3500 Diesel or Gas for Full Time Fifth Wheel 14K GVWR?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rghurst

Reaction score
Total newbie here trying to decide between 3500 diesel or gas. I suppose I am interested more than anything in whether the Hemi will endure the daily grind of full-time RV living. I would like to have a higher payload with gas but want reliability and longevity more than anything. Seasoned opinions are highly appreciated. Thanks.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I pulled the same toy hauler with a '15 6.4 gasser and current '19 Cummins. Absolutely no comparison. The Cummins rarely downshifts, where the Hemi was really turning R's on grades. The even bigger difference is the exhaust brake which will keep service brake use to a minimum.

My 6.4 did an amirable job, but the Cummins is the right tool for the job.

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
We are full timers and my ‘21 2500 Hemi does a great job pulling a 5W that’s about 10,500 lbs loaded up. That said, the 14k you’re looking at is diesel territory, especially if you’ll be towing in mountain areas. Just keep an eye on that payload, I have no idea what a 3500 diesel is rated at but the 2500 diesel is down around 2k lbs. Only other advice I’d offer is if you full time it stay under on ALL weight ratings…PL, axles, truck, trailer, combined, etc. Good luck and have fun!E4FD593B-4B12-4D15-A75E-8C42DAC8A55C.jpeg

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
We full-time part-time, that is we travel about half the year and the other half we stay home. When traveling we tow a 40 foot Montana 3790RD fifth wheel with 3K of pin weight and 16K of tow weight. The TV is a single rear wheel, standard bed, 3500 Longhorn with the Cummins, and the 68RFE tranny. I don't recall my payload number but I think it is just north of 3.8K.

After 6 seasons of towing and more than 34,000 miles traveled, we have been issue-free, with no problems. I made the right choice when it came to a tow vehicle. Hands down the Cummins, single rear wheels, and the Longhorn (or Limited) trim, and rear air leveling suspension. Why?

The diesel makes towing fun and effortlessly including the hills going up and down. The fuel economy is great with my averages between 11 and 13 depending on wind load.

Single rear wheels, ample capacity, and control. The issue with duals is parking, particularly in sightseeing venues. Also, many places we visit are down long narrow, and often dirt/sand-covered roads. Way too tight for DRW.

The Longhorn and the Limited trim offer very comfortable seating surfaces, much different than the Laramie. You will appreciate the seating after 6 plus hours of traveling.

I also added the BD Diesel 2 wheel drive low range kit. This allows the truck to be put into 4 wheel drive low without engaging the front axle. This gives you the power to maneuver when parking your camper without using the accelerator and prevents steering binds.

If you chose a fifth-wheel camper, either order the long bed (keeping in mind parking issues at venues) or get a slider hitch.

20170625_105822.jpg

Last edited:

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We full time with a 2500 6.4 with the 4.1 with 14500 and have no issues. Would I rather a 3500 diesel? Yes, just couldn't justify it as we don't move much and the cost is so much more expensive (including the maintenance). If you move a lot and can afford it, get the diesel.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
As a full timer, Cummins. My 6.4 was a great truck, but the Cummins is better at towing. My tow capacity is north of 20,000 pounds, and my payload is 5800 pounds, such a great tow rig

OP
OP
R

rghurst

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. This is all very helpful information and much appreciated. I am definitely going diesel based on this feedback. In a town nearby is for sale a 3500 diesel 3.42 axle ratio, Laramie Sport trim. With a 6.5’ bed would a slider or regular hitch be necessary?

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You’ll need a slider with that short bed. I have a Pullrite Superglide that works well.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
3500 Diesel and if you are worried about payload go with the dually. Payload will be higher than 5k lbs. No issues.

Bearcatrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hard to give you an answer not knowing what you will be towing?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks everyone. This is all very helpful information and much appreciated. I am definitely going diesel based on this feedback. In a town nearby is for sale a 3500 diesel 3.42 axle ratio, Laramie Sport trim. With a 6.5’ bed would a slider or regular hitch be necessary?
Before you plunk down dollars, make sure the payload capacity for your intended trailer is there. Just because a truck has a diesel engine does not mean it is right for the trailer. My family has pulled TTs and 5th wheels for decades, so a lot of experience buying trucks and trailers. We have never had a salesperson be correct on towing specs and always were pushing heavier than allowed trailers. Know your numbers before you buy anything.

I ran a 2003 2500 8' CC 5.7 (and still in use) and now a 2018 2500 8' CC 6.4. Buy buying the correct weight trailer I have never wished I had a diesel. That is towing at sea level, mountains from NC to NE, and out west mountains. Of course, if we had wanted a heavier trailer we would probably need a diesel, but I just don't want that so I stay in my limits. FYI, I lived in the trailer for about a year plus regular camping. Good luck.

Fjr vfr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a short 6’4” standard bed. I bought a manual slider I’ve never used it in the slide position! Most any of the newer 2010 on up trailers with the curved front clear the cab no problem I’ve taken mine beyond 90 degrees with a slight up grade without issue
My previous truck was a 5.7 hemi My current truck is the 6.7 Cummins I can tell you the difference is night and day The diesel does not break a sweat climbing while the gas truck would shift down and slow down while screaming high rev’s
Also my fuel economy nearly doubled more than covering the higher fuel cost
So imho go with the diesel
Good luck

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a short 6’4” standard bed. I bought a manual slider I’ve never used it in the slide position! Most any of the newer 2010 on up trailers with the curved front clear the cab no problem I’ve taken mine beyond 90 degrees with a slight up grade without issue
My previous truck was a 5.7 hemi My current truck is the 6.7 Cummins I can tell you the difference is night and day The diesel does not break a sweat climbing while the gas truck would shift down and slow down while screaming high rev’s
Also my fuel economy nearly doubled more than covering the higher fuel cost
So imho go with the diesel
Good luck
I agree. Short bed here...all of my trucks have been. I have the sliding 5th wheel hitch also. Used it once when I first towed because I was told I had to with the short bed. Haven't used it since. It is still nice to have if I would need it, but if you pay attention you will be fine. A friend of ours has a long bed Ford and while at the same campground as us, but at a different time, he hit the camper and back of pickup...broke out the rear window and did some damage to the cab of truck too. So, bottom line if you pay attention you will be fine. If you don't, no matter what you drive you can screw up. Also, this is my first gas. Everything else has been cummins. It gets the job done. If I could tow with a cummins I definitely would over a gas. Just completely different feel to it. I went gas because we only tow a handful of times a year, and only 50 miles 1 way. I drive 1 mile to work everyday. I didn't want to have issues with emissions on the cummins doing that. I also love the quick warmup of gas in the winter. Both have advantages and disadvantages...happy with my decision to go gas, but still love the cummins and would jump back into one in a second if my driving changed!!!

cutterman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Newer 5th wheels are being designed to be towed with short beds. I have a 40’ Avalanche and use factory puck system with a B&W fixed hitch. I can turn just as much as the long beds.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Three big advantages to the diesel engine for towing. You get 25% more miles per gallon so you can go further between fuel stops. The added low RPM torque means faster acceleration and safer merging with highway traffic or passing a very slow tractor trailer rig on long grades with less exposure. Third is the exhaust brake for downgrades which when it works properly can be amazing and greatly helps with control.

The diesel is going to be less reliable than a gas engine and far more costly to maintain and to repair. The reliabiility issues are with the more complex emissions controls needed for an engine that burns diesel, a very dirty fuel. The dirty fuel and high rail pressure is why fuel injector solenoids can need to be replaced in less than 100K miles of driving and for a V-8 engine the bill will be more than $4,000. The diesel engine needs more frequent oil changes and fuel filter changes than is the case with a gas engine. Twice as much oil with the diesel engine and two batteries to replace. Diesel fuel is also more prone to gelling in cold weather and to algae growth that can clog the fuel system (and expensive repair).

Pulling a heavy trailer the diesel is the best option but expect it to cost a great deal more in total than a truck with a gas engine.

I had a diesel pickup that I used for hauling heavy payloads and towing a 13K lb trailer and I had 3 vacation trips that had to be aborted as a result of problems with the emissions control system components while out on the road. I have only found one dealer with competent diesel engine mechanics out of seven that I have taken my truck to for diagnostics and repairs. The lack of reliability is why I decided to sell the truck.

Jbinramona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
2016 Ram3500 4WD 6.7 Cummins Aisin Transmission 4.10 rear diff. Upgraded 19.5" wheels and G rated tires.

29,000 going down the road.
I have held a Class A license since 1997, so am not afraid of weight, I know how to tow (LOL). This setup tows like it's not even there. My wife even drives it occasionally.
Call me crazy, but it works for us.rv.jpg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
As a retired Log truck driver from California, definitely go with the diesel, I use the engine brake all the time every time I drive it. I also use the manual version on the Auto tranny. With a 5 er that size, I have a 32ft fifth wheel that weighs in at about 14k, go with the long bed. Parking is not too bad with practice.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
2016 Ram3500 4WD 6.7 Cummins Aisin Transmission 4.10 rear diff. Upgraded 19.5" wheels and G rated tires.

29,000 going down the road.
I have held a Class A license since 1997, so am not afraid of weight, I know how to tow (LOL). This setup tows like it's not even there. My wife even drives it occasionally.
Call me crazy, but it works for us.View attachment 481357

Okay... I am calling you crazy! :Insane:Was it hard getting used to having that thing on the roof of your truck? I think I would be afraid of even loading that thing up on the roof much less hauling it down the road. It is a very nice rig though!:happy107: