear. 67-70 mph and it was about 1800-2000 rpm. 6000 lbs and gas mileage SUCKED. 9.8-13.5 average depending on how hilly it was. Truck pulled it no problem but boy bring your wallet cause your gonna spend some $ on gas. 2200 for me was about $600 in gas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Russell44

Russell44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Kinda expected the gas issue... My main concern is the gearing.... I have a 275/55R20 tires and wondered if I'll be better off changing the gear 3.55 and go up to 3.92 or more

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
If you wanna go all out for towing. just got with a 4.10.

I towed a car crammed with junk on a uhaul trailor, with the bed also full with junk. Must've weighed a good amount for sure.

From texas to colorado. Once we got up to Raton pass, sure gas mileage sucked. But my truck handled it fine with 3.55, just left it in tow haul mode, and kept the selector in 5th gear

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
Kinda expected the gas issue... My main concern is the gearing.... I have a 275/55R20 tires and wondered if I'll be better off changing the gear 3.55 and go up to 3.92 or more

Yes, going with the 3.92 gearing will help a lot. Or 4.10 as mentioned above. I have 3.92 in my truck and it tows my 8,000 pound trailer easily.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
I'd say this was loaded pretty good. Wouldn't recommend filling the tow car with junk though lol20190215_153545.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Russell44

Russell44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ok many thanks .. My travel trailer is 24 ft and weigh 5,000 pounds dry.... Probably a good idea to go 4.10 gear. Thank you for your help