3.6l Oil change issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I just had a thought that we should be measuring from the stop on the plastic part as it could be a different length. Different years could also have different length tubes. There must be something different between the AA and the AB parts.
I was thinking something similar but at the same time I suppose 6 qts is 6 qts.

Maybe I'm just over thinking it and should just get a longer dipstick that will read the 6 qts as full, call it a day?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
The main thing is know where your actual oil level is. I got 2 free oil changes with my purchase so I have not changed the oil myself yet but did check the level after the dealer changed it and it was on full mark. My guess is 7 qts. would put the crank into the oil because the design is to maximize capacity on everything.

That_CAT_Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just changed mine the other day, took 6qts of RP on the nose. Might have missed it, but am curious to see if leveling the trucks plays a part in the issues.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My truck has 12 000 kms on it and this is the second time I change my oil with the same issue. The manual indicates the truck takes 6quarts or 5.7l of oil. I fill to that exact specification but the dipstick isn't even touching oil! I tried starting it up and letting it run for -30 seconds. Finally when the truck sits after two hours the dipsticks just barely touches oil. I purposely filled my truck with another half quart just so the oil touches the dipstick halfway.

Does anyone else have this issue when changing the oil? I know for the 2014's it's a new oil filter, so I don't know if that's the issue.

I have the exact issue on my 2017 Ram 1500 with the pentastar and fill it closer to 6.5-7qts of oil to get it to read mid range on the stick. I posted a thread on this a year or so ago.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Just changed mine the other day, took 6qts of RP on the nose. Might have missed it, but am curious to see if leveling the trucks plays a part in the issues.
It hasn't been answered yet, I suppose I could raise the rear on a 2" board and see if it reads differently.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have the exact issue on my 2017 Ram 1500 with the pentastar and fill it closer to 6.5-7qts of oil to get it to read mid range on the stick. I posted a thread on this a year or so ago.
What year is your truck?

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I just had a thought that we should be measuring from the stop on the plastic part as it could be a different length. Different years could also have different length tubes. There must be something different between the AA and the AB parts.
I Just measured mine from the bottom of the pull ring and it is 31 1/4" 1 " longer then the dip wire

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6

Changed my 2018 Pentastar oil yesterday. Let the old oil drain until it stopped dripping and put 6 quarts of Mobil One in. After starting then letting it drain back, it reads right at the top of the hatched area, actually a hair above the hatches, but not past the "pill".

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I removed the excess oil yesterday with the use of a 32 ounce togo cup and an oil pan.

I'll update again when I get a properly sized dipstick.

It's important to note that with an extra quart in I saw no adverse effects whatsoever...but the 7th quart didn't belong.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I removed the excess oil yesterday with the use of a 32 ounce togo cup and an oil pan.

I'll update again when I get a properly sized dipstick.

It's important to note that with an extra quart in I saw no adverse effects whatsoever...but the 7th quart didn't belong.

I am curious that the stick # match's to your truck but appears short :O Have you talked to your dealership about it ? I assume all the oil pans are the same on the Pentastar's !

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I am curious that the stick # match's to your truck but appears short :O Have you talked to your dealership about it ? I assume all the oil pans are the same on the Pentastar's !
I have the same concerns. I'm presently mulling over whether I should order the 2014 AA P/N (to see if mine is a fluke) or just order the 2015+ P/N (to be done with it)...

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I would talk to a RAM tech or find someone with a 2014 to measure their Dip Stick.. I am surprised no on site has yet ! :O

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
This is the official ask!

If anyone here gas a 2013 or 2014 RAM please measure it and post here when time allows. Posting a picture of the part number for the dipstick couldn't hurt either.

OP
OP
G

Grad12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 3.6

If anyone here gas a 2013 or 2014 RAM please measure it and post here when time allows. Posting a picture of the part number for the dipstick couldn't hurt either.

I'll post my next change. Started this thread 5 years ago and I've been changing my oil the exact same way ever since.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6

My curiosity got me :) did you ever find out about your dipstick ? Or why you have yo get 7 qt to get a reading ?

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I have 3 ram/Dodge vehicles. A 2011 ram 1500 a 2016 ram 1500 and a 2015 Dodge Durango rt

The Durango was the only vehicle that had to have 8 qts of oil to be full.

I was on a rt forum and significant discussion of the dipstick issue.

Apparently a 2013 to 2015 manufacturer issue with incorrect length.

My 11 & 16 have exact same stick and part number.

The 15 has had 3 revised numbers since manfacture. I went to dealer showed them issue, had the change oil and filter so they could see, made them check oil in front of me and vehicle was low.

Hmm they said, never seen this before, went and looked up dipstick number. Said yup, wrong dipstick. They ordered me a new one, went from AA to AD.

I replaced when it came in, oil level is now correct on stick.

Seems to be a common problem across all FCA vehicles.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My curiosity got me :) did you ever find out about your dipstick ? Or why you have yo get 7 qt to get a reading ?
Not yet. I've been very busy lately and right now I know exactly how much oil is in there so it hasn't been bothering me lately.

I'll post as soon as I do though. Sorry for the wait!

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Not yet. I've been very busy lately and right now I know exactly how much oil is in there so it hasn't been bothering me lately.

I'll post as soon as I do though. Sorry for the wait!

no problem on wait time. You do have a life :) you get to it when you can

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Finally got around to getting a hold of my dealership about this. Sorry for the delay. There is a slight twist to this story. Apparently FCA know about this issue and has issued a revised part number for those with this "calibration" issue.

Revised PN is 68154685AC (Tube & Stick)

https://www.quirkparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-indicator-engine-oil-level-68154685ac

I'm going to contact the service department and see if this is covered under warranty. If not, I'll be contacting FCA...if they tell me to buzz off I'll just by the longer dipstick and be done with it.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Thanks for the UPDATE . I completely forgot about it lol Thanks for the part # I book Marked it in case anyone else has a issue ! I would assume since their screw up they would pay but you never assume as the saying goes never assume