32 Gallon Tank Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I am adding a 72 Gal AUX tank to the Bed of my 2021 Ecodiesel. This
will give me 105 Gallons on board. The Best Mileage I have gotten was
28.5 mpg. So, this will give me about a 3000 mile range.

Malodave
Don’t forget to factor out the weight of the added fuel from Your payload rating. It’s the only thing keeping me from adding the 55 gal to my CTD - payload already is meh because of the CTD and with this rig, I’ll likely always use a bumper tow vs. 5th wheel.

I’ve been on the fence myself; any CTD 2500 guys out there do the swap to the 55 gal and regret it?

It sucks that so many folks with 1500s have the fueling issue. That would drive me insane.

howie12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 gas
DOes anyone have a clue what happens to the rollover valve over time? My 2020 1500 nwith the 32 gallon tank filled fine when new and started to have a problem just as the 3 year warranty was comiing to its end with 25,000 or so miles on the truck. Can the rollover valve be removed or repaired once the tank is taken down?

I took mine to the dealer to have a look and after an hour and a $130 diagnostic charge they said the piping, vent and canister were fine and that I should replace the fuel pump but no guarantee that was the issue. As I look at the details of the fuel pump that I can see in the parts manual I see no way that it can have anything to do with the fueling problem.

The dealer says Ram will not cover anything associated with this problem under the warranty. It seems like a raw deal to me and after a lifetime of buying mostly Chrysler corp cars and trucks it doesn't make me happy that is for sure.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
DOes anyone have a clue what happens to the rollover valve over time? My 2020 1500 nwith the 32 gallon tank filled fine when new and started to have a problem just as the 3 year warranty was comiing to its end with 25,000 or so miles on the truck. Can the rollover valve be removed or repaired once the tank is taken down?

I took mine to the dealer to have a look and after an hour and a $130 diagnostic charge they said the piping, vent and canister were fine and that I should replace the fuel pump but no guarantee that was the issue. As I look at the details of the fuel pump that I can see in the parts manual I see no way that it can have anything to do with the fueling problem.

The dealer says Ram will not cover anything associated with this problem under the warranty. It seems like a raw deal to me and after a lifetime of buying mostly Chrysler corp cars and trucks it doesn't make me happy that is for sure.
Is your truck still under warranty? It’s a common well known problem. When I had the same problem with my 2018 the parts guy at the local dealer said it’s either the evap canister or fuel tank and it’s cheaper to replace both on my own versus having the dealer diagnose and repair. That was over a year ago and the fuel tanks were a lot less expensive then. If it’s still under warranty try a different dealer or elevate your complaint. As for the rollover valve I’ve heard that theory too but in all honesty it’s nothing more than a check valve consisting of a small stainless ball and a spring in the fuel inlet neck. On my 2018 I read that pulling the spring out would fix my slow fuel problem. I pulled it out and it did nothing. In fact it allowed the gas to push back up through the fill neck and splash over the side. If you look at the first pic below the filler hose is on the right and the rollover valve is the green plastic piece it connects to. The white circle in the center is the fuel pump and the actual tank vent is the blue valve on the left. As you can see it’s molded into the tank and can’t be replaced. The second pic you can see what that vent valve looks like from the inside of the tank. The black corrugated tube connects to the fuel pump inside the tank. Typically the fuel fill problems arise from that blue vent valve, the poorly designed early fuel filler necks or a plugged evap canister.

Attachments

• DF51293C-2AC3-470B-ABAD-4A03A819B2B6.jpeg
    DF51293C-2AC3-470B-ABAD-4A03A819B2B6.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 0234808B-C999-42DB-963C-41734667F747.jpeg
    0234808B-C999-42DB-963C-41734667F747.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 30

rockmanm35

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
my 2017 Laramie came with the 32 gal tank and I really like it for range (~600 miles)..

howie12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 gas
Is your truck still under warranty? It’s a common well known problem. When I had the same problem with my 2018 the parts guy at the local dealer said it’s either the evap canister or fuel tank and it’s cheaper to replace both on my own versus having the dealer diagnose and repair. That was over a year ago and the fuel tanks were a lot less expensive then. If it’s still under warranty try a different dealer or elevate your complaint. As for the rollover valve I’ve heard that theory too but in all honesty it’s nothing more than a check valve consisting of a small stainless ball and a spring in the fuel inlet neck. On my 2018 I read that pulling the spring out would fix my slow fuel problem. I pulled it out and it did nothing. In fact it allowed the gas to push back up through the fill neck and splash over the side. If you look at the first pic below the filler hose is on the right and the rollover valve is the green plastic piece it connects to. The white circle in the center is the fuel pump and the actual tank vent is the blue valve on the left. As you can see it’s molded into the tank and can’t be replaced. The second pic you can see what that vent valve looks like from the inside of the tank. The black corrugated tube connects to the fuel pump inside the tank. Typically the fuel fill problems arise from that blue vent valve, the poorly designed early fuel filler necks or a plugged evap canister.
Thanks for the great pics and the useful response. The roll over valve seems pretty foolproof and should be easy to see if it is free and working with the tank off. Truck ran out of the 3 year warranty just before Christnas but problem started before that. I will need to refresh my memory on how to elevate the issue with Ram

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the great pics and the useful response. The roll over valve seems pretty foolproof and should be easy to see if it is free and working with the tank off. Truck ran out of the 3 year warranty just before Christnas but problem started before that. I will need to refresh my memory on how to elevate the issue with Ram
It’s not a difficult DYI repair if you choose to go that route. I see that fuel tanks have doubled in price the past year. My 26 gallon tank was $265 14 months ago and it’s now $650. You could replace the fuel tank and evap canister for less than $800 yourself while I’ve seen quotes of $2000 and up from dealer repairs.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had to swap out the evap can ions ago around d 60 or 80k miles. It's cheap, quick, and easy. Not saying that's your issue, just that I wouldn't hesitate to change it again and it wouldn't hurt to swap if you're having any type of issues.

LeeD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Having the 33 gallon tank is nice in not having to fill it often. It on a trip it’s my bladder that stops me more than needing fuel.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did this swap a couple years ago and it's great. I need to try that Alfa programmer as I just go according to the gauge

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another money wrench to add to this, sometimes it can be the filler neck causing the fuel nozzle cutoff. I had my filler neck replaced with the newer style, and also do not have the problem where the nozzle is difficult to put into or remove from the filler neck.