3.6L Pentastar V6 - Performance Options?

What are the best performance spark plugs to use on a Dodge?

• E3 Dodge Ram Spark Plugs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Saw that too clay282, wondered how a coil pack can get that much extra.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Saw that too clay282, wondered how a coil pack can get that much extra.
Wondered the same thing. Maybe faster ignition fire? More thorough burn from the extra juice? $200 I would try them but for that $300 mark... little steep. Wonder if they also have a light turn to fully take advantage of just those coil packs and maybe an octane boost. We do have E85 compatible engines and I've heard folk lore LOL about pure E85 tunes that had larger HP gains.

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Clay282. Good points you make, but Ripp says it's stock tune, stock exhaust, stock intake. Only change was the coils. He also says that's its 40 minutes of your time. I really question that. You have to remove the upper intake to get to the coils on this engine.

I don't believe anything is for free, so I'm wondering if the "amplified" coil packs eat sparkplug gaps faster than stock. I'll email Ripp and ask them.

Edit: 06-11-2020
REceived reply from RIPP superchargers about the coils.

RIPP Superchargers Main <[email protected]>
To: D com>
Dave,

We have them installed on all of our shop vehicles and have not had any
issues like that. They've been on our vehicles since 2018, constantly
testing. Additionally we have not had an spark plug life issues with
them on the thousands of customer vehicle running these coil packs.

Eric Sangimino
RIPP Superchargers
718-815-1313
www.rippmods.com

On 6/10/2020 9:14 PM, D wrote:
Hello, I'm interested in your coil set and am wondering about it's longevity. Not the coil set but the factory components. For instance, if the coils are 'Amplified' as your video states, Has anyone reported back on spark plug life? I'm wondering about increased gap erosion due to the jucier spark.

Any ideas?
Thank
Dave

Last edited:

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Realize old thread but look into Ripp Superchargers the one for the charger puts it almost on the same level for a SRT8. I know they have one designed for the Rams kit comes with everything even a tuner and tune that they have R&D. But the recommend getting it tuned further to get the full potential out of it. Buddy as one on his 13 se charger and it was keeping up with the big dogs in the club. I think there is a youtube vid of a ripps 3.6 vs a hemi and it smoked the hemi.

Yes I saw that too, but what do you do with the weaker 8speed transmission? You are puting down as much hp as the hemi with the little v6 tranny. I'm wondering how badly that will effect longevity.

Are there any H-D kits for the v6 trans? Would that even help?

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
Adding a supercharger is the only way to get a significant increase in power. Buy the Hemi.

clay282

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Have ya'll heard anything about the lower intake swap to the 2019 - 2020 3.6 models? I stumbled on some posts about it and they said it added some low end power and response. AGAIN.... it's one of those things that you have to calculate = what's the real world difference vs price?

I honestly never feel like power is an issue until I get on the interstate and the lower torque of the V6 shows itself. My company car is a 4 banger and I've driven V6's most of my life, so I'm use to a motor needing to spool up the RPM's to make power. This truck is no different. She hit's 8th gear and MPG drop because the cruise control is giving extra throttle to maintain speed, then it kicks down to 7th. 8th gear doesn't seem beneficial unless I'm on slower secondary roads with 60mph speed limits. Some extra torque on the low end would really help with this.

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
Have ya'll heard anything about the lower intake swap to the 2019 - 2020 3.6 models? I stumbled on some posts about it and they said it added some low end power and response. AGAIN.... it's one of those things that you have to calculate = what's the real world difference vs price?

I honestly never feel like power is an issue until I get on the interstate and the lower torque of the V6 shows itself. My company car is a 4 banger and I've driven V6's most of my life, so I'm use to a motor needing to spool up the RPM's to make power. This truck is no different. She hit's 8th gear and MPG drop because the cruise control is giving extra throttle to maintain speed, then it kicks down to 7th. 8th gear doesn't seem beneficial unless I'm on slower secondary roads with 60mph speed limits. Some extra torque on the low end would really help with this.
Test drive a 2020 model and see if there is a difference,I seriously doubt it as they would be advertising that increase in torque.

clay282

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Test drive a 2020 model and see if there is a difference,I seriously doubt it as they would be advertising that increase in torque.

I figured they would feel totally different with etorque. Don't the new Pentastars all come with etorque? I may be wrong... I haven't really looked at the new 5th gen. My truck might have the 3.6 but it's a pretty loaded up Bighorn. Once I look online and check all the boxes for the same equipment mine has, they're all, well over 50k. Meanwhile, I only have 63k miles and the payoff isn't far off. I can't remember the last time I had NO vehicle payment.

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
Forgot about the etorque,test drive but with intention of not buying,curiosity lol.Personally I have no intention of buying a 5th yet until they bring the pentastars out with a turbo or turbo's.Not buying just for an interior upgrade as mine is class.Have to release the pentastar soon with turbo's as the hemi is getting left behind,hard to buy a hemi with a v6 with same horses etc as eco boost ford.This is going to rattle a few cages lol

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine

The 3.6 is only 220 cubic inches so a lot of torque would call for a turbo. I have the 3:55 gears and would love to have the 3:92 gears. With the two overdrive gears the 8 speed would be perfect with 3:92 gears. Those gears only come with the Rebel. I think my truck would get as good if not better mpg with lower gearing as it would go into 8th gear about 7 mph sooner.

clay282

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The 3.6 is only 220 cubic inches so a lot of torque would call for a turbo. I have the 3:55 gears and would love to have the 3:92 gears. With the two overdrive gears the 8 speed would be perfect with 3:92 gears. Those gears only come with the Rebel. I think my truck would get as good if not better mpg with lower gearing as it would go into 8th gear about 7 mph sooner.

Actually, the base model work trucks come with 3:92's as well. We have just 1 in our work fleet. I only drove it once, but thought it felt faster because it was 2 wheel drive and no options. Pulled the window sticker out of the glove box, sure enough, 3:92 rear end. It was noticeable enough, I looked into changing gears. More $ than I want to spend.

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
Actually, the base model work trucks come with 3:92's as well. We have just 1 in our work fleet. I only drove it once, but thought it felt faster because it was 2 wheel drive and no options. Pulled the window sticker out of the glove box, sure enough, 3:92 rear end. It was noticeable enough, I looked into changing gears. More $ than I want to spend.
Thanks for the post, I did not know base models came with 3:92s. I think all the 3.6 should come with 3:92s.

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Adding a supercharger is the only way to get a significant increase in power. Buy the Hemi.

I could boost my RAM and still come in 10k less than what they wanted for a hemi [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk