3.6L Pentastar V6 Engine Lawsuit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mga4036

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar v6
This lawsuit was filed 01/28/2022 in CA, FL, IL & MA which includes Pentastar V6 engines from 2014-2020.

I have all of the problems stated in the lawsuit on my 2014 Ram 1500. I took it to the dealership they said the engine would have to be replaced with a rebuilt engine at a cost of $9,400.

The problem is the engine would still have defective new parts and eventually I will have the same problem again. Of, course the dealership did not tell me this. My research and reading the lawsuit concluded this. FCA will need to remanufacture new parts which the suit states. When they took the engine apart I took pictures of the defects. They replaced with a new engine design in 2021.

I brought the truck home until the case is adjudicated. The lawsuit is asking everyone with this engine whole. I decided to lease a new 2022 Ram that will be fully under warranty and when I turn the truck in hopefully this suit will be settled by then.

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Well, I wish you and all the others all the luck in the world with this, but suits like this usually go on for years and years before a settlement is proposed or reached, and then the lawyers get most of the money. Meanwhile, your truck is sitting around, probably somewhat in the way of normal life, and is depreciating the whole time.

You‘ve already documented the issues with your truck and any settlement you might get would be based on owning an affected truck and having those issues, so you may be better off to just plug in a reman engine and either continue to drive it or sell it and move on. Just keep proof of ownership and your issues for future reference.

Major failures like engines, transmissions, drivelines, etc. really suck. I wish you well in finding some kind of resolution.

best,
DG

Tangent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Is there a link to a story about it or anything? My truck has that engine and its doing just fine at 130K. I had one problem with the oil filter housing having to be replaced at 100K, but that was expected.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure what issues people are having with the 3.6 my 2011 jeep has 130k besides a few stupid oil leaks I had to fix runs good. People just need to change their dam oil! with engines being made cheaper and cheaper gotta take care of them better. Also I still couldnt imagine a 3.6 powering a full sized ram to begin with lol.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
$50k truck
Replacement engine $9400.
Subtract $200 engine lawsuit settlement.

Realizing lawsuits don’t benefit anyone but the lawyers….. priceless!!

The public still benefits, lawsuits and/or the threat of them can be a stick behind the door when it comes to taking engineering shortcuts and doing the cost/benefit calculations. Helps keep the manufacturer on their toes somewhat.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought this specific engine because in my experiences and research, this seemed to be the safest bet in a full sized truck.

I did read about the possible rocker problems before I purchased, and decided to take a chance. I want no part of cylinder deactivation, twin turbos, or direct injection.

My son had a 3.6 in a mini-van, and was well over 100k when traded, with no ticking. I can also confirm the oil change interval was not necessarily on a tight schedule.

Last edited:

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought this specific engine because in my experiences and research, this seemed to be the safest bet in a full sized truck.

I did read about the possible lifter problems before I purchased, and decided to take a chance. I want no part of cylinder deactivation, twin turbos, or direct injection.

My son had a 3.6 in a mini-van, and was well over 100k when traded, with no ticking. I can also confirm the oil change interval was not necessarily on a tight schedule.
Mini-van is not the same engine.

Then again comparing a mini-van to a 1500 is a good comparison.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've now had two pentastar powered minivans. The first one had nearly 150k miles when I sold it and ran great. Normal 8k oci so I didn't baby it or anything. The other one has 75k now and so far so good. Other than the common oil cooler leak these are reliable motors overall. There are some failures but overall reliability is similar or better than many other v6 motors.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

I did read about the possible lifter problems before I purchased, and decided to take a chance. I want no part of cylinder deactivation, twin turbos, or direct injection.

125000 miles on my 15 wrangler. Just put a new heater core in it . This, that is the only repair. I think it’s a great engine.

120000 miles on wife’s 3.2 pstar in a 16 Cherokee. No repairs, runs like new.
Both engines , 5000 mile oci .

Last edited:

Mohican69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
I have 145K on my Ram 1500 and not a thing wrong with it. Regular oil changes is all I've had to do. It's time for major maintenance but I haven't made up my mind to keep it or trade it in. I specifically bought this truck for this motor because my Chevy Silverado with their terrible AFM blew up. I've been very happy with the Pentastar.

Railhead_Ed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Traded for 2016 Chevy Silverado
Engine
5.7 Hemi/ 5.3 L83
We just traded our 2012 Jeep GC with this engine. 163,000 miles. Not one problem. My 2009 RAM 5.7 Hemi had that on it when I traded for this Chevy.