3.6 Pentastar Issues Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I have this engine in my GC Summit. It has been flawless with 57K miles on it. I never used my Lifetime MaxCare on the engine. However, I used it elsewhere. It has been a solid engine and performer.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Update: I have my truck back after 8 days. 3 recalls completed. I have a new transmission, condensor/trans cooler, evac and recharge of hvac. 3 yr 100k mile warranty on new trans. Tech notes said he found metal/brass in oil pan. The truck drove just as it did before minus the whine. I'll have to get under there tomorrow and inspect the work. I'm very happy with the service and outcome. I did buy the truck used with 21k miles. It's now at 29k with a new transmission.

Thanks for the update.

I don't think I've heard of maybe one other Pentastar Ram 8HP45 issues where transmission replacement was necessary. You read of more 8HP70 issues, but figure there's probably more Rams equipped with 70s out there.

Given the low mileage of your truck, it sounds like a manufacturing defect. Who knows. Transmissions boggle my mind how reliable they are given the amount of moving and electrical parts in them.

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
Thanks for the update.

I don't think I've heard of maybe one other Pentastar Ram 8HP45 issues where transmission replacement was necessary. You read of more 8HP70 issues, but figure there's probably more Rams equipped with 70s out there.

Given the low mileage of your truck, it sounds like a manufacturing defect. Who knows. Transmissions boggle my mind how reliable they are given the amount of moving and electrical parts in them.

The only reason I bought a v6 is due to this transmission. I rented a grand Cherokee with this power train a few years back and was thoroughly impressed. It keeps the engine in the max power band range.

Todd Robinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 v6
Just bought 2017 ram 1500 with pentastar 58000 miles apparently oil pump came apart so they replaced engine now having an issue with my
The oil temp gauge(s) will cut out while driving usually about 30 to 40 miles into a trip. When this happens if I give it enough throttle to hit around 4000 rpm the engine cuts out as if the govener kicked in. I have to get off the gas until it drops down to about 2000rpm before I can apply throttle again.

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
Just bought 2017 ram 1500 with pentastar 58000 miles apparently oil pump came apart so they replaced engine now having an issue with my
The oil temp gauge(s) will cut out while driving usually about 30 to 40 miles into a trip. When this happens if I give it enough throttle to hit around 4000 rpm the engine cuts out as if the govener kicked in. I have to get off the gas until it drops down to about 2000rpm before I can apply throttle again.

You better get it to a dealer asap. I think power train warranty ends at 60k miles.

Ern88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I drove my 2018 Ram 1500 w/ 3.6 pentastar from Halifax to Toronto. Which is roughly 1800 km (1120 miles) I averaged 10.4 liters per 100 km (22 mpg) average spped was 112 kmh (70 mph). Truck worked great.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I have been getting a Major whining issue for awhile ! All I did was pop open the door and pushed her out :O FYI I was nice and slowed down to 25MPH before I pushed her out
lol

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
I have been getting a Major whining issue for awhile ! All I did was pop open the door and pushed her out :O FYI I was nice and slowed down to 25MPH before I pushed her out
lol

[emoji23]

tomcatt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 (prev 1998 1500)
Engine
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 3.6 with almost 120K. Only a few issues. A/C compressor went out prior to 100K, and just last week had to have the oil cooler assembly replaced. Asked if it had cracked near the oil filter and was told no, it was close to the mold marks. This info came from a third party garage, and I was interested as the dealer has done all the oil changes. The dealer has a deal that makes the oil change be about $21, so it's easier to let them do it. I would likely have had an issue with the dealer if it had cracked near the filter.

I also had the brakes replaced all the way around last week. First time. And, had the sparkplugs replaced, should have done that about 20K ago.

Pretty happy with the truck, Plenty of power and good MPGs. Not as good as our Tesla though :)

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I think we Pentastar owners feel a little bit left out on this site because the Hemi owners are always having fun discussing Hemi tick, lifter and cam wham, how to disable MDS, and ALL kinds of funny noises that their engines make! Also all the fun methods they discuss about changing the oil filters without breaking their knuckles, or making a mess on the driveway, And even buying kits to move the oil filter somewhere else! Also the lively discussions about where you can get the best deals on 16 spark plugs to do a change out. Heck, I almost wish I bought a Hemi just so I could be in on all those fun discussions!

Last edited:

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
..... I almost wish I bought a Hemi just so I could be in on all those fun discussions!

LOL! I have to admit I get the itch from time to time and search for a low mile used 2018-2019 Classic with a Hemi, only because in ~35yrs of vehicle ownership, I've never owned a V8. Gas is cheap now too. Thing is, then I drive to work in my 2017 with the pentastar and I still love to drive it and be in the truck.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The oil filter housing/cooler in our 2013 3.6 Pentastar Jeep Wrangler failed last week. I started to notice oil in the valley two weeks ago and it was running down the bell housing of the trans. The leak wasn't too bad but it was getting worse. About 76,000 miles on the clock. I believe it was the seals instead of cracks but who knows for sure. Replaced the oil filter housing/cooler, upper and lower intake seals and the spark plugs while it was all apart. The parts alone from the dealer here where $560.00 CAN plus tax. I pushed the easy button on this one. My wife's buddy owns his own garage and got all the MOPAR parts way cheaper than I could and put them in for slightly more than I would have paid for the parts alone.

Keep an eye for oil leaks in the valley under the intake if you have this motor in your truck. You will all be replacing this part soon enough.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The oil filter housing/cooler in our 2013 3.6 Pentastar Jeep Wrangler failed last week. I started to notice oil in the valley two weeks ago and it was running down the bell housing of the trans. The leak wasn't too bad but it was getting worse. About 76,000 miles on the clock. I believe it was the seals instead of cracks but who knows for sure. Replaced the oil filter housing/cooler, upper and lower intake seals and the spark plugs while it was all apart. The parts alone from the dealer here where $560.00 CAN plus tax. I pushed the easy button on this one. My wife's buddy owns his own garage and got all the MOPAR parts way cheaper than I could and put them in for slightly more than I would have paid for the parts alone.

Keep an eye for oil leaks in the valley under the intake if you have this motor in your truck. You will all be replacing this part soon enough.

Where were you able to see into the valley? I can’t find a good angle.

I ask as I have a hot or baking oil smell come in through the HVAC on occasion, but my 6000-8000km oil change interval never shows the loss of a drop. It’s really annoying me.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

I ask as I have a hot or baking oil smell come in through the HVAC on occasion, but my 6000-8000km oil change interval never shows the loss of a drop. It’s really annoying me.

I get an oil smell from my 2017 from time to time as well. I bought the truck a year old with 12k miles on it and currently have 52k on it.

I've been the only one to change oil on it and try to go lightly on the oil filter cap. I just snug it by hand.

Not sure if it's weeping or if it's spilled oil. I can't get a good look in there either. Almost need one of those snake cams the way the pentastar sits in a ram 1500.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

On the Jeep if you pull the engine cover off and get a flashlight you can shine it into the front part of the valley where the filter sticks up from the engine. If you see some oil there you are guaranteed there is more as the valley will hold several inches of oil. Another way to tell the to crawl under the vehicle and see if you have oil running down the transmission bell housing and spraying all over the trans pan and cross member.

I wasn't noticing oil loss on the dipstick either as it starts very slow until it fills the valley and then runs down the back of the engine.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
A fella on another board I frequent started a thread on his pentastar oil filter housing. He just replaced it on his 2014 Jeep Cherokee at 117K miles because it was leaking. He bought an OEM replacement and did spark plugs and valve cover gaskets at the same time.

Apparently some of the aftermarket pentastar oil filter housings can be real junk and do not last long so you have to be careful. OEMs are upwards of $300.

How perfect would the pentastar be if it had a conventional spin on oil filter?

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have read the same thing about aftermarket replacements. Most of them are junk. I still wish the aftermarket would step up and make one out of aluminum but that is apparently not going to happen. They have had ample time to do so and nothing. That is why I went with all MOPAR parts when mine was done.

I have nothing against the filter cooler/housing design. Oil changes are easy. My issue is that they made it out of plastic so it would be guaranteed to fail.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
That whole assembly is frightening (and obscene o_O) looking to me, but for how many of them are out there now, the problems you hear are far and few between. The only oil filter housing related issue I've ever come across personally was with a friend/co-worker's 2016 Grand Cherokee. The dealer did an oil change and either forgot the O-ring for the cap or just plain left it loose. Either way, he lost a ton of oil within a few miles. They came to work and fixed it in the parking lot for him.
This housing is a Rube Goldberg design of the highest order. I like my 3.6 so much that if I must replace it I will. I won't complain if I can get 100k out of the original. I will do the next oil change as it does not look difficult and I will just snug it till it stops.
51IUgckOkpL._SX425_.jpg

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
I think each motor should have its own thread to give owners awareness their particular motor.
So I am curious as to what problems 3.6 owners are having? I have only 8K on mine with no issues so far.

I asked Pull Ya for one and he just messaged me that it's in the works. A V6 Pentastar permanent thread should show up soon, YAY! :banana-mario:

PS: I only have 1800 miles on mine but I love this whole setup---engine, trans, all.