3.6 to 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
No need to mess with any other drivetrain components? I’ll have to keep this in mind once I SC my RAM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rear axle will be the same although I think the 3.6L engine gets the 3.55 option also. Driveshafts seem to be dictated by frame length vs which trannys they are bolted to.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's a shame they didn't put the beefier 8 speed behind the Pentastar. I e heard the Pentastar responds well to forced induction.

I have a ProCharger on my 2013 Perf Pac V6 Mustang, with the manual six speed transmission. I told Forza to go relatively conservative with the power out put. That car puts 393 RWHP down. 3560 pounds. I have the same drivetrain as a GT except for the clutch. It'll get 32 mpg, if you go the speed limit, which is very difficult to do. All that car wants to do is go fast.

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's a shame they didn't put the beefier 8 speed behind the Pentastar. I e heard the Pentastar responds well to forced induction.

I have a ProCharger on my 2013 Perf Pac V6 Mustang, with the manual six speed transmission. I told Forza to go relatively conservative with the power out put. That car puts 393 RWHP down. 3560 pounds. I have the same drivetrain as a GT except for the clutch. It'll get 32 mpg, if you go the speed limit, which is very difficult to do. All that car wants to do is go fast.

I mean, the Pentastar stock trans can handle quite a bit more than the stock motor. The only way you can even get close is with a blower.

Khalil1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
V6
Supercharge the 3.6 and enjoy it!!! I would think it would be cheaper then trying to swap to a 5.7 and you'll end up with more power then most 5.7's. Plus your truck won't sound like a sewing machine every time you start it up.... Hahaha!!!!

https://sprintexusa.com/ram-1500-3/

or

https://www.rippmods.com/collections/dodge-ram/products/2015-2017-ram-3-6-supercharger-system

Wow, if that RIPP SC really works with all stock components, than that's all I need for my v6.

Any ideas why they still didn't release it yet? I would love to order it.

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow, if that RIPP SC really works with all stock components, than that's all I need for my v6.

Any ideas why they still didn't release it yet? I would love to order it.

Well, it doesn’t work with all stock components. Need to switch out your ECM, add an intercooler, etc

Khalil1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
V6
Well, it doesn’t work with all stock components. Need to switch out your ECM, add an intercooler, etc

yea, if you check thier website, the package includes everything you need.
https://www.rippmods.com/collections/dodge-ram/products/2015-2017-ram-3-6-supercharger-system

What's included:

• Vortech V3 Si Trim self contained centrifugal supercharger
  • Our largest, Air to Air Front Mounted Intercooler
  • Full Mandrell Bent Piping and necessary hardware to bolt on the system
  • Vortech Max Flow Blow Off Valve
  • Larger, FIC primary injectors
  • Hptuners Cable with credits to license ECU
  • Modified PCM
  • RIPP Proprietary MAP sensor

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
If your truck isn’t paid off, call the bank and get their blessing. You’ll likely run into issues with your insurance company as the VIN won’t jive with the driveline. Same goes for any warranty, service plans, etc...

One other administrative item... I have a real hard problem justifying swapping an engine/transmission into a vehicle that’s readily available to otherwise purchase. Prime example, swapping a 5.7 into a Ram. You’ll be on your own should anything eff up, and let’s not kid ourselves, things will not go as planned. If you’re going to swap engines, swap in something unique.

With the nanny clerical nonsense out of the way, let’s do this.

This is not a complete parts list, but if you’ve got a clean mechanically sound donor, that mirrors yours you’ve got it made. By this I mean the cab and bed match (i.e. qc/sb, rc/lb, etc..).. 2wd vs 4wd is irrelevant at this point.

Option 1 - If the cab and bed configurations match do a body swap. Assuming like for like bodies and beds, swap yours to the donor. Quick and easy. Minimal to no VIN Frankenstein issues and you’re good.

Option 2 - If the cab / bed do t match you’ll need everything mounted to the frame moved to yours. Pull the front clips to make life easier.

I would need to verify there are no structural differences between the V6 and V8 frames aside from engine / trans mounts. Assuming there are not...

You’ll need to swap the engine and transmission mounts, radiator and related assemblies, engine and trans electrical harnesses, under-hood harnesses, battery tray (larger battery), HVAC system (different orientation), power steering system including the steering rack, full exhaust system, fuel tank and lines, all fluid reservoirs, the PCM and BCM.

Suspension wise, you’ll need the entire front suspension as the V8 is heavier and has a different setup than the V6.

You’ll want to swap the drive shafts and rear end.

I may have forgotten one or two things, but this will get you started.

Have fun as that’s what it’s about after all and keep us posted.

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yea, if you check thier website, the package includes everything you need.

What's included:

• Vortech V3 Si Trim self contained centrifugal supercharger
  • Our largest, Air to Air Front Mounted Intercooler
  • Full Mandrell Bent Piping and necessary hardware to bolt on the system
  • Vortech Max Flow Blow Off Valve
  • Larger, FIC primary injectors
  • Hptuners Cable with credits to license ECU
  • Modified PCM
  • RIPP Proprietary MAP sensor

A modified PCM isn’t stock.

Khalil1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
V6
A modified PCM isn’t stock.

Yea my bad, I should modify my first comment, what I meant that this package is all you need to get great gains to your V6 which includes the the intercooler, ECU, PCM, etc. (assuming it does not effect other stock compartments, such as the transmission).

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your truck isn’t paid off, call the bank and get their blessing. You’ll likely run into issues with your insurance company as the VIN won’t jive with the driveline. Same goes for any warranty, service plans, etc...

One other administrative item... I have a real hard problem justifying swapping an engine/transmission into a vehicle that’s readily available to otherwise purchase. Prime example, swapping a 5.7 into a Ram. You’ll be on your own should anything eff up, and let’s not kid ourselves, things will not go as planned. If you’re going to swap engines, swap in something unique.

With the nanny clerical nonsense out of the way, let’s do this.

This is not a complete parts list, but if you’ve got a clean mechanically sound donor, that mirrors yours you’ve got it made. By this I mean the cab and bed match (i.e. qc/sb, rc/lb, etc..).. 2wd vs 4wd is irrelevant at this point.

Option 1 - If the cab and bed configurations match do a body swap. Assuming like for like bodies and beds, swap yours to the donor. Quick and easy. Minimal to no VIN Frankenstein issues and you’re good.

Option 2 - If the cab / bed do t match you’ll need everything mounted to the frame moved to yours. Pull the front clips to make life easier.

I would need to verify there are no structural differences between the V6 and V8 frames aside from engine / trans mounts. Assuming there are not...

You’ll need to swap the engine and transmission mounts, radiator and related assemblies, engine and trans electrical harnesses, under-hood harnesses, battery tray (larger battery), HVAC system (different orientation), power steering system including the steering rack, full exhaust system, fuel tank and lines, all fluid reservoirs, the PCM and BCM.

Suspension wise, you’ll need the entire front suspension as the V8 is heavier and has a different setup than the V6.

You’ll want to swap the drive shafts and rear end.

I may have forgotten one or two things, but this will get you started.

Have fun as that’s what it’s about after all and keep us posted.

Oof, forgot about that front end weight. I son’t think anyone else caught it either. I still say boost the motor..

BobSacomano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I'm aware it's not an easy task but I do want to do a build series on it and document it

For me, that's the key thing you said. If you wanna do it, despite the monumental task that it is, I'd selfishly say you should do it just because I'd wanna follow your build threads, see how it's done, no matter how it turns out.

engineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
Curious what decisions have been made on this.....

I am in a similar situation and will be getting the Sprintex SC kit. The idea of a 5.7 swap quickly blew up as a senseless project. I have done swaps before and know that the plan on paper is miles from the actual practical plan. In the end, I would spend weeks fiddling, learning, cussing. The SC kit installs in a day and I am done. It is also reversible if that is every needed.

No brainer.

OP
OP
Chris Whitnall
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Honestly still considering going with the V8 swap but doing a built motor before I drop it in so I basically get a new motor. I've found the easiest would be to buy a written off truck on copart ( they seem to be reasonably priced) and remove everything needed from the write off truck. In doing this I would learn how to remove everything and I just need to do the opposite to put it back in and if you document everything a lot of buyers would be happy to buy the truck with a rebuilt/built motor that's just my opinion though

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

Cajun337

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic Quad Cab
Engine
V6 Pentastar
If you want to go ahead with the engine swap and put a 5.7 HEMI in place of the 3.6 Pentastar you are going to need to swap the transmission as well. Your best bet would be to locate a wrecked donor truck.

The 845RE, which is the transmission behind the 3.6 in your truck, has a torque rating of 331 lb-ft. of torque. The torque rating is fine for the 3.6 because it can only make a maximum of 270 lb-ft. or torque but the 5.7 HEMI makes 395HP and 410 lb-ft. of torque. That much torque on the 845RE will hurt this trans and it will not last very long even as a daily driver. The trans the comes behind the 5.7 HEMI in the trucks is the 8HP70 which has a torque rating of 516 lb-ft. of torque.

So, for the basics of the swap you will need the PCM and will need to have it programmed with your VIN/SKIM info. You will also need the engine wiring harness, motor, transmission, torque converter, exhaust y-pipe, radiator, etc.
Is Super Charging the V6 a viable option to gain a little power for occasionally towing my boat(approx 5000lbs total on a tandem axle trailer) without harming the transmission? I’ll be traveling on mostly flat land on the gulf coast except a few bridges to get over and pulling up the boat ramp.
Thanks for any guidance.