31" to 29" Tires = the same as 3.21 to 3.55 gear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Payload is rated at 1907lb. I will be riding solo for deliveries, so -200lb, 100lbs for gear/tools, still leaves me at 1607lbs. I have only pulled about 3000lbs in my 5x8 trailer and it had no issue. 305hp is where most V8s were not too long ago, granted the 6 is not a torquey.

My main concern was safety and LEO, but I think I will be alright. If I can just get two loads a week in a 30 mile radius(no long hauls or high speed), I'd be happy with that side cash. I have a good paying full time job already. If things work out and I keep getting calls, I'll definitely step up to the 2500. Right now I see some gassers going for $36k brand new. I could swing that, but I am in the middle of building a house right now. Probably won't be done for another 4-6 months. So got to wait to buy new truck.

1907lbs? that’s huge for a 1500.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
it’s fun right? I was just being lazy. Lol

I was using torque multiplication numbers probably before you were born,lol. I've been around the block a few times,with way more passes down a 1/4 mile track then i like to admit,lol. Started out drag racing a brand new 77 Ford shortbox,that ran 13.7's way back in the late 70's.Then once my 68Z was track ready it became my track toy in early 1980,lol

IMG_3524 (2).JPG

ScannedImage-4.jpg

OP
OP
Back Road Bound
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I was using torque multiplication numbers probably before you were born,lol. I've been around the block a few times,with way more passes down a 1/4 mile track then i like to admit,lol. Started out drag racing a brand new 77 Ford shortbox,that ran 13.7's way back in the late 70's.Then once my 68Z was track ready it became my track toy in early 1980,lol

View attachment 230248

View attachment 230249
Nice rides!
They closed our local drag strip down a couple years ago. :(

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes sir. That's why I am saying it seems only limitation is gearing/power. So I'm about to put this little V6 to work and try to make some $$$ to put towards a big boy truck.

That’s the highest I’ve heard for a 4gen! I’m at 1600 something in a crew v6 4x4

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

View attachment 230248

View attachment 230249

yep, but was I born too late... As in “I’m the last of GEN-X, but can tune Q-jet”.

:cheers:

OP
OP
Back Road Bound
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
That’s the highest I’ve heard for a 4gen! I’m at 1600 something in a crew v6 4x4
Its a bare bones 2wd that I picked up for $19,500 at the peak of COVID lock downs.

Could probably get all my money back on trade for a 2500, but got to watch my finances until the new house is finished.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its a bare bones 2wd that I picked up for $19,500 at the peak of COVID lock downs.

Could probably get all my money back on trade for a 2500, but got to watch my finances until the new house is finished.

Glad to see your priorities are aligned. I was in the same boat a few years back. Need a house for sure!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Nice rides!
They closed our local drag strip down a couple years ago. :(

Our local track closed about 6 years ago,now i make a 300 mile round trip to race on friday nights at the next closest track.That sucks as my truck and the wifes car make the trip every friday night during our race season up here.The wife drag races her 1320 Challenger to,aarrgghh,lol.

OP
OP
Back Road Bound
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Our local track closed about 6 years ago,now i make a 300 mile round trip to race on friday nights at the next closest track.That sucks as my truck and the wifes car make the trip every friday night during our race season up here.The wife drag races her 1320 Challenger to,aarrgghh,lol.
Dedication! Sounds like you got a keeper for sure.

I have two little tikes right now, so when I am not working I try to give them as much time as I can. Maybe when they get in their teens and don't want to hang out with me anymore I'll get something fast again. Lol

Just so ya'll know I'm not bsing on payload. My little 1/2 ton pickup is pretty much a true 1 ton.
20201209_224048.jpg

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah my 4x4 Tradesman V6 was rated at 1590 lbs, the lighter drivetrain compared to the Hemi or Diesel makes a difference.

Circling back to the original question: The factory tow ratings aren't legal limits in the US (some other countries list the max trailer weight in the registration so there is no ambiguity). Legal limits are GVWR of the truck and the trailer as well as axle ratings. Plus the drivers license once you get to 26k combined (with a Class C). Some states also register by weight so that's another wrinkle.

The factory tow ratings are based on SAE J2807 which stipulate certain capabilities like repeated hill starts on a 15% grade. If you pull heavier loads than rated the truck might overheat, grenade the transmission or stall out on a steep hill.

That doesn't mean you can pull whatever combination you want. There are also aspects of safety and negligence, like pulling a 45ft trailer with a 20ft truck. Even within the factory tow ratings that might not be safe, the tail wagging the dog kinda situation.

OP
OP
Back Road Bound
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Yeah my 4x4 Tradesman V6 was rated at 1590 lbs, the lighter drivetrain compared to the Hemi or Diesel makes a difference.

Circling back to the original question: The factory tow ratings aren't legal limits in the US (some other countries list the max trailer weight in the registration so there is no ambiguity). Legal limits are GVWR of the truck and the trailer as well as axle ratings. Plus the drivers license once you get to 26k combined (with a Class C). Some states also register by weight so that's another wrinkle.

The factory tow ratings are based on SAE J2807 which stipulate certain capabilities like repeated hill starts on a 15% grade. If you pull heavier loads than rated the truck might overheat, grenade the transmission or stall out on a steep hill.

That doesn't mean you can pull whatever combination you want. There are also aspects of safety and negligence, like pulling a 45ft trailer with a 20ft truck. Even within the factory tow ratings that might not be safe, the tail wagging the dog kinda situation.
Thanks for the info!
We are in a pretty flat area, so I think I'll be alright. I'm actually thinking about stepping up to the 10k 6x12 Big Tex 90SR with ramps and keeping it under 7k loaded. That way I can haul my B3300SU tractor as well. Then once I get my 2500 truck in about 6 months I can have another 1.5 tons of load capacity without stressing the dual 5200lb rated axles.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

Gotta remember that your 1-ton+ CC duallys are 20 ft long and can pull 45ft trailers all day with no issues so long as you are paying attention. They've got the tires and suspension to do it though - a CCLB half ton doesn't have that.

That said, you're absolutely right about safety and negligence being two big hitters - if you're towing 70+mph with an overloaded setup, it's not a matter of if you're going to get in an accident, it's a matter of how many people get hurt when it happens.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Law enforcement isn't going to stop you as long as you have lights on your trailer and tagged if required by your state. We don't carry around scales to weigh vehicles and trailers. Now D. O. T. is a whole other story, but they are mainly looking at commercial vehicles and semi truck/trailers

OP
OP
Back Road Bound
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Law enforcement isn't going to stop you as long as you have lights on your trailer and tagged if required by your state. We don't carry around scales to weigh vehicles and trailers. Now D. O. T. is a whole other story, but they are mainly looking at commercial vehicles and semi truck/trailers
Yeah the local dealer is trying to sell me on a 14k 14LD, which is more heavy duty for only a few hundred dollars more and only a few hundred pounds extra empty weight. If I only haul a 2-3 tons I should be good, given the weight ratings of my truck and take it easy.