3.6 Pentastar Issues Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
Wife has this in her 2018 JK. I was shocked how underpowered and gutless this 3.6L is.

She just hit 35xxx and No issues yet. But will be getting a custom tune and 4.88 this summer.
My buddy has it in his jeep also,I think in the jeep its the way its geared with transmission etc that makes it feel like a slug,His does not even feel close to what mine is like.Think its designed for climbing steep grades etc,drives like a slug though

Demth02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.8
I think that's not an engine problem. An engine problem is when it stops running and drops a rod through the block. What you have indicates that the powertrain control module has detected a fault on the secondary ignition coil circuit.

ronr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2018 1500 express with 97k. Has run great, until I just lost the head gasket. Threw a code for #2 cylinder. I thought it was a spark plug issue with the mileage. The small amount of white smoke thats there in the morning, now never goes away. This is my first Ram in over 30 years. I've been very happy with the truck with much more positives than negatives. Not happy now. I have always run my GM trucks to 200k with no major issues. Does anyone have input if this is common?
Thanks

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
2018 1500 express with 97k. Has run great, until I just lost the head gasket. Threw a code for #2 cylinder. I thought it was a spark plug issue with the mileage. The small amount of white smoke thats there in the morning, now never goes away. This is my first Ram in over 30 years. I've been very happy with the truck with much more positives than negatives. Not happy now. I have always run my GM trucks to 200k with no major issues. Does anyone have input if this is common?
Thanks

I've owned 3 of these engines 2010, 2014 & 2017 and never had any problems like you have...

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yeah I don't think I've ever heard of a HG problem with a Pentastar unless it was severely overheated. Issues with cracks in a head or valve seat problems were fairly common on the 2013 to maybe 2015.

Like said, rocker arm problems are the #1 fairly common problem with them and it's not a huge, nor overly costly repair.

Of course the PITA oil filter/cooler housing bites the big one on all pentastars.

ronr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^^ I don't think it is a common problem, at least I have not seen anything on it.

Have you priced out the cost to fix it?

Thanks
It's in a private shop with a trusted Dodge mechanic. They said this is not common. He's suggesting to just get a used motor. 20-25k miles, 8-9k installed! The trucks been driven 400 miles with the gasket issue. Just before a trip I had been hearing the sloshing of fluid behind the dash. I topped off the coolant and away we went. Once there, I received the hot warning and had to pull over twice. I bled out the air lock and drove home at the end of the weekend. Motor sounded and ran fine except for a little rough idle. I tried to drive it to the shop (7mi) and it got hot again, so i had it towed from there. He started it and drove it into the bay a couple of days later and a few hours after that found fluid on the #2 cylinder. Im searching out another post here that I thought had read having the same issue. See if he got away with just a head gasket. The mechanic had originally said the head should probably be swapped out for what they cost, $400ish. It's hard to swallow 8-9k for a used motor installed.

SoFLRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman 4x4
Engine
Pentastar V-6
2013 outdoorsman 3.6 L

Blown engine at 115,000
$9600 for dealership to install new one. 50k mile warranty.

At 189,000 blown engine again. Dealership did oil changes. Etc

This time it is getting a 5 yr unlimited mile engine from Frasier.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wifes Cherokee L 20k miles just started rattling on the cold start in the morning. I am running the same oil and oil filter as my ram. Castrol Edge and a puraltor boss filter. I am going to try Pennzoil platinum and the same filter. I have lubeguard ordered as well. Any one have this happen on the newer 3.6s?

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the cold start rattle is pretty normal for the Pentastars. It should only do it for second or two after it sits a long time, like overnight.

Our 2013 Wrangler (115,000 miles) does it here and there and we recently bought a new 2022 Cherokee Trailhawk with the 3.2 Pentastar for my wife to replace the Wrangler and it does it on once and while too when it sits for a long time. After a second or two they are both smooth and quiet.

I run PUP 5W30 in the Wrangler and the Cherokee will get the same when I do its first oil change.

Last edited:

Scooter Michigan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Durango
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
First time buyer of a mopar vehicle. 2014 Dodge Durango with 60K on it.
Now it has 120K with regular maintenance applied. Loved the way it drives and operates.
Developed a rocker ticking in bank one. Scheduled a diagnostic, at a Chrysler Dealership.
Had I known this issue was a common problem with 3.6 engines.
I would not have bought this or any other Chrysler until this defective issue was resolved.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
57k on a 2017 Durango 3.6, evap purge valve, PCV valve (code chasing that was the evap purge valve), catch can, and regular oil changes (now using 0W-30 Red Line). Started this morning at 18° F with no noise.

Toon12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L V6
Ram 1500 since 2006. Pentastar since 2017 with the only issue being the ESIM (Emission System Integrity Module) which we have had to replace twice. Bought the extended warranty and of course the module is not covered. I have read that the module failure is caused by overfilling the gas tank. When the gas pump kicks off do not add any more fuel and you should be fine.
I have also added the Baxter oil filter adapter to help reduce the amount of time the engine runs dry of oil at start up.
I am very pleased with the performance of this engine. It's no slouch but it doesn't compare to the Hemi for power. It is so much better on fuel though. I'm getting as high as 30 mpg on the highway and 14-15 in town. The 5.7 Hemi only got 5-8 mpg in town.

moto-scoot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
:mad::mad: Replacing my head gaskets at 79k
Ex 40 yr dodge tech, went to my old dealership to borrow a torque angle wrench.
Shop foreman told me they are having a lot of issues with blown 3.6l head gaskets.
[mostly engine replacments]
If your truck is boiling over in overflow tank you have this problem.
Working outside on it in pa in December blows.
Will update after together if head gaskets fixed or if i have cracked head or block.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Might as well do the lifters and rockers while you're in there. ;)

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
:mad::mad: Replacing my head gaskets at 79k
Ex 40 yr dodge tech, went to my old dealership to borrow a torque angle wrench.
Shop foreman told me they are having a lot of issues with blown 3.6l head gaskets.
[mostly engine replacments]
If your truck is boiling over in overflow tank you have this problem.
Working outside on it in pa in December blows.
Will update after together if head gaskets fixed or if i have cracked head or block.
As in blown head gaskets on Ram 3.6L or blown head gaskets across models?

moto-scoot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
As in blown head gaskets on Ram 3.6L or blown head gaskets across models?
meaning 3.6l engines across all models not only rams
And i checked it has the new design rockers and they are good.
Have another set of 3.6 cams from work so mine will never go bad :D
Put a set of felpro head gaskets on to see if they last any better than OEM
exhaust bolted on cams and valve train in timing chains on
Need to install timing cover and valve covers up.
Big storm coming tomorrow, will have to wait for a break in the weather to finish.

Last edited: