3 horse trailer and WDH

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LarryA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
there is a 3 horse trailer at the barn that we can use. I am torn on what to do as I suspect with 3 horses and gear the tongue weight would be too high. I think the WDH would help, but I wonder if the setup changes much with different loads, e.g. 2 horses instead of 3?

Anyone running a 3 horse with WDH?

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I tow a standard 2 horse BP Hawk with my 2500....slightly different beast obviously but when fully loaded we are ~6500 lbs or so with 2 horses and all sorts of crap (expensive crap but crap nonetheless) in the dressing room.

Tongue weight on horse trailers can be much higher than people used to RVs think. My tongue weight is ~1200lbs.

Here is a good calculator to play with:

https://www.doubledtrailers.com/scripts/bumper-pull-weight-calculator.html

What people also forget is that not every horse weighs the same (duh!).....small ponies vs. draft or warmbloods

Last edited:
OP
OP
LarryA

LarryA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tow a standard 2 horse BP Hawk with my 2500....slightly different beast obviously but when fully loaded we are ~6500 lbs or so with 2 horses and all sorts of crap (expensive crap but crap nonetheless) in the dressing room.

Tongue weight on horse trailers can be much higher than people used to RVs think. My tongue weight is ~1200lbs.

Here is a good calculator to play with:

https://www.doubledtrailers.com/scripts/bumper-pull-weight-calculator.html

What people also forget is that not every horse weighs the same (duh!).....small ponies vs. draft or warmbloods

Thanks for the link - that it great information.

The biggest issue for me is the wide variability in load, I am pretty confident that with only 2 horses standing the the rear most stalls will keep me good as far as tongue weights are concerned.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Thanks for the link - that it great information.

The biggest issue for me is the wide variability in load, I am pretty confident that with only 2 horses standing the the rear most stalls will keep me good as far as tongue weights are concerned.

No doubt.

I see plenty of lesser rigs than a 1500 pulling 2 horse BPs with WDHs. Like the Porsche Cayanne, Jeep Cherokee, Explorers, Tacomas, Range Rovers etc.

We do a lot of highway towing with the horse trailer to shows so I prefer the 2500 and don't use a WDH with the Hawk but I will be using a WDH with our travel trailer for the antisway control.

For me, and I'm sure you feel the same way, with horses and their high center of gravity it is all about being smooth and not causing 1000lbs to lose their balance and rock and roll you into a ditch.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
No doubt.

I see plenty of lesser rigs than a 1500 pulling 2 horse BPs with WDHs. Like the Porsche Cayanne, Jeep Cherokee, Explorers, Tacomas, Range Rovers etc.

We do a lot of highway towing with the horse trailer to shows so I prefer the 2500 and don't use a WDH with the Hawk but I will be using a WDH with our travel trailer for the antisway control.

For me, and I'm sure you feel the same way, with horses and their high center of gravity it is all about being smooth and not causing 1000lbs to lose their balance and rock and roll you into a ditch.
Man last time I pulled a bumper pull stock trailer I had a 1/2 ford and it had a 2k lb bull in it. NEVER again lol. It was the worst 1hr of my life. “And I served in the army” lmao. Only gooseneck from there on out. Just for the comfort it’s worth.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I used to pull a 25 foot 2 stall horse trailer with a tack room. With 2 horses and a lot of crap in the tack room, my 2500 didn't even care that it was back there. No WDH hitch, just a regular ball hitch in the receiver.

jarred

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Tradesman 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Ive hauled a 18 foot delta 3 horse with a ecodiesel 1500 and my 2500, the WDH and sway bars do great and help ease off the tongue weight. Looking into it more for a 4000 mile haul, its not the WDH you have to worry about, its the class hitch you are using. WDH will easily deal with 1200 lbs tongue weight, but on a 1500 the class IV hitch has less of a rating. 1500 always hauled fine with no sag in the rear axle, but you will notice it up and down grades. Hopefully youre good with the electric brake unit.