3:73 to 4:10 cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JerryETX

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
Figured I'd chime in with my 2 cents. 18 Power Wagon on 35s. 19,500lbs loaded (4.10s Factory/5.38 regear)

I could pull 6% grades in second gear (4.10s) around 55mph with factory 33s or whatever they were.. in second gear (4500 rpm)

I regeared and now run 35"M/T muds and 5.38s. Same hills 3rd gear at 55 no problem (probably around 4000 rpm)

I'm in Az and we literally go from 1000 ft about sea level to 7700 in and hour and a half and most of these lower hills it's 100 plus degrees out. Something unexpected when regearing is the engine braking better down hills as well. The RFE shifts like it should...

I have my 4.10s still if you are interested.
Thanks for the feedback. I’ve learned there isn’t much difference between 3:73 and 4:10. Is there a difference sure but not worth it for me. And also I started this thread because my truck struggled with my TT. I didn’t realize what an impact pulling a TT into 25 mph wind has. I pulled my TT recently with not much headwind and it did a lot better. Still had to stay in 4th gear but could run as fast as I wanted to go with a 38 footer that weighs about 10,500 lbs. We don’t have steep hills where I’m at like you do. I’m going to keep what I have for a while. I appreciate your offer for the 4:10’s.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well then waddafawk! lol ..... I though tow haul didn't disable MDS anymore ... I must be stuck on an old thread or something in my head lol ..

Good to know though, pretty cool that it does that now ...

Thought I read that tow/haul on 2018 RAm 1500 just locks out 8th and you can only go as high as 7th gear unless you floor it ....

On the 5th gens, both T/H and gear limiter instantly disable MDS. Apparently it works differently on 4th gens like yours. But yeah with T/H I will never hit 8th gear with my 3.21, either it actively prevents it or the threshold for shifting into 8th is so high I'll never hit it pulling my trailer.

@JerryETX, the F150 has a lot more HP/Torque than the 6.4 BGE. It's not designed for "max" power, it's designed to make "good" power "reliably", hour after hour, day after day, which is a whole different matter.

There is also the 6.4 SRT which is very closely related to your engine, but makes like 70 more HP. It's only found in cars and the Jeep Grand Wagoneer because it's not designed to work hard.

So it's not that Ram is behind Ford, it's that these 2 engines are built for 2 different tasks. Your 6.4 should be compared to the 6.2 in the F250 and then you will see similar performance as you get in your 2500. The F150 will acelerate quickly, but it's not rated to pull max load and go 4500 RPM's for 12 minutes straight like your engine is. That's the difference. The F150 would explode if it did that day in day out.

And also note that Ford doesn't put that 3.5 turbo in their F250's either, even though it makes more peak power than the Ford 6.2. Same reason; the 6.2 makes reliable power, the turbo doesn't.