3.6 Pentastar Issues Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Hahaha, there's no thread cuz there's no problems. I have almost 40K on mine and it still running strong like the day I bought it.

Pretty much the same here. Just tickling 38,000 miles and zero issues. In fact the one and only thing that ever came up was when a new kid at the dealership mis-tightened the oil filter, causing a *huge* oil spill and billowing blue clouds of smoke. Fixed up right away and no issues at all.

Mohican69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
I think each motor should have its own thread to give owners awareness their particular motor.
So I am curious as to what problems 3.6 owners are having? I have only 8K on mine with no issues so far.

106000 miles on mine and not a thing wrong with it. In fact I'm looking to trade it in am I'm considering buying another one with the Pentastar motor. The problem now is finding one. I know the Hemi is the more popular option but I can't be the only V6 owner.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have read the same thing about aftermarket replacements. Most of them are junk. I still wish the aftermarket would step up and make one out of aluminum but that is apparently not going to happen. They have had ample time to do so and nothing. That is why I went with all MOPAR parts when mine was done.

I have nothing against the filter cooler/housing design. Oil changes are easy. My issue is that they made it out of plastic so it would be guaranteed to fail.
A fella on another board I frequent started a thread on his pentastar oil filter housing. He just replaced it on his 2014 Jeep Cherokee at 117K miles because it was leaking. He bought an OEM replacement and did spark plugs and valve cover gaskets at the same time.

Apparently some of the aftermarket pentastar oil filter housings can be real junk and do not last long so you have to be careful. OEMs are upwards of $300.

How perfect would the pentastar be if it had a conventional spin on oil filter?
On the z forum, there is a member (from Ukraine I think) who is planning on manufacturing an all metal housing after a rather catastrophic failure of his housing.

He wanted to know the interest in such an upgrade, I told him I'd buy one for sure...might be worth posting over there if you too are interested.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
131k on my 2015. Replaced one rocker arm (was able to save cam). Oil leak developing @timing cover next to alternator

I'm thinkin' you're our high mileage pentastar Ram 1500 winner! Just curious how the miles were racked up, what oil you use and what oil change interval.

leowes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought the truck in October with 125k. The original owner was a salesman who traveled a 250 mile round trip every day to work. He religiously used Mobil 1 every 10k. When I pulled that valve cover off to do the rocker the inside looked almost new. No varnish or staining.

OP
OP
M

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
I just did my oil change (1st two the dealer did) and this is what I learned. When the plastic cap hits the end it just stops turning with zero give. I was running the ratchet with just my finger tips and going fast with no resistance and it suddenly stopped. I did not add any power to the handle as I have heard about cracking the housing. I shined my flashlight on seam where the cap and housing meet and there was no gap. I gave just a light pressure on the ratchet handle and there was no movement so I stopped. I started the engine and watched for oil leaks at the cap/housing seam and saw no leaks. When the two plastic parts meet do not force it and just lightly snug it to make sure the cap is all the way. Thanks to PoMansRam for his post on this. 23K and no issues. I love this truck.

stenerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
52K on my 2018 no problems yet. Been seeing a lot of YT videos about rocker arms going bad on these engines. Was wondering if this is still a common problem?

caltx01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
I purchased a 2003 Dodge RAM 1500 Tradesman in April of 2003 - brand new - bright red, 6 speed manual transmission, 3.7L v6 engine. My dad advised against it, he had driven Chevys all his life. Over the next 15 years I put 205,000 miles on that truck. It was a farm truck and I towed trailers hauling tractors, hay rolls, cattle, etc. I moved over 150 rolls of hay each year one roll at a time using a 'tumblebug' hay mover. I changed the oil religiously every 3,000 miles and I kept up with regular suggested maintenance.

Over the course of those 15 years the only repairs I had to make outside of regular maintenance was replacing the electric cooling fan motor, replacing one cylinder coil when I tuned it up at 128,000 miles, and replacing the throw-out bearing at 154,000 miles. That is all. I sold the truck in October of 2018 for $1,500.00 and I swear it still ran like a dream.

Obviously when it was finally time for a new truck I had no problem whatsoever deciding on a RAM 1500 with a 3.6L v6 engine. I am 50,000 miles into the life of that truck and still no repairs outside of scheduled maintenance.

No bowties in my garage! RAMs rule!!

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
Over 60,000 miles on my 2017 V6 in my Ram 1500 4x4. Nothing other than regular oil changes so far and reccommended maintenance.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Put another 15k on since my first post, no problems.

OP
OP
M

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
Overnight my battery dropped to 4.6 volts. I pulled the battery and recharged it and now its OK. Something must have been on all night but I don't know what. The key was not in the ignition so I think some relay must have stuck. I tried to charge the battery before pulling it but it bogged the charger down indicating a short or heavy draw. I thought the battery had an internal short but after pulling it the charger had no issue in charging it. Ideas anyone?

Jholt2015ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 4x4 3.6L V6 with 176000 miles, I just had to have New Cams and Rockers installed. From what I see this is about the only real issue these LIttle engines have. I have a Chrysler Tech that is a friend of mine and He says he sees it all time on the 3.6L. He Did one the other day that had 298k miles. So they seem to hold up real well minus the Cam and Rocker issue. IF you catch the Ticking noise quick enough you just have to replace rockers and Most the time the Cams are ok.

I just bought My truck and I bought it with the ticking in the engine. I feel like I got it at a steal I gave $11k for the Truck and paid my buddy $1k to install new cam and lifters (that was parts and Labor) So I am in a 2015 for $12k and it runs and looks like new. Hopefully she holds up well for another 100k or more.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
That's another bonus on the pentastar is the cams and lifters are cheap. Not so much with the hemi.
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 4x4 3.6L V6 with 176000 miles, I just had to have New Cams and Rockers installed. From what I see this is about the only real issue these LIttle engines have. I have a Chrysler Tech that is a friend of mine and He says he sees it all time on the 3.6L. He Did one the other day that had 298k miles. So they seem to hold up real well minus the Cam and Rocker issue. IF you catch the Ticking noise quick enough you just have to replace rockers and Most the time the Cams are ok.

I just bought My truck and I bought it with the ticking in the engine. I feel like I got it at a steal I gave $11k for the Truck and paid my buddy $1k to install new cam and lifters (that was parts and Labor) So I am in a 2015 for $12k and it runs and looks like new. Hopefully she holds up well for another 100k or more.
If mine needs this work done ever, I plan to upgrade the intake manifold with the newer freer flowing one which I think is included in the 2016+ Pentastars.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

You have a pre-2016 Pentastar, in 2016 they were revised and have basically no issues.

Sent from iPhone XS Max

tnpete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Our 2015 has 179890 on it. Had planning on trading it off the past Thursday. But could not part with it. My wife has put 99.9% of those miles on the 1500 Tradesman QC. She retired and wanted a new Nissan Murano Platinum.
Truck was ran 10K between oil change's. I changed all but a few where she was gone all week. Truck was used as a work truck. She ran the wheels of the thing. Only issue it has had in all those miles. Gear selector went out at 159,000. Would not go into park.

Edit oil change was done when reminder told us it needed changed? I may have the 10K wrong. But that sticks in my mind.

Last edited:

tnpete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never going to make a post like the above one again. Made it and within 5 months issues. Post give my engine the famous tick.