3.6l pentastar cylinder 3 misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tcp2133

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 gas
I have a 2017 ram four-wheel-drive 1500 with a 3.6 L Pentastar V6. Check engine light has been coming on in intermittently it goes away it comes back it’s been back for about two weeks straight I checked with my code reader and it says I have a cylinder three misfire. Does anybody have any experience with this? Spark plugs ignition coil something more? Any and all help would be appreciated. Thank you

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Swap coils with another cylinder. Pull the plugs from the cylinder coils you swap and compare. If the plugs are good put em back; if something about the plug is amiss then dig deeper there. If swapping coils moves the misfire to the other cylinder then that's an easy fix. If it does nothing maybe you have a clogged fuel injector.

Does your year of Pentastar have cylinder deactivation?

OP
OP
T

tcp2133

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 gas
What do you mean by cylinder deactivation?

arnieb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m having the exact problem with my 2017 Dodge 1500 3.6 with cylinder 3 misfire. I have 125k on it. I noticed the problem first while going at highway speeds. The engine was vibrating & shaking with the check engine light flashing and then stayed on. I got it tested at auto zone and the guy said I have a cylinder 3 misfire. I replaced the spark plugs and also cleaned the throttle body and also added Techron fuel injector cleaner in my gas tank and filled it up, the check engine light went off and the car was running smoothly, but after driving it for approximately 20 miles, the engine vibration started again while going at highway speeds, and the check engine light started flashing again, and now the check engine light is always on. Does anyone have similar issues and solutions that worked? Thanks

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are 4 cams on the 3.6 pentastar, Intake and exhaust on each cylinder bank, there are followers and tappets for each valve one of these may have gone bad and possible damaged the cam lobe, I would pull the valve cover for cyl#3 and take a look at #3 intake and exhaust valve, is there any valve ticking going on.