3.6 Pentastar Issues Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Just my never to be humble opinion, but 3.21 and 3.55s should be outlawed, and the machinery used to make them, melted down.

If I were in charge, 3.92 would be standard, 4.10 and 4.56 would be an option. The minuscule mpg gain with tall gears is not worth the fun or capabilities you lose.

I put 50K miles on my 2009 hemi with 3.55's towing 8000 lbs. Never had a problem. If you want 3.92's they are available but don't play politician and try to take our choices away.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Probably one of my least favorite things so far. They nested the filter canister under your intake also so you need to use a swivel attachment or remove the air intake/silencer.

I don't need to remove any of the air intake on my 2017 with the Pentastar. I can get at and easily remove the oil filter housing cap and filter with a socket and wrench. I still hate snugging it afterwards. Much prefer the setups where the housing is aluminum and just the cap is plastic.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Just because it's only $12 and some change, I think I'll order a spare cap from Benny my next shipment. Sounds like I'll need it sooner or later and I like spares.

KevinInVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I don't need to remove any of the air intake on my 2017 with the Pentastar. I can get at and easily remove the oil filter housing cap and filter with a socket and wrench. I still hate snugging it afterwards. Much prefer the setups where the housing is aluminum and just the cap is plastic.

I may just not have the right combination of extensions. I don't take the intake off, but have seen it done in videos, but I do need to use a swivel. I wish the housing was aluminum also.

Also I absolutely love my Ram, but to nitpick the filter location is not my favorite haha. Still makes for an easy change though and absolutely takes nothing away from an amazing truck.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I may just not have the right combination of extensions. I don't take the intake off, but have seen it done in videos, but I do need to use a swivel. I wish the housing was aluminum also.

Also I absolutely love my Ram, but to nitpick the filter location is not my favorite haha. Still makes for an easy change though and absolutely takes nothing away from an amazing truck.

15/16" 6 point socket and a medium or long handle flex head ratchet works perfect.

OP
OP
M

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
PoMan I checked your Fuelly post and we are very close on mpg and I see your fills are about 24 gallons and I am curious about what your gauge is reading as I fill when the needle hits 1/2 and mine takes about 20 at that point. Also, when you "snug'' the filter cap do you use an inch torque wrench? When I do my own oil change I don't want break it. I presume a 26 gallon tank?

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, Sanda, Like ihave the power to take anybody’s choice of rear end gears away. If I could do that, I wouldn’t be driving a brown truck for a living.

I never had Problems with 3.55s. Doesn’t change the fact that they suck.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
PoMan I checked your Fuelly post and we are very close on mpg and I see your fills are about 24 gallons and I am curious about what your gauge is reading as I fill when the needle hits 1/2 and mine takes about 20 at that point. Also, when you "snug'' the filter cap do you use an inch torque wrench? When I do my own oil change I don't want break it. I presume a 26 gallon tank?

In warm/hot weather I have averaged ~24mpg over a whole tank. In the cold of winter it's more like 20-21mpg tank/tank. I have the 32gal tank and back when I was doing fuelly, when she was on E, most I could get into the tank was about 24-25 gallons. When I had the truck in for recall work, one of the updates partially fixed this. Now I can get in about 27-28gal.

In regards to the oil filter cap. I use a short 3/8" ratchet handle and just kind of snug it by hand. It does have somewhat of a positive stop once it's snugged. Not as positive as I'd like, but it's OK. It isn't as scary as it seems. Hardest part IMO is reaching way up and in there to get at the darn thing. I'm 6ft tall and have to stand on a step ladder to reach it.

I owned a 2013 Grand Caravan with a Pentastar and did every oil change on that van and never had an issue. We owned it 4-5yrs and 75K miles.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just because it's only $12 and some change, I think I'll order a spare cap from Benny my next shipment. Sounds like I'll need it sooner or later and I like spares.

I don't think it's the cap that typically fails. It's the housing that gets tweaked, cracks and leaks. I'd have to search for some youtube clips on it, but I *think* to replace the whole assembly, the upper intake has to come off. Worse than it sounds as upper intakes have to come off on about every engine these days to get at anything.

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
Brought my truck in for recall and whining noise during decel. Got a 18 classic hemi for a rental. The torque is noticeable so is the fuel needle. I'll do a one day normal routine mpg comparison.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
As I mentioned before I do like my Pentastar !I have the 3:21 gears and am happy but from the MPG reading on the other gears the fun factor would increase lol BUT my RAM is a street queen stock 4x4 , I avg 20/21 mpg around town summer 22 /23 Hwy at 70/75 MPH, 19 Winter Gas around town .IMO not too bad for a full size 4x4 :) Lately I have been watching the speed a bit and have been 22.4 to 23.6 HWY . I get 28+ MPG on my little HHR so I am happy with my RAM :)

OP
OP
M

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
As I mentioned before I do like my Pentastar !I have the 3:21 gears and am happy but from the MPG reading on the other gears the fun factor would increase lol BUT my RAM is a street queen stock 4x4 , I avg 20/21 mpg around town summer 22 /23 Hwy at 70/75 MPH, 19 Winter Gas around town .IMO not too bad for a full size 4x4 :) Lately I have been watching the speed a bit and have been 22.4 to 23.6 HWY . I get 28+ MPG on my little HHR so I am happy with my RAM :)
Mine gets similar mpg and I too am happy with my Ram. My last fill calculated 25.8 that matched one other for my all time high. I think its amazing that such a big truck can get this kind of mileage.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Mine gets similar mpg and I too am happy with my Ram. My last fill calculated 25.8 that matched one other for my all time high. I think its amazing that such a big truck can get this kind of mileage.
My best was 24.6 mpg. But that was only once ! My next trip to visit I will try staying at 65 instead of 75 just to see if there is a sweet spot for MPG. BUT I am happy with 20/21 average.

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
Adviser called today, valve body or trans. Main concern is them filling it properly. Not too excited about this but I'm second owner and I can get a new tyranny to start fresh or at least some new fluid and vb. I'm just glad I'm in another ram and not a minivan.

droopie85gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My complaint is the engine is so small, it is WAAAAY down in there. I think if work is ever done, it will be perfectly easy to stand between the radiator and the engine. But for oil changes, it's almost like laying down on the core support to reach in there. Otherwise it's so stupidly simple and fairly mess free to change the oil. I don't like the idea of 10k mile oil changes, so I do mine at 25%, which has been between 5,000 and 7,000 miles so far. My 17 has 18k miles now.

I just wish it had about 30-50 more ft lbs. If I could drive 65, it would get 24-26 mpg. But have done a lot of driving in Texas this year. Where the speed limits are 75, I am going 84 and the lightest hill or headwind causes it to downshift to 7th or 6th and it only gets 17-19.

HAHAHA...how am I complaining. My 07 Avalanche being pushed with the engine off never got 19 mpg!

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
Final word from the dealer. I'm getting a new transmission. They were great to deal with so far. Got me a rental from enterprise and I'm lucky enough to get into a 19 bighorn classic. 62f8c37ecab5184946f491c239937d8a.jpg

I'm doing everything that needs to be done with an open bed. Lol.

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
Update: I have my truck back after 8 days. 3 recalls completed. I have a new transmission, condensor/trans cooler, evac and recharge of hvac. 3 yr 100k mile warranty on new trans. Tech notes said he found metal/brass in oil pan. The truck drove just as it did before minus the whine. I'll have to get under there tomorrow and inspect the work. I'm very happy with the service and outcome. I did buy the truck used with 21k miles. It's now at 29k with a new transmission.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Update: I have my truck back after 8 days. 3 recalls completed. I have a new transmission, condensor/trans cooler, evac and recharge of hvac. 3 yr 100k mile warranty on new trans. Tech notes said he found metal/brass in oil pan. The truck drove just as it did before minus the whine. I'll have to get under there tomorrow and inspect the work. I'm very happy with the service and outcome. I did buy the truck used with 21k miles. It's now at 29k with a new transmission.
Good news and great you have a good dealer ! So far I have been lucky with my dealer as well !

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The wife's 2014 Grand Cherokee has 45,000 on it and the only issue she has had was the oil pressure sensor.

The oil pressure sensors are a common problem throughout the FCA vehicles regardless of engine.
My problems with my 3.6 T&C van have been
1. Unbelievable acceleration over the high mountain passes in Colorado.
2. If not careful it lights up the front tires from a stop.
3. 28 mpg at 80 mph. (sometimes).
4. Haul 7 people, the dog and all the luggage with no problem.
I hate this thing!?