3500 Rear Axle off center

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
Hey guys, I have a 2019 3500 SRW, I just noticed my rear axle is not centered. Difference of a half inch when measuring from frame to outside of tire. I haven’t read this one before. Anyone else have this issue? I’m taking it to the dealer next week to have it looked at.

Ricktara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So on my 2019 2500 measuring from frame to outside of tires at top I have 13 5/8 on left side and 14 1/2 on right side for your reference.

OP
OP
RedneckHippy

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
So on my 2019 2500 measuring from frame to outside of tires at top I have 13 5/8 on left side and 14 1/2 on right side for your reference.
that’s even more difference than mine, have you talked to your dealer about it?

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 2019 3500 SRW, I just noticed my rear axle is not centered. Difference of a half inch when measuring from frame to outside of tire. I haven’t read this one before. Anyone else have this issue? I’m taking it to the dealer next week to have it looked at.

Call up a guy who does alignments before you speak with the dealer.

OP
OP
RedneckHippy

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
Call up a guy who does alignments before you speak with the dealer.
Just curious why? It is a brand new truck, only a 1000 miles on it, it should be covered under warranty right? A guy shouldn’t have to live with a truck that’s got a tire sticking out a half inch further on one side than the other. Bad on me for not noticing before I bought it, but I didn’t think I’d have to make sure the factory got the axle centered under the truck.

Ricktara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
that’s even more difference than mine, have you talked to your dealer about it?
I have been in the auto dealer business for years. I learned years ago that the engineers are smarter than me and I certainly don’t think anything is wrong with mine. Measuring tire to frame and comparing side to side is a very arbitrary measurement. My truck runs straight down the road with no weird tire wear, so i am not looking for problems.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Just curious why? It is a brand new truck, only a 1000 miles on it, it should be covered under warranty right? A guy shouldn’t have to live with a truck that’s got a tire sticking out a half inch further on one side than the other. Bad on me for not noticing before I bought it, but I didn’t think I’d have to make sure the factory got the axle centered under the truck.

Warranty yes,
But ask a guy that does alignments first so if the dealer says its not an issue and the alignment guy says it is you know you have to press the dealer to repair it.

OP
OP
RedneckHippy

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
Warranty yes,
But ask a guy that does alignments first so if the dealer says its not an issue and the alignment guy says it is you know you have to press the dealer to repair it.
Ok, thanks, I appreciate your input.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just a half inch? Seems normal to me. Is it tracking weird down the road? How about the difference from the fender or bedsides?

A half inch seems very minuscule to me. I have never measured mine, but I would be willing to bet most vehicles in general are this way. Who says the frame isnt designed to be shifted over on one side anyway?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe go to the dealer and measure a few more trucks on the lot. I reckon you will find slight variances on all of them.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

A 2500 has coils springs and a track bar, so it will shift side to side during suspension travel.

OP
OP
RedneckHippy

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
Maybe go to the dealer and measure a few more trucks on the lot. I reckon you will find slight variances on all of them.
Yeah, I’ll check around, it’s just obvious when you look at the tire sticking out from one side vs the other. The bed is already not centered with the cab, and if I try and make up for it by shifting the bed then will be even more off from the cab.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, I’ll check around, it’s just obvious when you look at the tire sticking out from one side vs the other. The bed is already not centered with the cab, and if I try and make up for it by shifting the bed then will be even more off from the cab.

The bed isnt even lined up with the cab? Hmmmm. Sounds like the truck may have got a little beat up in shipping or something...how could they let that go from the factory?

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
How does the drive shaft alignment look?

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe loosen the mounting bolts and move the bed over a bit. I did this for my cab as my driver side was 3/4” outside fender vs the other side.

OP
OP
RedneckHippy

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
Maybe loosen the mounting bolts and move the bed over a bit. I did this for my cab as my driver side was 3/4” outside fender vs the other side.
I would if that didn’t mean it would be even more out of alignment with my cab than it already was. I‘ve just decided to quit being picky about it and say **** it, it’s a truck.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
check the leaf springs to see if theyre centered in the shackles. that may be the problem. also, you should try to find a more precise spot to measure besides the tire. they arent exact from one tire to the next and theres a radius at the edge which makes it difficult to get precise results. jack the rear up and pull off the tires then see if you can measure from the axle hub or brake rotor or something