3.6 Pentastar Issues Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
First time buyer of a mopar vehicle. 2014 Dodge Durango with 60K on it.
Now it has 120K with regular maintenance applied. Loved the way it drives and operates.
Developed a rocker ticking in bank one. Scheduled a diagnostic, at a Chrysler Dealership.
Had I known this issue was a common problem with 3.6 engines.
I would not have bought this or any other Chrysler until this defective issue was resolved.
Did I slip into an alternate universe?

A Durango complaint on a Ram forum.

A 2014 engine complaint on an engine that's had multiple upgrades and improvements in the NINE YEARS since it was built.

A complaint on a vehicle that had 60,000 miles of UKNOWN maintenance before you purchased it and now has 120,000.

What's your angle Bojangle?

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dude, dosent matter what vehicle its in, Penstars are hot garbage. Heck they tick even more than a HEMI. lol...

Whats next, your gonna tell me I cant say that because mine is in a JK.... lol...

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dude, dosent matter what vehicle its in, Penstars are hot garbage. Heck they tick even more than a HEMI. lol...

Whats next, your gonna tell me I cant say that because mine is in a JK.... lol...
If he's mad about a Durango comment he for sure shouldn't read the "oil" thread

fireman0127

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6l V6
2016 SLT 1500 3.6 85k miles, found metal shavings in oil filter, ticking noise started so I quit driving it. From all the research I've done in the last few weeks it is a fairly common problem on the pre-2019 pentastar V6 motors in Jeep, Ram, Chrysler, etc.. I'm just looking for the most cost effective and best quality replacement parts for my engine and any pertinent advice or recommendations while I have the engine top torn apart. :) There's also an aftermarket manufacturer that makes a spin on oil filter conversion with a check valve so the oil doesn't drain down to the pan and cause a dry start condition for a few seconds. Dorman makes a nice all aluminum oil filter/cooler housing for these motors also.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:mad::mad: Replacing my head gaskets at 79k
Ex 40 yr dodge tech, went to my old dealership to borrow a torque angle wrench.
Shop foreman told me they are having a lot of issues with blown 3.6l head gaskets.
[mostly engine replacments]
If your truck is boiling over in overflow tank you have this problem.
Working outside on it in pa in December blows.
Will update after together if head gaskets fixed or if i have cracked head or block.
Did you get it fixed? I believe most of the head gasket complaints are on the pacifica vans and it does not seem common here. The forum for that van and Facebook group are full of that issue. The van does have a newer version of the pentastar than the 4gen trucks. Fwiw we have a pacifica van with 90k miles and no engine issues to date.

moto-scoot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
Yes it is fixed put 80 miles on it so far. Thanks to the 50 degree weather.
Fixed with $100 worth of gaskets. Probably a 20 hour labor charge if you cant do it yourself.
Ex chrysler dodge jeep tech lots of experience working on these engines.

79,500 miles
900 hours idle time

right [passenger] side was blown. left side looked like it was not that far behind
All cams and rockers good still, my 16 had the new style rockers on it.

Last edited:

fireman0127

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6l V6
The only 3.6 that I have is in my 2012 Wrangler. It's the version of 3.6 with the cylinder head issues. I've got 48K on it right now (I don't drive the Wrangler every day). Jeep did extend the cylinder head warranty on it to 10 years or 150K, but I still haven't needed a new cylinder head. Mind you, it does have "the tick" but still hasn't thrown any codes. The only non-recall issues that I've had with the vehicle are the obligatory axle seals and that my thermostat stuck open about 9 months ago.

I do notice that it's been running just a tad warmer than it did when I got it (about 1 or 2 needle widths warmer on the gauge - haven't checked the actual temps since the 2012 didn't have the fancy-schmancy instrument clusters that provide all that info and I don't feel like driving around with my laptop on the seat next to me and plugged into the OBD port).

I did a cooling system flush/fill at 5 years and again when I replaced the thermostat and used the proper coolant (in the case of the 2012s, it's HOAT). It does seem to lose just a bit of coolant over a longer period of time, but it's not in the oil and it's not leaking out anywhere -- or at least enough to leave a puddle. I don't see any symptoms of a warped head/burning coolant either.

My next step is to replace the radiator. Overall, it's not really that big of a deal as it's never overheated, even going up long hills in 95-degree weather. Still, I'm curious whether it's related to the head issue or the oil cooler issue (or even a failing temp sensor) and what the ultimate solution could be.
I know this post is old but to all you DIYers who change your oil in the 3.6... Take the old cartridge filter and remove the ends from the paper element and it will open up like an accordion and make closer inspection for shiny metal particles that are trapped in filter paper. (I used a flashlight in a semi-dark room) Best of luck!

moto-scoot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
Yes it is fixed put 80 miles on it so far. Thanks to the 50 degree weather.
Fixed with $100 worth of gaskets. Probably a 20 hour labor charge if you cant do it yourself.
Ex chrysler dodge jeep tech lots of experience working on these engines.

79,500 miles
900 hours idle time

right [passenger] side was blown. left side looked like it was not that far behind
All cams and rockers good still, my 16 had the new style rockers on it.
While i was in there i changed spark plugs. CHAMPION 9407 was an exact match to the ones i removed.
Only $5.26 each on rock auto. I would recommend plugs at 80k instead of 100k. As the plugs wear and widen gap causes coil failure as ignition finds a new path to ground through coil boot.

champion 9407.jpg

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While i was in there i changed spark plugs. CHAMPION 9407 was an exact match to the ones i removed.
Only $5.26 each on rock auto. I would recommend plugs at 80k instead of 100k. As the plugs wear and widen gap causes coil failure as ignition finds a new path to ground through coil boot.

View attachment 534233
I haven't seen Champion spark plugs recommended in a long time for Dodge products, I thought everything was NGK Iridium now.

moto-scoot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
NGK used to be oem in mopar 3.6 i believe 2011-2013
Switched to champion iridium. then maybe back and forth between them.
my oem plugs were the champions pictured, You can go to dealer and pay $21.00 each if you like.
Pull a plug on you 3.6 and check for yourself.
The NGK and Champions both do exactly the same thing with equal reliability.

I worked on these motors at dealership 2011-2022

Last edited:

Fightinbass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L
Here's the rap sheet on my 2018 Tradesman QC4 3.6L, purchased new in august 2018, now at 57,000 miles:
<100 miles - loose front wheel well cover (just needed to be secured)
~15,000 miles - gas tank filling very slow (covered under warranty, dealership replaced)
21,000 miles - collant bypass valve failed (covered under warranty, dealership replaced)
46,000 miles - oil cooler cracked causing oil leak (NOT covered under warranty, had dealership replace with Dorman, told 2 year warranty on new part)

Other than the CBV, these issues were not unexpected
The performance of this vehicle is excellent

Fightinbass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L
In regards to PoMan's post, mine also smells like an old clunker when parked hot, and has since day 1. I'd describe the smell as hot oil with a touch of melted plastic.

Also just noticed my coolant res was empty. Gone are the days shops would top off your fluids when you had work done. Thank you Rick for the suggestions.

ts27330

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6
The wife's 2014 Grand Cherokee has 45,000 on it and the only issue she has had was the oil pressure sensor.

Same problem on my 2014 Laramie 1500 at 40,000 miles (replaced oil pressure sensor), quiet expensive due to location on back side of engine near firewall.

Fightinbass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L
Curious as to what grade gas people used to get their stated performance. I would never buy a truck that required anything over 87 octane. My motor has purred like a kitten idle and run smooth as silk at all speeds on regular unleaded. I average over 20 mpg full year driving in new england with mostly city and lots of short trips. Have gotten over 23 mpg on occasions with more highway.

Oaktownraid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello, here is my list of work. First was a fuel injector then the oil cooler followed by the thermostat. All within few months of each other but Ill live with it. Started at about 75k miles.