3 party warranty plan?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anybody have experience with warranty plans not offered by Dodge? I would like to get some for my 15, 16, and 01 Ram.
Thanks!

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Not worth the paper they are written upon with too many exclusions and no skin in the game by the 3rd party. Mopar extended warranty is the only way to go but even then they too have the upper hand...and your money.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Agree with the others..... these are largely just a scam. Full of exclusions and fine print.

btw..... are you really looking for a warranty for an 18 year old truck? That's like a 98 year old person in hospice trying to get life insurance.

OP
OP
M

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not worth the paper they are written upon with too many exclusions and no skin in the game by the 3rd party. Mopar extended warranty is the only way to go but even then they too have the upper hand...and your money.

Third party warranties have lots of conditions you have to meet. And from what I have read , difficult to deal with.

Agree with the others..... these are largely just a scam. Full of exclusions and fine print.

btw..... are you really looking for a warranty for an 18 year old truck? That's like a 98 year old person in hospice trying to get life insurance.
Well thanks guys for your opinions. Yes I am my old boss (who died God reat his soul) had a 3rd party insurance on a 94 Ram and they replaced the tranny and rear end with a deductible is $100

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If you're buying one from a Ram dealership, or a big dealer chain, those companies/contracts tend to be quite good. Dealers aren't going to sell you one that doesn't pay out easily.

That said, I'm not a big "extended warranty" buying guy, but they can work out ok for you.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Quite often 3rd party warrantys insist on junk yard parts so you're just delaying your headache instead of fixing it.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Usually cost an arm and a leg, then cost even more when you have to use it, and always a fight to do so

RamRMK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 3rd party extended warranty bumper to bumper. It saved me money over the ram extended warranty and already used it when my air ride compressor crapped out. It has a $100 deductible but it has already paid for itself. Obviously you just need to research and ask your service department about coverages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
I also have a 3rd party warranty and used it on my Brake master cylinder and booster. Only paid deductible of $100.

Was a pretty painless experience. As long as you buy the right warranty to cover what you know you want covered then you should be golden. Mine says covers all except maintenance items and they list those items so you know exactly what they are talking about.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
To expand on the above, I would never buy one unless it is recommended by the service departments you like to work with.

The one I reluctantly bought with my wife's used Nissan van from a Nissan dealership cost $2k for 5yrs/100kmi. Zero deductible provided you stay in the huge dealer chain. $100 outside. Even covers some wear items like shocks and struts.

Could it be a waste of $2k? Yep. I did it because it was an ex rental and has a CVT trans.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Research the exact name of the 3rd party company online and you'll probably be surprised how many complaints and negative reviews it has. I stupidly bought Century warranty when I bought my truck and returned it after seeing so many bad reviews. Trying to cancel it was challenging as well ....

I would only buy Mopar factory warranty, not 3rd party

oldguy2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I worked in the auto repair business for 30 years. 20 for Chrysler as a mechanic and then a service manager. Chrysler contracts are very good but expensive. After market ones are cheaper but sometimes the companies can be hard to deal with. In my experience as a service manager I never had one refuse to pay as long as the customer had service records. The same is true for Chrysler though. You MUST keep good service records.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
I worked in the auto repair business for 30 years. 20 for Chrysler as a mechanic and then a service manager. Chrysler contracts are very good but expensive. After market ones are cheaper but sometimes the companies can be hard to deal with. In my experience as a service manager I never had one refuse to pay as long as the customer had service records. The same is true for Chrysler though. You MUST keep good service records.
Maybe they all 'paid' but I've heard horror stories that it doesn't cover for proper repair, and will only do absolute minimum to get it 'repaired' Eg: your oils isn't leaking, it's barely dropping so it's normal.

New parts? Must be of same milage as what trucks has, so get them from junkyard.

Bought your aftermarket warranty on a used truck? Sorry, that issue is a pre existing condition, not covered.

You did your own oil changes? So what you have receipts of buying oil and filters, there's no proof of you actually putting it into your truck.

All these were the reviews of some of the aftermarket warranties.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Warranty and insurance companies don't stay in business by paying more out than they make on average. So they usually win. Plus I like mods which will likely cause warranty issues. And mods are fun

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Like buying life Insurance from a guy standing on a Corner.

oldguy2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Kap1 just is not correct. No they are not going to give you a brand new engine but neither will the factory. You need a starter or alternator? You get a rebuilt. Yes you have to have records but as I said before the factory requires records also. That's for warranty work as well as a service contract. You have to be reasonable in your expectations.

NoMPG2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have cars protection plus. Paid $1800 for a 3 year warranty. Just had to have my ball joints replaced on my 2010. For them to cover it in full they wanted to order $8 ball joints from rock auto. The bill was just over $600 and I paid half to get moog. Will never get one again. Also, read the fine print, if the truck is not 100% totally stock and you buy the warranty, it will be voided and you will lose out on all your money.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Kap1 just is not correct. No they are not going to give you a brand new engine but neither will the factory. You need a starter or alternator? You get a rebuilt. Yes you have to have records but as I said before the factory requires records also. That's for warranty work as well as a service contract. You have to be reasonable in your expectations.
You're not correct, there are many posts in this forum of the factory extended warranty puting new engines in on trucks over 100k miles.