30% over 5.9 Cummins injectors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rockshaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
Sorry if not in the right place. I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 w/5.9 Cummins HO. pretty much stock, do have a edge ez I put on it. 220,000 miles. Havent had it long but is starting to take a bit to start and there is a intermittent miss with no cel . Pretty much thinking it’s injectors at this early point. I pull from time to time a 33’ travel trailer and a daily driver.
With all said I have been trying to find out if 30% over injectors would be to much for everything stock as it is. And if I do the injectors will I be able to still use ez or will one cancel the other out? Any help would be appreciated. There is a lot of conflicting info out there…

JNelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Remember the more fuel your pouring to it the hotter she will run. On my 2001 5.9 I went with a stage 1 injector and a tuner. It worked well for 436,000 miles. Then I sold the truck. I would put an EGT in for sure.

Before you replace them, pour some Sea Foam fuel additive in your fuel filer. Drain all the fuel out of the canister first. Then run like you stole it for about 5 minutes.

CharlesinGA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins 305 hp HO
Are you still running the stock fuel lift pump? round cylindrical pump bolted to the back of the fuel filter? '03 and '04 models use it, then Mopar went to the in tank pump on the late '04 or with the '05, not sure of the exact switch over. This pump is a known failure item. No longer supplied by Mopar, but available aftermarket. I was intending to install a FASS pump but they are noisy and I wanted a "as stock" system so I located a Mopar fuel pump conversion that installs an intank pump and removes the original lift pump. The pump sits vertically with the electrical connector at the top facing aft on the back side of the filter housing. Extreme Diesel sells some high flow in tank pumps also.

Charles

s-l1600.jpg

The link below is a Youtube video on how to install an in tank pump, However they do show you what the original lift pump looks like and where it would be located. I will not be dropping the tank, thats a lot of work. I can have the bed off in a half hour or so and I don't have to get under it and spill fuel, etc.

How to Install Fuel Pump E7187M in 2003-2004 Dodge Ram Pick Up Converted to Use an In-Tank Pump

Another one on how to replace the lift pump on the motor.

2004 Dodge 5.9 diesel lift pump install

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rockshaker

Rockshaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
Yes I just had a Fass fuel pump put on professionally done. Thank you for the help. I put in new injectors and the rough ideal has seem to disappeared for now…